The road to Disco - what features might go in, what features actually hit the repos

I was only answering the problem of transparency of fork of one extension…and how to get out of it…, by not having it.

As you see, I don’t have those “transparency” problems.

That’s a nice collection of the new GNOME 3.32 features.: https://gitlab.gnome.org/Teams/Engagement/release-notes/issues/8

2 Likes

Breaking: With more than a year of preparations Marco Trevisan’s fractional scaling branches landed in Mutter and Gnome-shell.

Well done, @3v1n0 . https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/merge_requests/3

I guess that this feature will make a lot of people switch to the Wayland session. As this is a Wayland only feature.

5 Likes

There’s no such thing as Wayland yet, is there? Only an X server running on top of wayland. It should be Ubuntu on Xwayland, rather than Ubuntu on Wayland, right?

There is a Wayland session. Even if XWayland is still started as well at the moment. There was a lot of hassle to separate the codepaths this cycle to make XWayland start up just on demand. There is even a patchset by Carlos Garnacho ready to be merged, but I think that it is too close to 3.32 already.

XWayland is just a thing of the Wayland session. In an Xorg session there would be no need for XWayland.

Centering windows by default was reverted for 19.04. I really hope that they reconsider this because it was perfect on 18.10 :frowning:

1 Like

I looked in /usr, but can’t find much. only links to 2 apps.
Finally, I stopped Ubuntu on Wayland from showing up at login. Most apps don’t work in that anyway.

Today is hard code freeze for GNOME as well. So no new features on that front any more.

1 Like

The new gdk-pixbuf hit the repos:

NEWS
View file @ da9e6d00

2.38.1 (stable)

===

- Fix OOM in JPEG2000 loader [Ivan A. Melnikov, #107]

- Fix thumbnailing of animated GIFs [Debarshi Ray, #99]

- Multiple improvements to the GIF loader [Robert Ancell, !24, !28, !30, #22, #69 

- Fix build on Windows/MSYS2 [Christoph Reiter, !29]

- Fix soname versioning on macOS [Christoph Reiter, !23]

- Cross-compilation fixes for Android [Matthew Waters, #64]

- Fix building modules on macOS [Ignacio Casal Quinteiro, !18 and !19]

- Fix introspection generation [Iain Lane, #92]

- Fix error handling in PNG loader [Debarshi Ray, !16]

- Improve reproducibility of the build [Chris Lamb, !15]

- Speed up saving PNG files [Brion Vibber, #90]

- Add variables in the pkg-config files for binary utilities [Emmanuele Bassi, #88]

- Build fixes [Emmanuele Bassi, #88]
1 Like

The recently released xorg server 1.20.4 hit the repos today: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=X.Org-Server-1.20.4

1 Like

Not the Ubuntu repos, but Red Hat ones. Do we follow Red Hat?
Ubuntu disco has 1.20.3-1 still.

its in the proposed repo for disco https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server

2 Likes

Is it just for me, or is the ugly ImageMagick icon back in Disco?

@jbicha had succeeded in removing it in Artful and now it is back in my “show applications” list.

EDIT: Filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-settings/+bug/1819503

EDIT2: It turns out in this bug report, that CUPS doesn’t depend on ImageMagick anymore and can be safely removed now for good.

2 Likes

Today is GNOME 3.32. release day :beers:

And today I got Linux kernel 5:

Linux amano-desktop 5.0.0-7-generic #8-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 4 16:27:25 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

3 Likes

EDIT: I installed the Yaru debs manually and the Desktop is a fucking beauty.

I don’t even miss the transparent top bar. It is perfect as it is!!

Gongratz to @c-lobrano, @frederik-f, @jaggers, @madsrh, @eaglers and to all the others involved.

EDIT2:
Whoever missed @jbicha’s post:

Restored a minimal Sundry menu for upgraders (it’s at least better than X-GNOME-Sundry). To get rid of it, after upgrading, run gsettings reset-recursively org.gnome.desktop.app-folders (assuming you haven’t made any customizations to the app folders).
EDIT3: This command removed the Folders just temporarily. They always come back.

5 Likes

Thanks for the nice and unemotional thread. Was a good source of information!

3 Likes

Missing menu categories in Ubuntu 19.04,

Everything in one place…

The last big feature in the next days will the switch from Mesa 18.3 to 19.0.

Then Disco is more or less ready. Just bugfixes.

EDIT:
Can somebody start up the deb version of GIMP?

I get just that error:

gimp: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgimpcolor-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: gegl_buffer_iterator2_new

The snap works though.

For later reference:

That little script lets you open Synaptic in the Wayland session just like in the old X times by just clicking on it:

Just create a new script for Synaptic by typing

gedit admin:///usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec

(Don’t worry, you might have to enter your superuser password twice. That still seems to be a bug with the new and shiny gvfs admin backend)

Within the script file make sure that you add the xhost commands properly. The text should look like this:

#!/bin/sh
xhost +si:localuser:root
pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic “$@”
xhost -si:localuser:root

Now press “save” and from now on you can open Synaptic just by clicking the icon like in the old “X” times. It looks scary but it isn’t.

When Ubuntu switches to Wayland again such scripts should probably be installed by default then.

EDIT 20.3.: I updated the script above:
before I had set pkexec “/usr/sbin/synaptic” “$@” and it worked. Now I had to change it to pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic “$@”.

I don’t know why though.

1 Like

Firefox 66 and Mesa 19.0 ended up in the release pocket. So we are now more or less feature complete.

You can test the state of the Firefox Wayland support by following those steps:

1. Start the Ubuntu-Wayland session instead of the “ubuntu” one.

2. Open the terminal (gnome-terminal or whatever)

3. type

export GDK_BACKEND=wayland

1. type

firefox

1. After testing just close the terminal. The env variable in step 3 was just set temporarily, so the next time you start up Firefox it will use X(wayland) again.

EDIT:
IT WORKS!

Initially I saw just invisible windows. It turned out, that I had Webrender still enabled in about:config accidentally after an unsuccessful Webrender tryout.

Hooray
(= about:support)

EDIT 2 Just as an information: It seems that GDK_BACKEND isn’t supposed to be set globally. It is designed to be set per application. So don’t try to set it up globally, it will probably just not work or even prevent to start the desktop session. If you want Firefox to start up automatically, you will probably have to edit the firefox.desktop file (instead of Exec=firefox %u use Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=wayland /usr/bin/firefox %u. That will pass the per application env just to Firefox.