Which kernel will Ubuntu 21.10 use?

I read somewhere on Twitter that 21.10 is sticking to 5.13. No chance it’ll get 5.14?

1 Like

We are currently testing and maintaining a linux-unstable 5.14 in the unstable ppa (https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-team/+archive/ubuntu/unstable/), but the plan is to stick with 5.13 in 21.10 for now.

6 Likes

Hopefully that changes

1 Like

Why do you hope that? Which specific kernel feature of 5.14, which is not present in 5.13 do you need?

• Think-LMI driver
  • support for upcoming AMD & Intel CPUs & GPUs
1 Like

The Think-LMI driver is useful for people with specific firmware. After a first glance, I do not think, that the new driver is essential. I see it more as a nice-to-have feature.

I do not package the kernel (for a PPA) and I do not know, how the kernel packagers work, but you can always open a bug report on launchpad.net and describe in detail, why this driver is needed.

• What is not working without this driver?
  • What are the benefits?
  • Which hardware/firmware is affected?

If you have good reasons and also other people have the same need, I think, the new driver could land also in the 5.13 Ubuntu kernel. And if not, there are other ways to have a newer kernel in impish: PPA, compile from source.

I doubt, that anyone can help you with this.

There has been this issue about AMD Ryzen 4xxx and later that they fail modern standby - unless ACPI tables contained some flag + something else. This huge thread deals with multiple issues related to standby and power management: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1230

Shortly put the 5.14 is the first stock kernel that most modern AMD laptops can use. 5.15 would be even better.

3 Likes

We are working on a 5.15 linux-unstable at the moment. If you want to give it a try packages are available in ppa:canonical-kernel-team/unstable (keep in mind that is an unstable kernel, so it has not passed all the testing yet).

1 Like

Yes, I can get working kernel. It would be nice if ubuntu would work out of the box with most new amd laptops. :slight_smile: I understand that amd hasnt been very proactive with this issue, but now the status of these (power management and suspend/resume) issues seem promising. That 5.13 kernel is unusable for most (?) of these ryzen (zen2 or later) laptops.

2 Likes