Ubuntu Web Remix

@ss3988024 Like @ogra mentioned, you are expected to use sudo for getting root privileges. This is for your security.

It is definitely not recommended to set a root password (although you can set it by typing sudo passwd root in the terminal).

thank you. so far, im enjoying using ubuntu web. smooth and no prob at all. impressive! keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your work @rs2009. Just a quick question: I’m trying to boot this distro on an old Dell Vostro 1510 with Intel Core 2 Duo T5870, but it fails and i can’t get past a initramfs console. I tried 3 different USB sticks, Rufus and Win32DiskImager to create the live USB, but the problem persist. I also checked che MD5 and it matches. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

@marculfo Are you attempting to boot the LiveCD, or are you attempting to boot an installed system?

@rs2009 I created a live CD with Rufus. The PC boot from it, get to the GRUB screen and I select “try Ubuntu without install”. I see a “Ubuntu Web” logo with a spinning circle for a copule of seconds, then it stops (without any error) and I reach the BusyBox built-in shell with initramfs command line.

@rs2009, you need to redirect people with technical support questions such as this to the proper place. Per the header:

This site is not for technical support.

Since Ubuntu Web is a Remix and not an official flavor, you need to be able to redirect people to somewhere to do technical support. Ubuntu Discourse is not the place to do that.

Thanks for your understanding.

4 Likes

@eeickmeyer Sure, Erich.

I’ve created a Telegram group and announcements channel at https://t.me/ubuntuwebdiscuss and https://t.me/ubuntuwebannounce, respectively.

@marculfo Could you please ask your query at the above Telegram group link?

Sure, thank you! I also asked on askubuntu.com, let’s see if someone can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, an update has been pushed to all computers running Ubuntu Web, bringing the popular libre software app repository/store F-Droid to Anbox in Ubuntu Web. You can install the update from the Software Updater. We are currently working on bringing /e/ Apps to Anbox as well.

2 Likes

Chromium is free and open source why would u create it on Firefox? also, chromium has better place in market

@rs2009 thank you for all the hard work! Ubuntu Web Remix is an excellent idea! Cheers !

1 Like

There is Alien, at least for RPMs, though YMMV.

1 Like

given it pre-installs anbox you should surely be able to also install apk’s in the anbox VM …

1 Like

Good call, i forgot about anbox.

Because chromium is owned and maintained by google which cannot be trusted. I think you should research on this a lot more to know why such decision is taken.

I can!t wait for this be available for the Pinebook Pro. Any news regarding the ARM port? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, we are currently facing a few anbox-dkms compilation issues, which has kept me quite busy for some time. Hence, I haven’t had enough time to look into the arm64 port.

1 Like

Why don’t you reach out to the Pine64 community? There are some capable beings working on ports and tweaks all the time. There was some buzz, when I opened the forum thread for your OS fork. :slight_smile: I personally would recommend Lukasz, who is the community manager. He might know who would be interested to contribute to your efforts, when it comes to arm64 port.

No rush, of course, just being excited, that’s all. :wink: Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Can you switch to brave? A true SSB experience will make the users experience with Ubuntu Web much more better and firefox isn’t as promising as it used to be, I also saw the voting system and was too late, it was already closed. But I see almost half of the community wants Brave? Even though firefox got more voting (not surprised), linux users will vote for firefox but you know that brave is the better option, the whole OS (ubuntu web) will be based on firefox, without SSB, it would not be great, also brave’s rewards system, access to chrome web store, makes it a better option. Please use Brave, I also use firefox so I am not biased but such an OS like ubuntu web needs a browser that can give proper SSB experience!

Hello, i tried Ubuntu web remix, and it was working fine until today.

I installed an extension for gnome shell and upgraded software, but when i restarted i find out that my system changed.

It now looks like GNOME version of ubuntu instead of Ubuntu web.

Can someone please tell me how to reinstall/reset the frontend part only?

Thanks, Pranav.

EDIT:

I found that there is problem with Dash-To-Panel extension.

Here is the error message

The settings of extension dash-to-panel@jderose9.github.com had an error: Error: Invalid parameter interfaces (element 0 was not a GType) Stack trace: _init/GObject.Object._classInit@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/core/overrides/GObject.js:448:27 registerClass@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/core/overrides/GObject.js:94:22 @/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/[dash-to-panel@jderose9.github.com/prefs.js:2286:30](http://dash-to-panel@jderose9.github.com/prefs.js:2286:30) _init@resource:///org/gnome/Shell/Extensions/js/extensionsService.js:204:33 OpenExtensionPrefsAsync/<@resource:///org/gnome/Shell/Extensions/js/extensionsService.js:122:28 asyncCallback@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/core/overrides/Gio.js:132:13 run@resource:///org/gnome/Shell/Extensions/js/dbusService.js:175:20 main@resource:///org/gnome/Shell/Extensions/js/main.js:19:13 run@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:222:19 start@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:206:5 @/usr/share/gnome-shell/org.gnome.Shell.Extensions:1:17