Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 9th September 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 2nd September 2024

1 Like
4 Likes
  • Lots of GNOME 47 packaging. This time a lot of my work was sponsoring work from others on the team.
  • Simon did a bunch of work on gtk4 to fix remaining test issues on other architectures.
  • Simon & I worked together to get autopkgtests working again with mutter 47rc. Alessandro also fixed an important mutter 47rc build test issue. Simon ended up skipping some flaky tests so that hopefully the autopkgtests pass more reliably now.

• Worked with Alessandro to temporarily vendor libspelling into our gnome-text-editor packaging for Ubuntu 24.10. We will do a proper MIR for libspelling for Ubuntu 25.04.
  • Matthias packaged Kooha for Debian and Ubuntu. It is a simple screen recorder app that uses Rust+libadwaita.
  • Bastian finished updating the gnome-authenticator .deb package from its original Python version to the new Rust+libadwaita version. This was the last thing keeping an ancient version of libhandy in Debian. (libhandy is the GTK3 version of what eventually became libadwaita. A newer version of libhandy is still in Debian and Ubuntu.)

• Finished the Rust GNOME 47 transition for Debian. This ended up being about 90 uploads to Debian Unstable not counting the prep work in Experimental!
  • Debian and Ubuntu finally updated the cjs package to use mozjs115, allowing us to remove the obsolete mozjs102. I expected that mozjs115 would be End of Life this month. However, Mozilla has extended support, but only for old versions of Windows and macOS. I’m still hopeful that the cjs developers will quickly switch to mozjs128 like gjs has done.
  • Removed my block on vte2.91 after a month, allowing the new version to migrate to Debian Testing but it will break the “open tabs in current working directory” feature for Tilix.

• Updated the ubuntu-desktop metapackage to install the Sysprof app by default, now that Security finished its MIR review of libdex. A few adminsitrative details need to be taken care of to finish this, hopefully tomorrow.
  • Worked with upstream to properly bump libspelling’s soname after some public symbols were removed. Also worked with upstream on a minor licensing issue.
5 Likes