Documentation Office Hours

We host a Documentation Office Hours every week on a Friday

Everyone is welcome. No prior arrangements are necessary. You don’t need to sign-up, or register. Just click on the link to join, for as little or as much time as you can spare, at any time during the hour.

The event will be recorded but you’re welcome to join without video or audio. We will disable the recording for a period to allow anyone to ask a question privately, if they’d rather.

Office hours calendar

Don’t miss future events by subscribing to our Documentation events calendar.

It’s very much our intention to schedule future office hours in different timezones to accommodate as many people as possible.

If you have any questions you’d like us to answer, please feel free to ask them live, or leave them as comments below

Recording availability

Each Office hours will be recorded and published on our YouTube channel a few days later:
https://www.youtube.com/UbuntuOnAir

11 Likes

First reply :slight_smile: Hello all, I am the Thunderbird support documentation lead. I’m going to show up tomorrow to lurk and learn. We’d like to do something like this but it’s just the team of 1 i.e. me so we’ll have to do something with our fabulous community of Thunderbird documentation writers and something more barebones!

Cheers!
…Roland

4 Likes

Great to have you here Roland. Thunderbird is such an important project! We’d be happy to help in any way we could. Hopefully see you later. And of course totally lurking is absolutely fine - I’d do the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone. My name is Ogechukwu Aina. I am a newbie in technical documentation and will be glad to have guidelines on how where to start

2 Likes

Hello Ogechukwu, welcome! I think you have come to the right place :slight_smile: Here’s a link to how you can get started. Give it a go, and let us know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

Hello all.
Just curious, is the recording for the first Documentation Office Hours session available?
I was not able to join and would love to view it.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay on this - we did make a recording and I’ll hopefully be able to upload it today. I’ll add the links back here. We hope to record them all for people who may not be able to attend.

1 Like

The recording is now live - I’ll create a separate post to collate each recording, but you can access the video directly here: https://youtu.be/GT03aSdabJE

(we’ll try to be quicker next time)

2 Likes

Hello all! My name is Damilola Oladele. I just got to know about this program. I gained documentation experience while working with Wagtail as an Outreachy intern and technical writer for the Google Season of Docs program. I am hoping to improve my documentation experience with this program.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hello Damilola! Thanks for the introduction! It’s great to have you here with us - and please always feel free to reach out to us here or on Matrix or email if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I am a new to technical documentation but I am happy to offer assistance, and chime in within the next meeting.

3 Likes

Welcome! If you haven’t found it already a good place to go next for information is here: Getting started

2 Likes

Hello all. I guess I’m a bit late to the party. However, I’ve viewed all the 3 recorded videos on YouTube and I’m ready to contribute. I believe this is an amazing initiative by the technical authors at Canonical. I’m excited to be a part of it.

2 Likes

Here’s the URL for this week’s office hours - sorry for the confusion!

https://meet.google.com/qbu-uwkr-jfr

1 Like

Hi! I’d like to join the Office Hours to learn more about this project. Do I need to sign up to a session prior to being let in? Thanks!

Hello! We’ve just finished, unfortunately, but anyone can join, and you don’t need to sign up or do anything to attend. Just click on the link above (https://meet.google.com/zcy-onjk-smi). I’m still around for another 10 mins if you wanted to ask anything now, but we’ll also be back next Friday.

We’ve just uploaded a recording of today’s Office Hours. You can find a link in the post below:

Hi - has there been a daylight savings change? I tried to join today’s session at 16:00 UTC, but … nothing. I see April 5th session will be at 15:00 UTC …

I’m really sorry we missed you! I’m not sure what happened, because we did have the meeting at 16:00 UTC. It may have been a different Meet URL after the mixup last week (which was my fault).

Currently the US and the rest of the world are a little out of sync with daylight savings, but that should resolve itself on Sunday.

And you’re right about next week’s. With the clocks going forward for most of us, it means the same numeric time is actually an hour earlier UTC; 16:00 British Summer Time, or 15:00 UTC. Please let us know if this isn’t as convenient and we’ll look at changing the time. And sorry again for missing you today.