Mantic Minotaur 23.10 Wallpaper Competition

The Minotaur Approaches

We are very excited to announce the Ubuntu 23.10 (Mantic Minotaur) Wallpaper Competition! Perhaps you didn’t hear, but the next release of Ubuntu is named after one of the most iconic mythological creatures from Greek antiquity: The Minotaur. This fearsome creature inspired countless works of timeless art and we hope this still holds true today.

As in competitions past, we’ll be collecting submissions here on the Ubuntu Discourse via this thread. After the submission window closes, members of the community can vote on their favorite entries. The top EIGHT submissions will be included in the Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur!

Competition Rules

If you’d like to join in the fun, there are a few important rules that you need to follow:

• You must own the rights to the image you are submitting, it should be your original work of art.
  • The full quality image must be 3840x2160px. PNG, WebP or JPEG formats are acceptable.
  • Please ensure you create a high quality image. Avoid image compression artifacts, pixelation, chromatic aberration and noise. Please do not add any watermarks, names or logos. See also these helpful guidelines from GNOME on screen backgrounds.
  • The Ubuntu Discourse will automatically compress all posted images. A full resolution submission will be requested of the chosen winners at the conclusion of the competition.
  • When posting your image, please include a note that you are licensing the image as CC BY-SA 4.0 or CC BY 4.0. If you do not specify a license we will assume CC BY-SA 4.0. By entering the competition you are agreeing to these license terms.
  • AI generated artwork is not explicitly disallowed, however many popular AI art generation tools use a license that do not align with the license that we require for the competition.
  • Along with your artwork, please include a title social handle (Mastodon, TwitterX) handle so that we can tag you on social media.

Those who don’t abide by the rules will be disqualified and possibly sent to the labyrinth.

Important Dates

Be sure to chisel the following dates into your calendar:

2023-08-04T00:00:00Z - Submission window opens.

2023-08-25T00:00:00Z - Submission window closes and voting period begins.

2023-09-01T00:00:00Z - Voting period closes and the winners are announced!

Finding your Mantic Muse

Struggling to find inspiration? Check out the results from previous wallpaper competitions:

Ubuntu 22.10 Results

Ubuntu 23.04 Results

REMEMBER: Submissions don’t have to be Minotaur themed. While we think the mascot is awesome, we love including a diverse set of wallpapers in our releases.

That’s it! We look forward to seeing your legendary submissions!

RESULTS

Thank you to all the incredible artists who participated in this Ubuntu Wallpaper Competition! We had 71 stunning submissions with a significant number coming from new community members. We also had a tie for the 8th spot which means Mantic will ship with NINE community wallpapers!

Here are the results and winners of the Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur Wallpaper Competition:

Submission Final Vote Count
:star:WINNER - The Ubuntu Warrior - @jt05 29
:star:WINNER - Minotaur Maze - @mo-taymour 26
:star:WINNER - Mino1a - @sbutcher 26
:star:WINNER - Milkyway - @mizuno-as 24
:star:WINNER - Bodacious Bovine Light/Dark - @oklopfer 22
:star:WINNER - Haukelivegen Norway - @madsrh 20
:star:WINNER - The Mountain King - @seashxlls 20
:star:WINNER - Bane of Theseus - @aaronprisk 19
:star:WINNER - Mantic Minotaur - @gixo 19
* Horns - @gixo 17
* M.Taur - @abhishek-k-k 15
* The Labyrinth’s End - @seashxlls 15
* Fox of the early afternoon - @mizuno-as 15
* Diamond and Mount Yōtei - @mizuno-as 15
* Waves - @gixo 13
* Rjukan Norway - @madsrh 13
* Bøyabreen Norway - @alexstrand7-o 13
* Mino2 - @sbutcher 13
* Rheinturm - @frederik-f 12
* Fly - @madsrh 12
* Man Taurus - @abhishek-k-k 12
* Scorched Sky - @yogini010 12
* Minosphere - @mani 12
* Tree Up - @madsrh 11
* Blobby - @yogini010 11
* Symmetry in Asymmetry - @UNakade 11
* Minotaur Maze variations - @mo-taymour 11
* Beach - @meetdilip 10
* Haukelivegen II Norway - @madsrh 10
* Minosphere Light/Dark - @mani 9
* Man Taurus Dark - @abhishek-k-k 9
* New Taur - @abhishek-k-k 9
* Glimmer - @leodriesch 9
* The Minotaur Chest - @meetdilip 8
* Yellow - @madsrh 8
* Might of the Minotaur - @ponderin-krakken 8
* Ubuntu Bubbles - @sreenathv 8
* Sea from Awaji Island - @ryx07 7
* Hardware - @gixo 6
* Keyboard 1 - @meetdilip 6
* Attic Minotaur - @wilkozak 6
* Minotaur Crystal - @meetdilip 6
* Colourful - @meetdilip 5
* Flow - @lost-cause 5
* Tide - @lost-cause 5
* Curve - @lost-cause 5
* Can anyone see Thor yet?! - @yogini010 5
* Faded Tree - @sreenathv 5
* Barbed Wire - @g0b 5
* Mantic-Minotaur - @jssotomdz 4
* Placid Hill - @depechie 4
* Mantic Keyboard - @meetdilip 3
* The Sword & Shield - @meetdilip 3
* Tide Light - @lost-cause 3
* Glowing Minotaur Head - @thespirithunter 3
* Purplentaur - @ett25 3
* Minotaur - @meetdilip 2
* Wallpaper for Mantic Minotaur - @cryptokabir 2
* Placid Cloud - @depechie 2
* Mantaurix - @ett25 2
* Maze - Light Version - @leodriesch 2
* Maze - Dark Version - @leodriesch 2
* Untitled - @cryptokabir 1
* Wallpaper - @cryptokabir 1
* The Minotaur on screen - @thespirithunter 1
* Glowing Minotaur Full - @thespirithunter 1

Next Steps

• All winning entries will be reviewed and prepped for admission into the upcoming release.
  • If your entry was chosen, you may be asked to provide your submission at a higher resolution.
21 Likes

Beach - by meetdilip

Beach Mantic Minotaur

9 Likes

Is it possible to have the opening image of the discussion without the writings?
thanks

Colourful

Mantic 7 colourful 4k

2 Likes

The banner image at the top with the “Mantic Minotaur Wallpaper Competition” text?

Minotaur

4 Likes

No, the jpg image https://ubuntucommunity.s3.dualstack.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/1/c/1cc95db9895a148b907f429b3cd581c6b2f72893.jpeg with text removed
thanks

Sure, here it is. This was my handiwork so I suppose this can be the submission from the Community Team. :slight_smile:
“Bane of Theseus”

19 Likes

“Mantic Minotaur”
My Twitter: notgxio
4K version of the wallpapers: https://github.com/notgixo/ManticMinotaurWallpapers

mantic-minotaur-dark-1080p
mantic-minotaur-neutral-1080p
mantic-minotaur-light-1080p

12 Likes

“Waves”
As it’s shown in the second image, wallpapers are available in 10 colors based on “Yaru” theme colors plus Ubuntu colors variant in both dark and light mode.
4K version of the wallpapers can be downloaded from my Github repo link from my first post (to avoid being flagged as spam).
Github repo: notgixo/ManticMinotaurWallpapers

waves-variants

12 Likes

“Horns”
As it’s shown in the second image, wallpapers are available in 10 colors based on “Yaru” theme colors in both dark and light mode.
4K version of the wallpapers can be downloaded from my Github repo link from my first post.

15 Likes

“Hardware”
4K version of the wallpapers can be downloaded from my Github repo link from my first post (to avoid being flagged as spam).

65xe-variants

5 Likes

Minotaur Maze
https://twitter.com/mTaymour

32 Likes

Keyboard 1

Keyboard 21 Logo

10 Likes

Mantic Keyboard

3 Likes

6 Likes

Title: Rheinturm

(look onto the Rheinturm in Düsseldorf from my former home town Erkrath :slight_smile: )

19 Likes

Why do you start a contest if you already created the best wallpaper? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Minotaur Chest

5 Likes