Testing unity session in Focal Fossa - 20.04

The best suggestion at time, to fit a little bit like Yaru, is to use Vimix GTK and Yaru Plus.

https://github.com/vinceliuice/vimix-gtk-themes

https://github.com/Bonandry/yaru-plus

2 Likes

When you look at the screeny on OP, what do you see? The theme and the icons?

Like I said in the OP, many thanks to @khurshid-alam!
And, not to forget @dale-f-beaudoin!

It appears that only Chromium and Chrome web browsers still have global menu with Unity DE.

Normal Chromium, not the snap.

The latest Chrome.

But, Firefox doesn’t have the global menu for Unity DE for sometime now.

1 Like

global menu in FF was dropped for 20.04 to reduce maintenance
firefox (72.0+build4-0ubuntu1) focal; urgency=medium

• New upstream stable release (72.0+build4)

[ Olivier Tilloy ]

• Remove debian/patches/unity-menubar.patch before the LTS release
    to minimize the maintenance effort

However in 18.04 it hasn’t, here I just manually update FF using the 18.04 package which works fine.
(- as long as FF is same major version the initial install of 18.04’s package won’t cause FF to force using a new profile…

The original unity-menubar.patch appears to be here. Does anyone know how to use it to make FF work with global menu?

you take the firefox source, try to apply these 5200 lines, fix them until they apply, then build it, test it, find bugs you introduced by changing the code with your patch, repeat that last step until no more bugs show up and be done … pretty simple if you have several days of spare time you can/want invest into that … next firefox update you repeat the whole thing …

and indeed you cant distribute this legally as firefox without permission from mozilla to use the firefox trademark.

3 Likes

I am talking to those, who use Unity DE and FF, not the others…:slight_smile:

well, you asked how to use the patch … that is how you do it …

2 Likes

This is ridiculous, frankly. Isn’t it useful for other DEs as well, like KDE and Ubuntu Mate, that have the global menu implementation by default? Why do they have to drop it?

2 Likes

I’ve been using Firefox ESR in Bionic for months, and the Global Menu is NOT there. It is in Thunderbird, but it is NOT in Firefox ESR.

Addendum: Observed that Palemoon, a fork of Firefox, doesn’t have Global Menu either.

I’d get used to no global menu’s, quite possible they completely disappear in 20.04+ with gtk4.
As far as firefox, as mentioned you can use 18.04’s package or use 18.04’s current patch on 20.04 package source, either till end of 18.04 support or if they drop there also. (no indication they will

The problem this creates is that the intended user experience is not going to work consistently with even the out-of-the-box programs. Some people may go out of their way and implement the workarounds but not the most, who just want things to work. Unity was exactly the DE that is designed and just works, without any tweaks, but apparently this stops being the case.

1 Like

Does logout breaks again with recent systemd ? I am with intel i5 8 gen + nvidia (nouveau)

@ zippy.zebu
See no issues here about log out/in, no unity session issues at all either.
On a week old fresh install…

New to this forum. Thanks to everyone who’s maintaining Unity. It runs really well on 20.04 for me. I’m on an older laptop, but I’ve beefed up the RAM to 16 GB’s, and I have one 500GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Other than replacing the CPU from an i5 to an i7, I think I’m about done messing with this thing.

One item that I’m not able to find an answer for:

• I am unable to lock Inkscape from Flatpak to the Launcher.

No matter what I try, as soon as I quit the program, the icon disappears from the Launcher.

Other than that one annoyance, I think this is great! Ubuntu 20.04 Beta seems very solid, and Unity runs very well on it. So, once again; thanks!

Maybe, this post would help you. You have to create a link to the desktop file.

We need a website for Ubuntu Unity

1 Like

@rs2009, @chanath and guys, while the site is not launched, we have the Ayatun to ease the lack of it. You can invite any member of the community who wants to join, to stay on top of what happens here on Discourse. The server is in two languages: English and Portuguese.

It seems that invite link is dead, can you send it again? I’m intruiged.