Ubuntu Pro - FAQ

A post was split to a new topic: How do I remove Ubuntu Pro ‘advert’

Thank you for responding lech:

I leave capture of the results of the commands you indicated me. However, the problem is that although I have an Ubuntu One account, I have never subscribed to Ubuntu Pro. I do have the Ubuntu advantage Tools package installed (I think it is called that). What I don’t understand is why it says to install Ubuntu Pro packages, when as far as I know I don’t have any of them. I hope that with the images that I pass you, you can clarify me something, since I do not understand much of the matter. If it is true that I have installed some packages, when I do sudo apt update and then apt list upgradable, I get packages held (Now I have none), and if I have installed any of them.

I don’t know what you could tell me. Because the funny thing is that today I actuliazo the kernel (Linux headers etc) and the normal thing is to have to restart the pc, and then self-remove the old ones, but today has done both, but did not ask me to restart the pc, just as it considers the esm apps, pending, below did not put reboot system or remember then, did not put anything. I just in case I reboot the pc, because I know that to avoid reboots in updates, you need the livepatch, but I do not have it (See attached image).

I hope that with the screenshots you can give me some advice.

GREETINGS .

Captura desde 2023-12-13 17-35-53
Captura desde 2023-12-13 17-36-16

It does not say anywhere that you need to install them, but it tells you that packages you have installed have open security issues that you could fix by updating to the versions provided via esm/pro for free … you are indeed free to ignore them, but it would be odd (and irresponsible from us IMHO) if we did not tell you that your system is vulnerable to unfixed security issues…

Thanks for this information, it’s very helpful. We’ve been using Ubuntu server for several LTS releases, just working on migrating to version 22.04LTS.

Can you clarify if we will get patches, especially security updates, without Ubuntu Pro, for packages like apache2, tomcat (9, I think), mysql, Open JRE/JDK, specifically? Some of what I read suggests that we will, for anything that we install using apt install from standard repositories. I’m still unclear about what packages are from main vs. universe, vs. others, and what we can only get updates for with Ubuntu Pro subscription.

Thanks.

See 4 posts above yours, Lech gave the exact commands you need to run to find this out…

A post was split to a new topic: Ubuntu Pro privacy

A post was split to a new topic: Single VM support

Howdy, So I wanted to ask a question and if it was asked below I apologize; If I wanted to buy Ubuntu Pro licenses right now via the website in order to license ‘Unlimited VM’s’ on an ESXI/vSphere hypervisor… which is supported. Which license would I buy? Second, but just as important, How would I license those hosted vm’s?

The process by which a person can license the underlying virtual machines, on one of the supported hypervisor hosts must be a guarded secret because I cannot find a single definitive thing anywhere.

Thanks!

hi @benh

You can get the number of licenses corresponding to the number of physical hosts you have. You then get access to the Ubuntu Pro portal where you obtain your Ubuntu Pro token. You can then attach all the VMs on your hosts using a token provided.

Livepatch latest kernel support is for
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64-bit x86 6.5 (HWE)

I am using
Ubuntu Noble Numbat (development branch) Linux 6.8.0-11-generic

When will 24.04 LTS get Livepatch support?

Most likely when it turns into an actual LTS with its .1 release…

But also surely not before the actual release date.

Thank you Lech! One more if I may, if I have 10 vsphere hosts running say like 200 ubuntu vm’s of compatible versions. Then the 10 physical licenses cover all of those?
I encountered an issue recently where we purchased what I thought was 10 vmhost/physical licenses which actually turned out to be 10 individual vm licenses. It’s a very long and drawn out ordeal. Suffice to say the waters being so murky with what exactly to buy and then exactly how to employ licenses to cover my situation. I felt it best to shotgun the question out (so to speak).

Is there any documentation and information how Ubuntu Pro works with selfhosted Landscape server? We have both servers that have internet access and those that does not. Our goal is to have our selfhosted landscape server to handle all the ubuntu repos, pro repos and the pro licens reporting, so we dont need any proxy/internet access for the servers, only access to our selfhosted landscape server that have internet access, is this a possible senario?

Hi,
what if I need to enable Ubuntu Pro on multiple VMs with Ubuntu Server on an IaaS environment (VMware based, but not a Public Cloud) where I don’t have any control on the nodes (and there are a lot)?

I cannot for sure buy a node license for each node managed by my cloud provider…
And I only have visibility of my VMs and I cannot specify any rule to bind those VMs to a bunch of specific nodes.

Is it possible to buy licenses per single VMs?

Thanks

A post was split to a new topic: Security of Non-Pro systems

yes, that’s correct. 10 physical licenses would cover your 200 vms. Just remember to cover all physical machines in your environment, to be compliant. so if you have 10 vsphere hosts you need 10 Ubuntu Pro subscriptions. If you have 20, then you need 20, etc.

yes, pls contact our sales team, and they will be able to help you out.
https://ubuntu.com/contact-us/form?product=pro

Livepatch security coverage is available as soon as an Ubuntu LTS is generally available, so that includes day 1 of the Ubuntu LTS release, until the LTS goes end-of-life (EOL). Livepatch will cover the machine for the 5 years of standard support, and also through the expanded security maintenance (ESM) window which is 12 years, or more.

Any nuance around Livepatch coverage revolves around ensuring kernel updates are applied every 9 (for HWE kernels) to 13 months (for GA kernels), because Livepatch doesn’t allow you to defer rebooting for 12 years. Applying a kernel update means upgrading the kernel package, and rebooting the machine.

Lech, Continued thanks. One more if I may; “All physical machines in your environment”

Logically this should mean only those that either, you wish to manage with Ubuntu Pro, or in a virtualized environment only those hypervisor hosts that contains vm’s you want to manage with Ubuntu Pro.
Can you help me understand which is correct?

hi @benh - according to the Ubuntu Pro Service Terms you should cover “all Ubuntu systems within an environment”. So, for example, if your service on production is using 3 physical servers, then you need 3 licenses, not 1. Otherwise you would not be covering the whole environment

Hope this clarifies?