Intel RST Issues

I am using a laptop loaded with a 512 GB SSD and I don’t have any external hard disk. It is working on Intel RST. How can I dual boot my laptop without loss of data?

@guidelaf The cd part is a command to change directory. I would suggest doing some basic testing with Windows command line on a separate system (if possible), because working in the recovery console takes some knowledge, and you could accidentally do the wrong thing.

As for the registry change going back to the original, I don’t know. Are you using any kind of system freeze software (which keeps the system in a given state across reboots)?

@drum13 cd is not a file, it’s a command to change directory.

I don’t care about Windows 10. I would like to keep my 4 ssd’s in a pair of raid 0 for speed since I absolutely do not care about the data on them. I was curious if I can actually use my hardware raid and not use AHCI. Any ideas on how to make it work with Ubuntu 20.04?

None of the steps above worked for me on my XPS 15 7590. I kept having problems booting Windows.

The easy and simple way to get it work was:

• Run bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal in Windows as adminstrator
  • Reboot into BIOS setup and change storage controller to AHCI.
  • Continue to boot in Windows safemode and run bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot as administrator
  • Reboot back into Windows

And from here, Windows was booting without any problems with AHCI.

17 Likes

I need to turn off the RST before installing Ubuntu20.04 on Dell XPS 13.
But after installing Ubuntu20.04, can I have the RST turn on? Will I forever lose the RST when I use Ubuntu20.04?

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm on my XPS 15 9570.

Having an issue with the ren BCD BCD.bak step. Error code is “system cannot find the file specified”. How can I get around this?

Hi! I’m experiencing the same error. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you fix it? The error message I’m getting is “the system can’t find the file specified”

Thank you @yoshz85 ! Worked for me on my Dell Vostro !

Thanks! Worked like a charm for me on a Dell Latitude 7390 with stock Dell Windows 10 installed.

Thanks! This worked perfectly for me on a Dell Inspiron 5491 after the first listed method above failed.

One thing to note if you are new to the Windows “pin” like I am. Safemode disables it, so you need to use your actual password.

I am able to find the boot folder but there are no bcd files in there. There is only an .exe dile. What should I do?

For me, dell xps, it was under /EFI/Microsoft/Boot

However, the command still didn’t work. I suspect it is related to the fact that disk part couldn’t identify the file system. I have to figure out why and how to fix that.
The error message I get is that the driver is locked with a bitlocker drive encryption.

I solve my problem with this other tutorial

Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation

1 Like

This one worked like a charm. Mine was Dell Inspiron 5490 which came with pre installed windows 10.

it worked also in my case for Dell XPS 13 7390

thank you both!

Thanks a lot @yoshz85!!! Almost worked in a Dell Inspiron 5584 with windows 10 Home single language version 2004. My recommended modifications are:

1. Use powershell as admin instead of the run box. The reason is that run doesn’t confirm if the procedure has been done correctly, it just disappears, so you don’t know if it’s ok or not.
  2. Then the command that works is bcdedit /set safeboot minimal and again bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot . Don’t use the {} in my case. You will know which works for you in powershell.

Note: in my case the controller used after the procedure is NVM Express standard. Now on to install ubuntu.

Hey there!
The bcdedt repair command doesn’t work on my laptop. It’s an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH 317-35-75YB.
Any ideas how I can make it work?

Worked like a charm for me. Just want to add that in case Bitlocker is active, you have to deactivate it first. Just to avoid any strange issues.

Explained here: http://vrpc.com/windows/switch-to-ahci-mode-in-windows-10-with-bitlocker-enabled/