Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04

hi, how to make menu in panel always show?
thanks for making remix ubuntu, I appreciate that

LightDM is Qt based, GDM3 is GTK. While not necessarily an issue for most (MATE is a GTK desktop, like Unity, and Ubuntu MATE uses LightDM). Also some donā€™t agree with GDM3 or LightDM. Also, Ubuntu uses GMD3, and Ubuntu Unity wantā€™s a very classic older Ubuntu version.

No itā€™s not. What made you think that?

Itā€™s both

Actually it depends on which greeter is used. Neither unity-greeter nor lightdm-gtk-greeter depends on Qt.

I download from ā€œlightdmā€

Love your Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04. I have installed it on 3 computers. Itā€™s awesome!!!

I understand that. But lightdm needs a greeter or ā€œfront-endā€, and thatā€™s what determines which graphical toolkit is used.

It does? Never noticed I needed that.

UMix is a paid distribution. A subscription needs to be purchased by making a one-time payment of $15.
Having to pay to use Ubuntu, I sure wonā€™t.

Not sure if you are talking about the same distro as this one. I have this already and was able to download it freely.

I was replying to sarru1291ā€™s comment, and the distribution I was referring to is UMix, not Ubuntu Unity Remix. :wink:

Just looked it up. I see what you mean.

Hi there, I am about to switch from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04 and I wonder what is the difference between installing stock Ubuntu 20.04 and adding Unity 7 as alternative desktop and Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04. Why should I choose the latter? Thank you in advance for answering my newbie question.

"20.10 Alpha 1 Release Notes:

Version bump from 20.04 to 20.10
HUD and Global Menu now work with Firefox"

Seriously?
You used firefox packages from xenial. Very inappropriate method you are using ā€¦
Firefox updates at least once monthly, ex. just updated to 78.0.1ā€¦ in 20.10 so users will lose the menu very quickly.

2 Likes

Hi! Downoald from torrent is not work!

Hello, first of all congrats for reviving ubuntu unity. I like the distro very much, it looks very cool, i installed it to try it, what i dont like is that when doing a minimal install it isnā€™t that minimal, libreoffice is still there even if i did a minimal install, it has doubled apps, like settings, email app, and other, ram usage is high :neutral_face: ā€¦ but i believe if these issues will be fixed i will use it as my primary distro, thank you, and keep up the good work :+1:

Agreed.

According to this blog post this is only a temporary work around but the advice that users need to update Firefox by downloading the latest release from a Launchpad or ā€˜Ubuntu archiveā€™ URL is not a means of receiving updates that Ubuntu users will be used to.

@rs2009, what is your long term solution to this issue given that the Xenial release of Ubuntu will be ā€˜End of Lifeā€™ in April 2021, that the patch to Firefox to support Unity menus is 5200 lines long and hasnā€™t been part of Firefox in the most recent releases of Ubuntu as Canonicalā€™s Desktop Team have come to the conclusion that it is now too much work to continue supporting?

The patch is currently supported in 18.04, may last the life of??
In any event the blog and comments are even worse than the using of 16.04ā€™s package in the image.
Advising users to lock firefox is a terrible idea, this little project has had so many questionable thingsā€¦

If you want to provide this menu then get a repo, patch and build firefox for whatever Ubuntu release your doing, keep it updated ( plus note Debian/Ubuntu do patch firefox for various other reasonsā€¦

(- a handful of users who know where to look get an updated, patched firefox for 20.04, will so while the patch is still viable

@rs2009 there is a reason alot of remixs need custom repos. This is one of them. The Firefox update is a security update. You need to include it