Ubuntu Flavor Sync Meeting Notes - July 10, 2023

Representatives from the Ubuntu Flavors along with various Canonical and community leads met on July 10th, 2023 to discuss matters around the development of Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur among other desktop and flavor developments:

• Tim Holmes-Mitra (@tim-hm) and Oliver Smith (@local-optimum) dove into the ongoing discussion happening on the Ubuntu Discourse around improving the default Ubuntu install experience.
    • David Mohammed (@fossfreedom) asked a question on how offline and custom image building functionality fits within any proposed installer changes.
    • Erich Eickmeyer (@eeickmeyer) mentioned how non-DE centric flavours such as Ubuntu Studio and Edubuntu utilise meta packages and how it fits within future installer plans. @local-optimum mentioned various customization options and potential methods of managing these app bundles at install time.
    • Tim Holmes-Mitra (@tim-hm) reiterated the goal of making the new Ubuntu Desktop installer more human friendly and white-labeling it for easier flavour branding.
    • Ken Gilmer from the Regolith team asked about the different stages of the new installer and when flavours can expect the changes to be rolled out. @tim-hm mentioned that information on any proposed installer changes would be shared on the Ubuntu Discourse.
  • David Mohammed (@fossfreedom) mentioned that Ubuntu Budgie ISOs are currently broken; daily ISO with the new installer cannot be updated with any newer version of the installer (last update was March 2023). Legacy ISO does not install the key meta package ubuntu-budgie-desktop.
  • Ken VanDine (@kenvandine) mentioned working with @fossfreedom on supporting alternate desktops sessions within Ubuntu Core.
  • Ken VanDine (@kenvandine) spoke about the upcoming Software Center; how it handles both Snaps and Debs packages and timing of it’s stable release in regards to the upcoming package freeze.
  • Jeremy BĂ­cha (@jbicha) provided an update on a handful of SRUs that fixed some lingering issues with the Budgie desktop.
  • Erich Eickmeyer (@eeickmeyer) updated the group on an audio server dependency issue the Ubuntu Studio team is current working to address on Ubuntu Studio.
  • Erich Eickmeyer (@eeickmeyer) mentioned there will be a new Edubuntu grub boot screen and some small changes to shipped education applications including the addition of BASIC256.
  • Joshua Peisach (@itzswirlz) provided an update on the plan to include the recently released Cinnamon 5.8 desktop in the upcoming Mantic release.

Ubuntu Flavor Sync Meetings take place every 2 months on the second Monday of that month. There are two sessions, 3PM UTC and 10PM UTC, to best accommodate our global community. All are welcome to join and participate in the discussion!

3 Likes

Through my own error… I failed to attend.
Apologies everyone, but thanks to all who did!

Where are the meetings accruing? IRC, If it is social
media count me out, YouTube ? Okay
When is this going to be pinned on Discourse in advance?
Please… 1 week in advance will work for us.
Thank You.
Awesome job with Edubuntu and Ubuntu Studio.
Yes Budgie desktop Mantic, 1 bug report to fix systemd
reboot problem… Good same identical bug that happened with Edubuntu recently,
All of you are are the Heroes, that make Ubuntu what it is
today. Thank you for what you do every day making Ubuntu more. @ sabdfl Thank You
I thank all of you for your dedication for Ubuntu.

@aaronprisk missed from the minutes: UB ISOs are currently broken; daily ISO with the new installer cannot be updated with any newer version of the installer (last update was March 2023). Legacy ISO does not install our key meta package ubuntu-budgie-desktop

2 Likes

Thank you for the notice, @fossfreedom. I have added it to the notes.

1 Like