What's happening in Noble repositories?

Long story short: this is expected. The Noble repos are in flux for multiple reasons as mentioned above.

2 Likes

As stated in the IRC snippet by vorlon quoted earlier in this thread, amd64 binaries built when the affected xz-utills was in -proposed have been deleted. These will be replaced by doing rebuilds of those packages, which is in progress but not yet complete.

2 Likes

This snipped from the latest update on the xz security issue should hopefully give a more clear indication of the massive overhaul that is happening in the Noble repos right now:

2 Likes

New here. Joined after finding this post when I set out to see why the upgrade included so many i386 packages instead of amd64 ones. Seems like I’ll have to wait for a while now.

I discovered it yesterday when I decided I wanted to install 24.04 and try it out, but I couldn’t install anything I actually use (GIMP, libreoffice, etc etc etc). I came on this thread as the problem for all the missing packages and broken dependencies.

I’m sure that rebuilds are well underway, my question is will this delay the release on 4/25?

You may have saw the Beta was delayed by a week:

This is reflected on the official release schedule:

as well as this event that was made for it:

but you’ll notice that the final release date hasn’t changed, either in the official release schedule or the event created for it:

tl;dr no

2 Likes

This hosed my entire system. Thank goodness for timeshift. I reverted back to 22.04 to find mutter was broken. Ubuntu seems to be in a bad place.

Don’t :clap: use :clap: development :clap: releases :clap: in :clap: production :clap:

There’s a newer version of Mutter in jammy-updates than in jammy-release, so if you reverted but didn’t upgrade, that might be the explanation.

You could also upgrade to 23.10.

9 Likes

No, hence the reason we have tools like Timeshift, and Clonezilla. A development box is not a production machine.

Words are hard, and they have multiple meanings.

A development machine is absolutely a production machine.

As in, you have it in production use, for development.

The development release is and and always has been unstable, and not recommended for anyone to use other than those contributing to Ubuntu, and testing Ubuntu.

Also, coming here to tell us you had to restore an important (to you) system from backup is a fantastic story to tell :tada: . Please tell more people to have backups of their important systems. Even if they install the wrong release on it :wink:

6 Likes

Thinking is harder, concepts are concrete and abstract. A development release unstable? Really? Where would you put such a release? Surely not anywhere near a development machine. Thanks for enlighting us.

Your comment is not productive.

Hah! Okay!

• Development machine (where development of Ubuntu happens) obviously can run the in development release of Ubuntu. Many of the Ubuntu developers do this, clearly.

• Development machine (where development of something other than Ubuntu happens) is “in production” as a development machine. No, I wouldn’t run the development version of Ubuntu on that machine, no.

And if we’re picking holes in the productiveness of comments. You joined a thread in which there was an existing conversation for days about how things are a little unstable to tell us things are unstable. :man_shrugging:

We know

4 Likes

In other words, development versions of Ubuntu are nightly/alpha/beta versions. They are not versions of Ubuntu targeted to developers (unlike how Firefox has a version of Firefox targeting web developers: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/).

2 Likes

Speaking as an Ubuntu developer, though, that’s usually in a virtual machine or a container.

That is great. I looked through your commits. Definitely great you’re helping out with documentation. I need to get back to my drivers. I have a deadline. Enjoy your week.

I’d just like to note a practical development within the last like 1-2 days…I have 24.04 (upgraded from 22.04) on one VM and (with systemback making a USB installer) a pair of Core 2 Duo notebooks (they are “a tad” slow but great screen, keyboard, and speakers and Steam remote play runs perfect on them.)

I’m a hit and a miss on these… I noticed the updates of the last 1-2 days or so resulted in no GUI.

The VM, I got to actually fully updated state, no more held back packages and nothing missing! The other system, i knocked it offline (network-manager removed…) so it could not download packages to recover things (and since my install on it only took 10 minutes I decided to not try a heroic recovery).

About a week ago, after I saw “aptitude full-upgrade” and “aptitude upgrade” were both proposing mass deletions, I did “apt upgrade” after that. This removed (most of) libreoffice, aptitude, and cheese but everything kept working otherwise.

On the VM – first, I realized I still had winehq-staging on there; so I removed winehq-staging, wine-staging, wine-staging-amd64 and wine-staging-i386. Then “apt autoremove” (which removed evince but otherwise just a bunch of libs, including the i386 ones wine was using). “apt upgrade” installed some packages but was still holding back loads of packages (and breaking the desktop), but “apt full-upgrade” then upgraded everything, no more held back packages and a fully functional system!

So the last week of “apt full-upgrade” removed aptitude, cheese, (most of) libreoffice, and more recently evince. So aptitude, cheese, and libreoffice installed zero issues. “apt install evince” wouldn’t go, but “aptitude install evince” replaced like 3 or 4 libs and installed it.

The notebook, before I got a chance to try “aptitude upgrade”, the last “apt upgrade” uninstalled network-manager knocking it off line. Since installing Ubuntu + Steam took like 10 minutes, I decided not to do any heroics to recover it; like copy the needed .deb files over on a USB stick, or get it back online with ethernet or figure out how to supply a WPA2 password via CLI or whatever.

Cheese has been removed because will be replaced by gnome-snapshot

Ubuntu 24.04 Swaps Cheese for GNOME Snapshot

Joey Sneddon tells us Ubuntu 24.04 LTS will be using Snapshot as its default webcam app (replacing Cheese). We’re given some history of Ubuntu and the Cheese app, before moving to GNOME’s replacement Snapshot app. We’re also told that Cheese exists in the repositories should we prefer it.

My Ubuntu Noble installed from ISO dated 2024-03-24 and updated daily works very well.
Only once i was forced to do full-upgrade to bypass a problem.

Ah cool. I don’t mind a nice cheese replacement. Works for me!

Anyway – great job!

As a very long-time Linux user, I went through LFS (greater than 2GB file size support) transition; a.out (libc4) to ELF (libc5); libc5 to libc6. And I must say this was the smoothest of them!

This is probably not the place for this discussion BUT the dev branch of noble actually seems pretty stable to me - as a newbie who ignorantly upgraded his PC’s stable Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to 24.04 dev branch. Claiming this because I’ve ran a number of "apt upgrade"s until this point.

[Back-story: I was way too careless and didn’t bother to check what the -d flag does in do-release-upgrade. Though I don’t know why trying do-release-upgrade alone - initially - didn’t show me the option to upgrade to 23.10. Anyways, I basically got tired and blindly followed an online instruction just for the thrill of upgrading.]

Note that I already had a bunch of stuff pre-installed from jammy and after software-properties-gtk was fixed, I’m still using repos meant for jammy to keep my Brave, OBS, MikTeX and FSearch up to date. I don’t really know how secure that is but I’ve already done it. I guess I can’t complain now. Constructive advice is welcome. Thank you for your time and patience.

Now things are back to a roughly normal state.
We maybe could close this thread?