Ubuntu Pro privacy

Hello everyone,

I have doubts about the privacy of Ubuntu Pro. What kind of data is going to be collected, and how is it going to be used? Do you have a privacy policy for Ubuntu Pro users?

Many thanks in advance.

Ubuntu Pro - personal, Terms of Service | Ubuntu

6. Personal data

So that we can provide the Service to you, you will be required to provide information about yourself such as your name and email address. Any such information you provide to Canonical must always be accurate, correct and up to date and in compliance with these Terms of Service.

Our Single Sign On Privacy Notice and Privacy Policy explain how we treat your personal data and protect your privacy when using these Services. In addition, if you use the Service for more than the entitled number of physical or virtual Ubuntu systems Canonical may contact you directly, using the SSO account details provided, to discuss ongoing maintenance and support requirements.

We may also collect certain non-personally-identifiable information, which is located on your computer. The information collected may include statistics relating to how often data is transferred, and performance metrics in relation to software and configuration. You agree this information may be retained and used by Canonical.

Canonical may disclose any or all personal data and content you have sent, posted or published if required to comply with applicable law or the order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental body. All other use of your personal data is subject to the Privacy Policy.

8 Likes

Canonical “may”, or may not, collect certain non-personally identifiable information, but they do not specify what kind of data they are collecting, so I cannot know if it is really non-personal. The policy also states many purposes for the data that they collect, with a lack of transparency, allowing them to do almost anything.

The lack of precision in the privacy policy concerns me since I use Ubuntu to have enhanced privacy.

4 Likes