New Yaru discussion for general users

Just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done on the new Yaru theme for 19.10. Installed it last night, and while I usually use the vanilla-gnome-session, I’m now running the default Ubuntu session with Yaru. I like it, especially the light version headerbar.

5 Likes

Here is how Chromium Snap looks with GTK theme. The window controls are not visible.chromium-snap
Also the GTK dialog box is not readable as well.GTK-file-dialog-box

Is this the case with Snap not having the new Yaru bundled? Firefox snap doesn’t even use Yaru it uses Adwaita from the looks of it.

1 Like

The snap is not updated yet I think :slight_smile:
Snaps have a certain version of that theme inside, so those need to be updated - I think via gtk-common-themes snap.

I thought so, but wasn’t sure. I am also loving the translucent bar, very akin to Unity, especially now that the top bar is solid color. All around with newer version of Yaru theme (light & dark) and icons 19.10 is looking mighty fine.

2 Likes

Thanks @mohan-ram and @stephen-d-allen for the kind words - we really appreciate this!

This is how the chome .deb looks like:

The chromium snap uses the yaru version from 18.10 or 19.4 I think and really needs an update. Maybe we could ask @jamesh for updating it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The new Yaru theme looks very good. I thought I should miss the black windows title bar, but that isn’t the case.
Flatpaks follows the theme, see Kodi, and snaps don’t yet, see calculator.

3 Likes

This is my exact same sentiment; vanilla GNOME user, but inclided to start using default Ubuntu more with the new theme.

Did you upgrade to 19.10, or just install the theme? If just the theme, how did you do it?

3 Likes

No, I installed the 19.10 development version. I usually install the next version when it’s about a month from release. Enjoying the newer Gnome too. :grin:

3 Likes

Something I noticed the padding for dialog window buttons in Yaru and Yaru dark while using Firefox is very thing, when compared to normal GTK dialog window. Seems better with Adwaita but then again the normal GTK windows buttons have way more padding when compared to Yaru.

1 Like

Yes that is some strange thing with firefox, it always shrinks the buttons

When firefox would support native gtk dialogues this should be gone.

Adwaita has much bigger buttons everywhere, thus also in firefox. No additional special casing for buttons is made in adwaita or yaru

2 Likes

Forked an extension and renamed everything to toggle between yaru and yaru-dark:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2153/yaru-dark-theme-toggle/

Hope that my gnome shell js improves so it just looks up the current light theme using and then switches to the corresponding -dark theme :slight_smile: Currently it only works for yaru / yaru-dark

5 Likes

Used it on my test install works great. Is there going to be option to have dark header bars but light window color, like Yaru in 19.04?

Its interesting that you see the numbers in the calculator.

The calculator is working fine. It’s only problem with theme. The header shall be light not dark.
The Calculator is working OK, on my desktop, on an old Asus laptop and on Boxes

What I meant was the colour and contrast of numbers. They are so dull, and theme is dull.

There will be three variants in 19.10, full light, full dark and the one with dark headerbars only

8 Likes

Saw that in GNOME Tweaks yesterday! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that the ‘darker’ version of Yaru is back (so light windows with dark headers, i.e. normal Yaru), it seems that it toggles between ‘darker’ and ‘dark’. Which works very well for me. Do wonder if this means that the toggle should have three steps and/or a setting to choose between which two versions it toggles.

You guys are awesome, thank you for keeping all three options, I know it was announced from the very beginning that darker will eventually be reintroduced, but I wasn’t expecting it to happen that soon, thanks a lot!

3 Likes

I am working on a patch for three state toggle

4 Likes