Intel RST Issues

HI, I’m stuck at the step to run ```
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot or bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot or bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot

actually none of this run for me and error appeared. Please help me to recover my windows OS

I had similar issues, but tried your suggestion and think I made matters worse. These changes have caused Windows to no longer recognize my password and I can’t log in to that partition.

On my ASUS Viviobook S15 S533FA, I went through all the registry edits suggested by this guide, and got a BSOD after changing the SATA mode to ACHI. When I tried to access the command line in Windows Recovery, the system wanted me to enter my recovery key to access the windows partition, but even after doing that it wouldn’t recognize my password. If I selected “skip this drive” I was able to access the command line and didn’t have to enter my password, but the C drive shows up as file system “unknown” and bcdedit commands bring up errors. This suggests to me that these changes somehow reset my password or caused me to be unable to log in to the admin account.IMG_0299

So I changed the SATA mode back to the default (“Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration”) and followed the instructions in this guide. Now at this point I am still able to log into windows fine once I changed the SATA mode back. Once I followed these instructions and changed back to ACHI it seemed to work, and I got the log in screen, but Windows does not recognize my password. So I try changing back to the default once again. When I log in now (in default mode), I enter my password, and it seems to accept it, and gives me the windows loading screen. It appears to work, and starts loading, but after about 30 seconds of loading it then tells me the password was incorrect.

So I think I damaged something deep in the partition or Windows install. Anyone encountered this before? Is it even going to be possible to dual boot on this system? I haven’t even tried to install Ubuntu yet because I do want to preserve my Windows partition and want to sort this out.

Hi metaseq, I had a similar problem too. For what I read, some people could resolve it using windows pin instead of the windows account password. If that didn’t work, try the following: press, in your login screen, the shift key while clicking ‘restart’, in order to get to the Advanced Recovery Environment. Once you get there, click Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt (similar to what is described in this tutorial). Then, type in the following:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
If that gives an error, use:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Hope it will help you (sorry for my bad english)

Links for more details:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-minimal-safe-mode-to-safe-mode/2a856905-cf67-4478-b7c5-9927623803a4

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/windows-10-stuck-in-minimal-safe-mode-cannot-get/c47d10a1-c94c-4957-ae33-58d812fd089d

Works for me with an XPS 13 9380 !! You saved my day dude !

Thank you so much! This worked for me. After entering my recovery key, I was able to access the command line in Recovery Mode. Not sure why this didn’t work before.

I dug into the user manual for my machine and it specifically warns against trying to run in ACHI mode. I wish Ubuntu was more upfront in the public-facing documentation about this being a requirement – I did not realize I would need to change the SATA mode until after already investing a lot of time into this, and would have chosen a different linux distro and/or computer model if I knew about this up front.

Will update if I do get the dual boot to work.

If you want to switch to AHCI from rst/raid , following this link was piece of cake. https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

For installing Ubuntu side by windows, make sure to disable bitlocker in windows first if applicable, then follow the link above. Else for each and every update happens from Ubuntu on same disk you will end up in recovery key screen while trying to switch to windows.

After the above 2 steps Ubuntu installation can be done in usual fashion.

1 Like

Thank you very much, @yoshz85. It worked as a charm for me!
I had previously tried to do it as explained at the top of this page, but it didn’t work. Windows would not boot.

OK for Dell Latitude 5310 2-in-1 windows 10 Pro 2004 build 19041.450

Thank you!

Thank you very much, worked for me too, ASUS VivoBook 15 (f512j)

Unable to dual boot on Dell Inspiron 7572 after the SSD upgrade. Followed steps to change from RST to AHCI but then windows doesn’t boot. Can anyone help?

I followed directions above correctly, but on rebooting, the registry keys were reset back to what they had been, and rst was re-activated

Hello,

Personally I had to force safeboot instead of changing the registery. (using “bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal”). It then make more sense to try to delete that same key.

Once I made the change in the bios and it loaded in safeboot mode, it was able to boot normally as it loaded all driver, even the AHCI one. I just add to do “bcdedit /delete {current} safeboot”, and to restart windows and I had fully working windows with the disk controller in AHCI mode.

@tpollard61 yes, that seems the case. So either just stay with windows or completely turn off rst and switch to Ubuntu completely.

On Dell inspiron : didn’t work for me. Followed all the steps, had to go through the repair, and the boot directory didn’t exist on efi partition. Finally went back to raid on the bios, rebooted Windows and applied this and all went well (and it was fast) : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1233623/workaround-to-install-ubuntu-20-04-with-intel-rst-systems (second choice from second answer)

igorljubuncic Does Ubuntu support RST with PCIE SSD now?

Hi, I’ve dual booted older systems in the past, but now I have a modern thing with Intel RST, I am a bit stuck. Following these steps has allowed me to disable RST in Windows and BIOS, which now boots fine with AHCI.

I have had further issues and now I’ve decided just to run a Linux VM under Windows.

Is there a guide for undoing all of the registry tweaks and re-enabling Intel RST?

Thanks

Here is what I tried but did not work:

1. updated regedit values
  2. changed AHCI mode in BIOS (after that Windows could not boot)
  3. Volume letters were all ok
  4. Assigned F: letter to the hidden volume which also the only one with 1GB size and FAT32 filesystem format.
  5. none of the bcdedit commands worked for me, all 3 threw error
  6. in the F volume there was no boot directory, so **bcdedit ** commands were not performed.
  7. Windows did not boot at this stage.

Also, tried directions from here: https://medium.com/@aadiljaleel/dual-boot-ubuntu-16-04-2723fa71c24f

1. Disabled **Fast Boot ** from Windows power options
  2. But in the BIOS there was not Fast Boot option to disable
  3. still no luck, windows did not boot.

At the end, I changed back to RST windows booted with no problem.
Briefly, instructions did not work for me.

Question is why don’t Ubuntu/Linux does not support RST?

My machine’s bios does not allow me to turn off rst mode.
I followed the directions about editing the windows registry, but that doesn’t affect the bios. I’ve tried magic key sequences such as F5/F6, ctrl-s, etc., and the bios remains subborn. It will not let me change the disk controller mode.

So, another approach. I added another disk drive. When I boot from USB into try ubuntu, the new disk shows up at /dev/sda while the rst disk remains invisible. Fine.
But now I can run gparted and format the new drive. I can write to the file system on /dev/sda1. Great! Now let’s install ubuntu on that new disk drive. I’ll worry about booting into it later.

du -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 229G 60M 217G 1% /media/sda

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda
sudo touch /media/sda/foo
ls /media/sda
foo lost+found

Cool!

But the install ubuntu program still complains and will not proceed with rst turned on even though I don’t care to use the invisible rst-controlled disk and linux is happy to write on /dev/sda1

How can I get install ubuntu to proceed with installation even though rst disk controller mode is active for some other disks?

1 Like

I did exactly as the manual said (after the typo “iaStorAV” had been fixed), but the system still goes wrong and Windows cannot normally boot (exactly the same as in the picture … pity!)
Then I tried the following steps in the manual. I finished using “diskpart”. But any of the “bcdedit” commands doesn’t work on my computer. It said it could not find the file. I didn’t know what file it’s talking about. So I moved on.
And finally the “Bcdboot” stage. Still the “ren BCD BCD.bak” could not find corresponding files. But the “bcdboot” command worked, and the boot files are successfully created. Unfortunately, windows could not boot in the end :frowning: a blue screen …

------------------- after several minutes ------------------
THANK GOD!! Before I finished downloading the win10 System installer, I retried changing my computer’s storage controller protocol from AHCI to RST and reboot. It worked! And I can now use my computer again!
No more ubuntu on this computer … :frowning:. Luckily I have another computer where I installed Ubuntu 18 successfully.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info

Is it working if bitlocker is enabled, or does it has to be disabled first?

I read in some other post that it would require to enter the bitlocker recovery key on startup when changed to ahci driver. Is it the case with this config as well (changing the registry)?