Is there going to be a wallpaper contest for Ubuntu 21.10?

Last year, I asked if there was going to be a wallpaper contest for Groovy Guerrilla. It turned out there wasn’t.

If I’m not mistaken, the last wallpaper contest was for Eoan Ermine, back in 2019. Are wallpaper contests a thing of the past for now, or could we expect to have one for Impish Indri?

There is some photos I would really want to submit :smile:.

2 Likes

Hello. I don’t usually participate in the wallpaper contest because I really believe that, each artist has his own way of expressing his art and not always what is established to define himself as a competitor is what the image produced wants to pass on to each person (your goal). However, I recognize that it is important that it exists so that the community can participate in the process of defining the new version of the system. I already did mine, I intend to see if they will like it and maybe it is one of the first ones ready for the new version in relation to Ubuntu Unity:

3 Likes

It would be nice to have a set of desktop wallpapers with Ubuntu, that could be picked from community contributions. The design team would still set the default wallpaper which is usually themed to the current release and probably be in charge of selecting the community wallpapers to be included.

I remember there was a guide on designing wallpapers for Ubuntu, it 's probably still on the wiki somewhere.

I think this is a good idea.

1 Like

There absolutely will be a wallpaper contest for 21.10.

@madhens and I will get to planning and then announcing it in the near future here on Discourse with the Desktop team :blush:

In the meantime, suggestions for running or promoting the competition are welcome and if you can find/write guides like the one @ruenoak mentioned (I couldn’t seem to find it) we will absoloutly include them in the announcement

3 Likes

Hmm, I’ll hunt around for that guide.
From memory It listed specifications like pixel dimensions, layout and dpi, I think there was a link to the Ubuntu colour pallet, and a general guide to good design practice.
There was also best practice guidelines and general rules such as:

• Avoid political slogans and imagery
  • No copyrighted images or Trademarks/logos. I think from memory Canonical required proof of license if background images were used e,g, should be an open license like CC.
  • No offensive content
  • Try not to lock it into a particular release, avoid release numbers or names.
  • Links to popular Open source applications Inkscape and Gimp.

I can’t remember if the guide included tutorials and templates or links to them.
I’m sure there was more to it than the above, I will endeavor to find the original guide.

1 Like

CommunityWallpapers

I found this page from the Ubuntu Gnome project on the wiki, which I think the majority of the information. Is still valid I feel, apart from the Gnome specific info and yes it is a bit dated, but still seems a good start

2 Likes

here is another one:

3 Likes

Both look super useful, thank you. I think before we announce the competition we’ll call for contributions to update and consolidate this documentation - Bookmarking this thread for when the time comes :blush:

3 Likes

Just to chime in to say what a lot of other people have already said, but yes! We’ll be updating our documentation, like people above have said, but we want to do more to showcase the creative talents and abilities of our community.

Also, keep an eye out for more artwork related outreach and events in the near future!

2 Likes

That’s good to hear! Thank you.

1 Like

i think ubunto should change its UI to a little bit more to user friendly

Hey @nato404, looks like this is your first post, welcome :blush:

That’s great, there are lots of people working on design and user experience all over Ubuntu and Ubuntu adjacent things. If you have suggestions, or find bugs, or maybe want to contribute, there’s a Web & Design category where you can start discussions and links all over ubuntu.com for filing issues and bugs and such.

I would ask that if you start those discussions though you try and be constructive, helpful and follow the Code of Conduct.

1 Like

Here you can get a list of rules for a competition at this site,
@willcooke used . Wallpaper competition - Disco Dingo

3 Likes

Woo, good find @mozit thanks

1 Like