Intel RST Issues

@yoshz85 thanks a lot. Worked fine on my Dell inspiron 3793!

@yoshz85 You rule, THANK YOU for sharing!

This guide did not work for me, as it references deleting safeboot variable, which is never set so the var does not exist, at all when following this guide,

You have to set the variable to minimal, reboot, in safeboot, delete the var, and reboot.

This didn’t work on my Alienware Area-51m, but I found an alternative solution.

After adding a new, larger, SSD to the second slot, cloning Windows to this new drive, and wiping the old drive, I wanted to install Ubuntu on the old SDD. The installer wouldn’t run because RST was on, and the QR code in the installer sent me here.

After reaching the end of this guide, the system would not boot to Windows at all. There were a number of problems with this guide (for example the boot files not were in a different spot on the hidden EFI volume, which also didn’t have a drive letter associated with it). The major problem was I couldn’t set safeboot with bcdedit after changing to AHCI (it kept saying the variable didn’t exist).

So, I switched RST back on in the BIOS, got back into Windows, and used this guide instead:

https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci
switching on safeboot via bcdedit in normal Windows with RST on, rebooting, changing the BIOS to AHCI, rebooting successfully to safemode Windows, then switching safemode off with bcdedit.

Now it works perfectly as a dual boot!

1 Like

After successfully installing Ubuntu side by side with windows, can I change the SATA mode from AHCI to RAID again?

I’m (hopefully) confused - does this mean that it is not possible to have Ubuntu dual-boot on a machine that has Windows installed on an NVMe drive?

I have disabled RST, but Ubuntu installation still says I need to disable it.

I have done everything written in this page, despite that I keep on getting the message “you need to turn off RST… and a link to this page appears”.
Really unable to understand what exactly is not done.

@mohmeeee, Hi, Im also having the similar problem, if you don’t mind can you share your solution.

Thank you.

Hi,
Because it was done a while ago, I can’t seem to remember. However if you could state your problem maybe I could help.

Hi,
I’m sorry it’s taken a while to respond. Therefore I can’t remember. However, I will do some research and if I find a solution I will reply to this comment.

Thank you very much, I managed to perform the dual installation. On a lenovo ideapad340 15 i7.

It worked for me too

Worked for my Medion Erazer P6605

Followed all of these directions, and was still unable to boot Windows while set to AHCI. I would very much like to get this installed without having to reinstall windows. Is it possible to disconnect one physical drive from the RST controller (I have 3 integrated hard drives) and install Linux to that one?

@yoshz85 it worked also in my case for Dell Inspiron 15 1701

thank you so much!

I’ve managed to change the hard disk controller by entering Ctrl+S in the Main tab of the BIOS menu.It pops the option to change SATA mode. Acer Aspire 5 notebook.

I am not able to find the boot loader file in my system.can you please help me ?

My system is not getting started after the sucesful of bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot part.
I am not able to find the boot file in my system…

so MUCH simpler!!! Thank you!