Ubuntu Wiki pages edit

Oh! When I spoke to IS, they said part of the problem might be for people who are in a lot of Launchpad groups. IS is still short-staffed today, since Easter Monday is a holiday for a lot of people, but I’ll ask them once I sign in tomorrow.

2 Likes

@gunnarhj I was never a member of the wiki editors team until this morning and I was able to edit merely being a Ubuntu member until this latest crisis. After I was approved this morning I was once again able to edit. It may be related. I don’t know.

1 Like

Sounds related to me. Let’s see what @madhens finds out tomorrow.

3 Likes

Due to this message on the doc list I just checked my current access to the wikis, and found that I can no longer edit at https://help.ubuntu.com/community either — previously I was only denied edit access to https://wiki.ubuntu.com.

Is the thought that everyone, including Ubuntu members and developers, must now join ~ubuntu-wiki-editors to be able to edit? Sure, I can do that personally, but I don’t think it would be a satisfying “solution”. Long standing members and developers should keep being considered trusted without hassle.

Gunnar, even being a member of the ubuntu-wiki-editors group, you’re unable to edit https://help.ubuntu.com/community? Is that correct? I was able to edit the page, but because of an SSO issue, I can’t check if just having that membership bit is enough, versus that AND a canonical membership bit.

I am sorry for the continuing technical issues with the wikis and SSO, and I will see if I can get someone from IS to reply to this current issue.

No. Quoting from a previous comment:

“May be worth mentioning that I have never been a member of ~ubuntu-wiki-editors, since I became an Ubuntu Member before that team was invented.”

But I’m a member of ~ubuntumembers, and until recently that was sufficient for both the wikis.

1 Like

Evidently the change was made before I joined the community back in 2020, since I had to request to join the team to make my wiki page, to help prevent spam.

But with the help of the IS team, who had the idea, we’ve added ubuntumembers as members of the ubuntu-wiki-editors team. Can you try to edit the community help wiki after logging out and logging back in, with your ubuntumembers membership checked?

4 Likes

Actually I had that thought too. :slight_smile: And yes, now — with my new indirect ~ubuntu-wiki-editors membership — I’m able to get edit access to both the Community Help Wiki and the general wiki.ubuntu.com.

A detail which might be a coincidence — or not:

• My first attempt to log in to wiki.ubuntu.com failed with that “OpenID error: Nonce already used or out of range.” message.

• Then I tried the Community Help Wiki, and logging in there opens a “Personal Data Request” page. First ~ubuntu-wiki-editors was unchecked while ~ubuntumembers was checked. I chose to check also ~ubuntu-wiki-editors, which gave me edit access.

• Finally I returned to wiki.ubuntu.com, and even if that “Personal Data Request” page does not show up there, I could now get edit access for that wiki too. Can’t tell if the info is shared between the two wikis somehow.

Anyway, thanks for the solution! :+1:

4 Likes

The OpenID error is unrelated - but still annoying! I know IS is working on a more permanent solution, but for right now, we all might have to hit log in more than once. But the editing works, which is wonderful! And thank @cjwatson for his brilliant insight and for @lucyllewy for helping implement it! :blush:

5 Likes

I believe IS has now fixed login issues with #149555.

1 Like