Ubuntu 24.04 Testing Week

Ubuntu and its ten official flavours will be participating in the Ubuntu Noble Numbat Testing Week from March 7th–14th!

Soon we will be releasing the Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat Beta after halting all new changes and between then and the final release a few weeks later, all efforts are focused on image testing, bug reporting, and fixing bugs.

Join in the Testing Effort

Testing is fun and easy! Start by simply downloading one of the various daily images (Found below), perform the variety of the relevant test cases found on the ISO Tracker and report your results. Tests can be performed in a virtual environment or directly on hardware. Testers can perform as few or as many test cases as they like.

Testing Focuses

Ubuntu 24.04 is an LTS release, so making sure it is rock solid is especially important. A lot of new features have landed for this release and we’re eager to have you all take a look.

Install and Upgrade

In the new release we’re putting a focus on the new installer built on Flutter technology. As this is the first experience Desktop users will have when installing Ubuntu, testing all the nooks and crannies of it will be important

Here’s what to test in the desktop installer:

• Thorough test of all installation steps
  • Installing Ubuntu using autoinstall.
  • Disk encryption using ZFS together with LUKS. Aside from the install process, inspect the disk layout and encryption keys once you’ve got Ubuntu set up.

If you find issues please file them in the ubuntu-desktop-provision repository.

Further, testing the upgrade from previous Ubuntu versions will help identify upgrade issues.

App Center and Gaming

The new Ubuntu App Center has a new Gaming tab that gives you a few new options to try out if you enjoy gaming. Let us know if everything works properly and file issues on the app-center repository issues.

The Steam snap helps ensure that all the prerequisites are ready for gaming. Give it a try and let us know if there are issues.

GNOME 46

Ubuntu 24.04 sports the just-released Gnome 46, with a number of exciting new features! Aside from giving Gnome developers a hand in finding issues in Gnome, your help in testing on Ubuntu makes sure our integration works as expected.

• Core Extensions: There are a number or gnome core extensions worth testing out, such as desktop icons, the tiling assistant, dock and app indicators. Let’s make sure everything works well together!
  • Dark/light mode: Help make sure the theming integration works as expected, both in dark and light mode.
  • Fractional scaling and multi-monitor on Wayland: Wayland may have its weak spots, so let’s give these two new features a try to make sure the day-to-day experience is impecable.
  • Wayland remote desktop: Another Wayland feature that should work considerably better is remote desktop login. Let’s see how it stacks up.

Raspberry Pi 5

Ubuntu 24.04 has a Raspberry Pi 5 image that is available for testing! Here is your chance to continue on that side project you’ve always been waiting on.

Edubuntu 24.04, likewise, has a highly-requested Raspberry Pi 5 image that is available for testing! If you’re interested in what the Edubuntu team has been putting together for the educational sector, here’s your chance!

Chat with fellow Testers

Testing is a community effort and a great opportunity to meet your fellow Ubuntu enthusiasts. Start chatting about your test findings on the Ubuntu Testing Matrix Space, on the #ubuntu-quality IRC channel or on the #testing-cycles channel on the Ubuntu Hideout Discord server.

Download Daily Images

Below you will find links to the daily images for Ubuntu and its various official flavours. Please take note of the architecture you’re downloading as test cases may be different for each.

Ubuntu Images

Ubuntu Flavours are an important part of our ecosystem and also rely on community testers to ensure their releases are stable and ready for general use. While their testing process is typically very similar to Ubuntu, it’s important to follow their community’s additional testing guidance.
Edubuntu Images
Kubuntu Images
Lubuntu Images
Ubuntu Budgie Images
Ubuntu Cinnamon Images
Ubuntu Kylin Images
Ubuntu MATE Images
Ubuntu Studio Images
Ubuntu Unity Images
Xubuntu Images

Additional Learning Resources for Testers

Testing is an excellent way to contribute to the Ubuntu Community. Learn more about contributing via QA and Testing.

For new tester support and additional QA information, please check out our various learning resources:

More Testing to Come

With new releases of Ubuntu, we often have multiple rounds of testing as new features are added and changed. Stay tuned to the Ubuntu Discourse for future testing opportunities.

Credits

Thank you to @manuej for supplying the art for the testing week banner image!

15 Likes

Dang, I so wish we had torrent files for the iso images. I guess direct downloads will have to do, for now.

Lubuntu has an installer issue that can prevent installs that we’re currently working on, but live testing can still be performed.

Lubuntu’s testing week post can be found here

https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/ubuntu-24-04-lts-testing-week/4772

which mentions the aforementioned installer issue, and some others, which we’ll amend as testing progresses.

The install issue does not impact live testing.

Thank you to everyone who helps test any Ubuntu 24.04 ISO, including the flavors.

6 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Supporting deb package installs in Noble

I’ll need to double-check, but I believe Ubuntu Studio had a similar installer issue - so only live testing, for now. (This was last week, I haven’t taken a look at current development). Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I didn’t think to mention it, but the issue I refer to in regards Lubuntu installs (ie. Bug #2054795 “Calamares - Installation failed - Bad main script...” : Bugs : calamares package : Ubuntu) will also be found on

• Kubuntu noble

as they share the calamares installer used by Lubuntu. Ubuntu Unity currently still has ubiquity on its ISOs, but is expected to soon use calamares

As Ubuntu Studio is using the ubuntu-desktop-installer (not calamares) its issue is different (and whilst I noted & see talk about it, I can’t recall the bug/references currently otherwise I’d provide it here).

2 Likes

This is now fixed as of Tuesday.

3 Likes

Good to know, @eeickmeyer !

Yep, if we have to test Noble, we absolutely should do this with all the huge current transition being done and GNOME 46.

1 Like

goa-oauth2-handler doesn’t seem to do anything and should go in the “Utilities” category
All recent ISOs Mar 07 and Mar 08 fails to build ubuntu : Live filesystems : “Ubuntu CD Image Team” team

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Supporting deb package installs in Noble

I split out the specific conversation about debs in Noble, but the following was also mentioned by @malsabku and should be retained as it’s on-topic here.

General issues:

• The discrepancy between noble and noble-proposed is currently enormous. Most of GNOME 46 is stuck in noble-proposed and you can’t install them because of the dependency problems. I hope this will be fixed soon.

Firmware Updater:

• the Firmware Updater should be in the “Utilities” category in the App Grid, because it’s not an application that you use everyday
  • maybe it’s functionality should be directly integrated into the App Centre so you don’t need a separate app (but this is out of the scope for Ubuntu 24.04)
3 Likes

“Software & updates” neither works in the app menu nor via Synaptic (Settings → Repositories). (Main ISO, not tested in any flavors)

1 Like

The main bug is here:

2 Likes

software-properties does not work so I don’t know how to add proposed in my ubuntu sources, please help:

## See the sources.list(5) manual page for further settings.
Types: deb
URIs: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
Suites: noble noble-updates noble-backports
Components: main universe restricted multiverse
Signed-By: /usr/share/keyrings/ubuntu-archive-keyring.gpg

## Ubuntu security updates. Aside from URIs and Suites,
## this should mirror your choices in the previous section.
URIs: http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
Suites: noble-security

You can add noble-proposed to the Suites section. Like this:

URIs: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
Suites: noble noble-updates noble-backports noble-proposed

App Folders isn’t something the Desktop Team traditionally pays too much attention to, but Edubuntu pays very close attention to, so that’s something we will definitely be doing.

Added proposed, but no additional updates

corrado@corrado-n4-nn-0215:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Hit:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-security InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble InRelease
Hit:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-updates InRelease
Hit:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-backports InRelease
Hit:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-proposed InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
8 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  grub-common grub2-common thunderbird thunderbird-locale-en thunderbird-locale-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-us
  thunderbird-locale-it thunderbird-locale-zh-hant
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Setting up shim-signed (1.57+15.8-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing package shim-signed (--configure):
 installed shim-signed package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
 shim-signed
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
corrado@corrado-n4-nn-0215:~$

so I found bug Bug #2056562 “package shim-signed 1.57+15.8-0ubuntu1 failed to i...” : Bugs : shim-signed package : Ubuntu
After solving problem of bug/2056562
still no packages updated from proposed

Create a file with the name /etc/apt/preferences

sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences

Add the following text to it

Package: *
Pin: release a=noble-backports
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=noble-proposed
Pin-Priority: 500

Save it.

Then you will get updates from the backports and proposed repository.

You simply can use Synaptic…

But be careful to check ‘most recent’ again BEFORE removing proposed from used sources.