Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 23rd September 2024

Hi everyone, below you will find updates from the Desktop team’s Integration squad from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Integration Squad Updates – Monday 16th September 2024

1 Like
2 Likes
  • Uploaded gtk4 4.16 and libadwaita 1.6 to Debian Unstable which enabled us to then upload most of the rest of GNOME 47 to Unstable also. It should be migrating to Debian Testing within a few days.
  • Uploaded gjs 1.82 to Debian Unstable. Because mozjs is no longer built on armel, GNOME Shell will no longer be available on that architecture now either.
  • Requested that the Debian Release Team allow us to proceed with the GNOME Shell 47 transition, which includes the pieces of GNOME 47 that are not already in Unstable. This request hasn’t been approved yet, but it will be the easiest GNOME Shell transition in Debian in years.

• I noticed a patch to enable the GNOME Recipes app to be buildable again so I have reuploaded the app to Debian’s NEW queue
  • I helped guvcview get back into Ubuntu in time for its inclusion in Ubuntu Budgie 24.10 Beta. Thanks Phil Wyett for preparing the fixed version for Debian.
  • I helped with completing the ffmpeg 7 transition in Ubuntu
  • As part of my GNOME Release Team responsibilities, I prepared the GNOME 46.5 release

• The bugs I reported against webkitgtk 2.46 were fixed in Debian’s 2.46.0-2 upload, including fixing the armhf package and fixing the epiphany build on s390x.
  • Split gnome-shell-extensions into separate binary packages for each extension and the addition of a new gnome-classic package (and gnome-classic-xsession for those who can’t use Wayland yet). This significantly improves the clutter in the Extensions app since most people won’t need all the extensions. GNOME Classic itself only uses 4 extensions (which happens to be the same number as the Ubuntu session).

• Many uploads to finish the packaging of GNOME 47.0 which was released Wednesday and in preparation for Ubuntu 24.10 Beta (which is being released today)

• There was a new release of the Aisleriot card games app this week. I noticed that the Debian build worked great, but the Ubuntu 24.10 build would not start. I remembered that there was a revert of a new version of guile-3.0 pushed to Debian. Because the revert’s stated reason was only because the new version of guile wouldn’t build on some architectures, I avoided manually syncing the revert earlier, thinking that it would be fine to have the new version stuck in oracular-proposed. I figured I needed to sync the revert now. After the revert was built, I rebuilt Aisleriot and it worked. This had me worried about whether other Guile apps that had been automatically synced since the end of June were also broken. I confirmed that gnucash was similarly broken and was fixed with a rebuild. Instead of testing the other apps, I simply rebuilt them. I doubt that the other apps have many users, especially in a non-LTS version of Ubuntu.
2 Likes