New Yaru discussion for general users

Fantastic. I can help test.

1 Like

I’m just waiting for PR approval :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great news! Congratulations!

Yaru to me has just become feature complete and on par again with Ambiance and Radiance days. :+1:

BTW I will be using the light theme :slight_smile:

PS: Is this also an upstream change in Adwaita, or is Yaru ahead?

3 Likes

Will this toggle be available as an extension or an option in GNOME Setting?

Thank you!

This is just Yaru (downstream) change.

This is an extension

3 Likes

Ah cool, and thank you guys for the wonderful work. If I may, one thing that is a big confusion with the new shell theme is the login. The input box for password is too similar in the color of the background and the “Cancel” button, in its current color, does not have much of a significance, as red color would.

1 Like

Agreed — The team has done a great job on Yaru! I’m actually using the default Ubuntu session now-a-days over ,the vanilla experience before.

6 Likes

Most of the time I am “dark mode” guy but I really do love the light theme. But all three options look great. Kudos to everybody who worked on Yaru.

4 Likes

The lighter (more grayish) field right next to the Home button, up to the search button, looks horrible. It also makes the user to think it is an input field which he can click. Why it is even there when it doesn’t work?

1 Like

I don’t mind it, it helps distinguish from the active window from the top gnome-shell bar. It does become active once one clicks on the search icon.

That happened to me the first time, but after that initial time it was okay.

Just to make it clear: this was part of the Adwaita theme overhaul in GNOME 2.32. Since then, the search box is integrated in the breadcrumbs field. The lighter box outline only becomes visible when Nautilus is maximized.

I personally think it looks really nice in default Adwaita and in Yaru Light.

1 Like

I just thought of something. Maybe offer a fourth color variant of Yaru. Yaru-Radiance. Similar to Radiance theme (and to lesser extent) the new Adwaita make nice call back to the light themes. Thoughts?
ambiance
Attachment of new Adwaita header bar.

Could we make a Yaru-dark gnome shell theme ? I saw that there is gnome-shell-high-contrast in /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Yaru/ but obviously it’s not exactly what i would want.

This is a visual guidance to connect pathbar with search button when the window is “large enough”.
This actually comes from Adwaita, but it’s a fair solution (I think) to the fact that pathbar and search button move together and, without a visual connection, they’d look floating in the headerbar without reason

Ofc I understand also that it looks like an entry and might misguide the user, it’s hard to find a solution for both problems, but we’re open to suggestions

May the 4th be with you :smiley:
I don’t think we’ll propose a fourth version, in case we can tweak Yaru-light one (I actually love Adwaita headerbar color)

Yaru dark shell it’s actually there already (even if it needs some work to make it polished as it was at the beginning), but gnome-shell does not allow for light/dark selection

Carlo, Gnome Shell allows to switch shell themes, instead the problem is with the way both Adwaita and Yaru are implemented as session defaults, as I have described elsewhere. Most other themes provide two or three shell variants without any issue. But solving this limitation is just one symlink away once you are ok with your still unpolished Yaru-dark.

1 Like

Oh right, I forgot it for a second, sorry

That is a funny story…

So we are now very close to the upstream themes (except colors, sizing, roundings and the inverted headerbar colors). But the upstream theme only provides styling for all default widgets that come with Gtk. When gtk app devs need a custom widget because a widget they want/need for their design is not in the toolkit, they need to make a custom widget and thus need to provide custom STYLING inside their app. So there is often a css file loaded after the global stylesheet is loaded which can add custom widget styling and/or overwrite the default styling (sadly also often overwrites not-upstream-styling, but that’s a different topic). Anyways… so nautilus has this custom widget name “nautilus pathbar”. Since this widget does not exist in the toolkit they needed to add custom styling. but it is only loaded if the current stylesheet is “Adwaita” or “Adwaita dark” (the upstream stylesheets). So we needed to copy this custom css out of the nautilus repo and put it inside our app stylesheet.

So to add something useful … we should fix this upstream :slight_smile: and then adapt again to it in yaru.
Do you only mean the double border glitch (which you can fix when focusing in and out of nautilus and which is … as descibed… also happening to Adwaita/upstream)?
Or the fact that there is a big entry through the whole window?
If the latter… that’s actually the upstream design for this spefific app. We do not do “App design” here. We provide a stylesheet for ubuntu, which only changes colors, sizings and roundings.

1 Like

The current light shell theme is optimized for the use at day (as the light gtk theme… except… the inverted headerbar).

What you probably want is a global decision between a fully light theme and a fully dark theme, like you know it from Android 9+, Websites like Youtube, Reddit or Twitter, Windows10, MacOS and iOS, right?

There was a big talk at GUADEC about this topic and eventually this is happening upstream, but I don’t think this will happen soon. The only thing that is really supported is having a -dark version to prefer in your app, like in media apps (videos, eye of gnome… and so on). So if carlo can find a solution to put this inside the yaru toggle extension? Could be a solution we could propose upstream after

2 Likes

Yes, i mean that there is a big entry through the whole window. I liked how it was in Disco Dingo. For me this one is distracting. Maybe if it behaved on click as if Nautilus does when you press Ctrl + L, it would be a little bit more justified. :thinking: