Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04

This is a pretty good remix! Thanks - shame that, while Gnome continue to commit suicide with Nautilus there isn’t a decent alternative around. As a result, I’m staying on 16.04 for now, and then probably jumping onto another bandwagon!

@martin-j-bartlett Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04 will be moving away from Nautilus in V4 (on popular demand), which will be out soon! :slightly_smiling_face: Stay tuned.

1 Like

If I am not wrong xfce uses lightdm and is under active development so lightdm will most likely be updated regularly.

@nullrequest V4 of Ubuntu Unity Remix 20.04 is now available. LightDM is used now instead of GDM3, based on the Twitter poll conducted two weeks ago.

2 Likes

Yeah i didn’t see that. I just saw that you wanted to use GDM3 because of support. So I wanted to inform you about the xfce and the fact it uses lightdm.

Also are the download links still valid. And is the script to move from regular Ubuntu to unity remix ready?

I’m from Brazil, so I’m sorry for the bad English. Since Ubuntu 16.04, I use dolphin as a file manager and I think it is much better than nautilus, caja and nemo. Maybe you could put it as the default manager. It has several functions that can be added (plugins), and thus, allow various actions with pdf’s, images, etc. Most of these plugins, I managed to make it work, but if everything was already installed, it would be much easier (it takes a lot of work to configure it). In addition, it has the terminal embedded in the dolphin, which can be hidden; and to view / reproduce the content of the file (txt, pdf, images, musics, videos), as a music player, I use amarok. which I also consider better than several players, because it has a lot of features. So maybe incorporating several KDE features would be a good thing. In fact, the best would be if you get the best of each environment, for example, in gnome, when you want to watch a movie online and exclude the black part of the video, you have to zoom in and when putting it in full screen , everything works correctly, but in unity, when you zoom in and put the video in full screen, the top panel does not disappear, having to disable the ubuntu unity plugin from compiz - to disappear the panel - and reactivate it again after film, which sometimes causes the compiz to crash, luckily it restarts itself. I saw that the mate tilda was brought, which makes it a lot easier, but in mate, the key is F11, if F1 doesn’t conflict, this shortcut might be better. So, maybe everyone can talk about what they like best about each environment, and then, you can make a more complete and more robust system.

I’m using unity together with mate, it seems that the latter has better stability with compiz, if you can find out why, maybe it helps, but the native HUD of unity doesn’t work, just mate’s one (you have to press alt twice).

Another thing I discovered, and it might also help, is that you can change environments without having to log out, by executing the following commands, in that order:
1 - metacity --replace &
2 - gnome-shell --replace &
And to return to unity:
1 - metacity --replace &
2 - compiz --debug --replace &

I thought it was cool to revive unity, there are a lot of people who like this system, it couldn’t let it die like that. I think the more it is optimized, the sooner it becomes the standard again, if we could integrate it with unity 8 in some way and make gnome extensions work on unity, it would win over even gnome lovers. It seems silly, but it is difficult to detach from an environment because of one or another feature, until today I have not overcome the zoom, the pomodoro, among other gnome extensions, but I also do not go back to the gnome exactly because of the compiz and for not locking straight as gnome. So, gnome extensions + some kde programs + estability of mate with compiz + some other things that they think are better from other environments + integration with unity 8 or make it all run on unity 8. Some gnome effects, like manipulation of windows with severals work areas would also be nice. Let’s make Unity big again.

I would say that beta V4 is very good (both in appearance (which is evolving) and in applications), but the installation problem still persists:

@anon66904900 Yup, there was an Installer bug that has been fixed now. Please re-download the ISO from the same location.

Niceeee. Thanks for listening your users!

After I tried to install beta V4, it kind of corrupted the notebook and Windows 8.1, which forced me to format from scratch. To avoid such a situation again, I will wait for the beta to stabilize before trying a new test.

Indeed, this is very encouraging.

Before upgrading, preferably after upgrading too, back up the system, I use Systemback, but there are people who think Timeshift is better. So if something goes wrong, it can go back to exactly what it was before. I recommend backing up the system and including, before backing up, the user settings folders (/home/user/.*). If, after the update, it is not possible to return to the login screen, press CTRL + ALT + F1 or CTRL + ALT + F2, the user will be prompted, type and press ENTER, the password will be prompted, type and press ENTER, type sudo systemback-cli and choose the backup (type the number corresponding to the backup) and press 2 (Complete restoration); you will be asked if you want to keep the current fstab file? (Y / N), I recommend typing N; otherwise, the system may not recognize the UUID and fail to start one of the units or more (/dev/sda2, for example). After the restoration, the system will be restarted. And remember to schedule the backup every 1 day or more. If you need to return to the login screen before restoring, press CTRL + ALT + F7. I didn’t liked to back up, but backing up the system (without the documents) and user settings makes it much easier later. For example, you did some kind of configuration and you don’t know how to fix it, or you don’t remember what was done, or the repair is difficult / complicated, or there is almost nothing about this error, especially when you are upgradding to a new system or a reckless configuration will be made. Restoring the backup will replace the system folders (/bin, /etc, /usr, etc.) and the user settings folders. As for the Timeshift, I saw the restoration through the terminal at: https://www.edivaldobrito.com.br/aplicativo-de-restauracao-do-sistema/

Backing up system and user settings saves a lot of time and headaches. Believe me! I resisted a lot in backing up the system, until I understood how it was easier to restore when an error occurs, because it is after the system cannot be repaired and you realize that you will need to reinstall everything from scratch and configure everything again, and that to you let everything like it was before, it will take a long time, you think: I could have done the backup; but now it’s too late kkkk. Imagine having to do this several times?

Hi!
Please confirm or get solution for this bug in wine
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49240

Awesome, I will check and let you know how it goes. I have missed Unity and did not want to install unity desktop on top of Ubuntu without right integration. if this works, I am back to Unity.

2 Likes

If I use it as my main OS will I get automatic updates for the next releases? Both yours and the Ubuntu ones

Hello. Congratulations to you for what you did with this release. It may be completely no way, but I thought that, in order to keep as many component with traditionnal global menu as possible, it would maybe be a good idea to replace some of them with the ones used in the cinnamon desktop. For instance, use Xed instead of Gedit, Xviewer instead of Eye of Gnome, Xreader instead of Evince. I know that it would maybe make too much of an hybrid of ubuntu and linux mint, but I personally feel there is too much “hamburger” menu applications in the new gnome stack. What do you think about it ?

3 Likes

Alpha 1 build of Ubuntu Unity 20.10 Groovy Gorilla is now available and can be downloaded from:
MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkjm9e3izdaf3/20.10-Alpha1
MEGA: https://mega.nz/folder/Odp0xS4B#XD_w91w9B42NMNbOPj8vNA

20.10 Alpha 1 Release Notes:

1. Version bump from 20.04 to 20.10
  2. HUD and Global Menu now work with Firefox
  3. Username now shows on Menu, if configured in Settings
  4. Pressing power button now gives options of lock/suspend/restart/shutdown instead of directly going into Suspend mode
3 Likes

Is this stable enough for noob’s daily usage :slight_smile: ?

If needed, better candidate maybe inside Ubuntu Mate or Xubuntu instead of those Xapps.