Testing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS & official Ubuntu flavors

@stephen-d-allen
Just informing.
All of them, Arch, Fedora, OpenSuse devs know that their users would surely use the gnome extensions, so everything needed is already installed, whereas Ubuntu tries to keep the users from using extensions. Those, who’d use extensions would install the missing gnome-shell-extension-prefs and get everything going. :slight_smile: It was there, but got uninstalled after an update, btw.

1 Like

Thanks @paulw2u. I wonder if the extensions tab will be removed from Gnome-Tweaks? I had thought that the ‘extensions’ app was replacing that functionality in Tweaks.

Beta is on Thursday. Everyone could help out, so please do!

And as stated as fossfreedom and I believe is mentioned but not enough-if you recieve a bug, please, please use ubuntu-bug to make an actual report instead of listing down what happened in QA, otherwise nothing will change. Directions are on QA page.

And yes, if anyone is wondering Ubuntu Cinnamon ISO will be out Thursday.

I have created an bug report regarding this Bug #1870184 “Snap store not showing ubuntu repository apt apps ...” : Bugs : snap-store-desktop please go to the bug and click on it effected me button so that it gets higher priority to the developers. Thanks. :relaxed:

If you’re experiencing WiFi performance with Intel WiFi drivers being slow, remove backport-iwlwifi-dkms. The performance is back to the way it should be with it gone.

Hi folks, so tomorrow morning I will be creating a new topic ‘Call for Beta Testing’. The layout will be the same with all links to the Beta ISOs for Ubuntu and the Flavors. If you downloaded/installed one of the daily build ISOs you can simply upgrade to the Beta through the terminal by doing ‘sudo apt dist-upgrade’. Also, I recommend checking out @popey’s post he made a few days ago for Ubuntu 20.04 Testing week.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update everybody that last week’s ‘Ubuntu Testing Week’ was another success with thousands of people turning out and reporting bugs that are actively being triaged and fixed in Ubuntu 20.04 and the Ubuntu flavors. Thank you to everyone that turned out and everyone that continues testing as bug fixes our applied to the Ubuntu daily builds. We are just one more week away from the Final release. :smiley:

4 Likes

Not sure if this has been brought to attention, but when you have the Ubuntu Dock at the bottom of the screen, the icons (favorites) cannot be rearranged. I wast able to do ubuntu-bug ubuntu-dock as “ubuntu-dock” was not found. If someone can tell me what it is called I will file a bug.

The package is gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock

but I think that issue has already been reported: #1867406

2 Likes

And the fix is already in the Proposed pocket. You will see it soonish™.

EDIT: Mine hit the release pocket as we speak.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

1 Like

Noticed this morning the dot notifying you of open application is overlapped by the Application name.

Hmm. Cannot confirm on Wayland. Latest updates installed…

The system itself is looking amazing and very stable. I didn’t spot any bugs for a while now, and i’m using it daily as my main OS for the past few weeks.

However, i’m having a some trouble with the Store. For instance, Firefox is shown as not installed (image), probably because the only options listed are from Snapcraft (i’m using the version that came pre-installed). And the default action for “.deb” file seems to be “Open with archive manager” and not the store (i can’t confirm that one but i don’t recall changing this config before).

My system is fully upgraded, including proposed updates.

Edit:

• The list of installed apps is empty: I think this was a temporary bug. Rebooted the system and now it shows everything but Firefox. MongoDB Compass, installed via .deb, also is not shown.

• Steam installer is shown with a generic icon. Not a big deal, but i almost missed it because of this.

1 Like

I am also on wayland.

I have the same issue, but was able to right click on the .deb file and choose application installer. Which open with Ubuntu Software.

1 Like

On my laptop HP 250 after updates from kernel 5.4.0-21 to 5.4.0-24 Ethernet RTL810xE stopped working. Wifi still works fine.
Ethernet is ok starting with old kernel 5.4.0-21 and also with mainline kernels 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7rc1
It’s also ok on Ubuntu 19.10
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1873512

I’m just highlighting this snapd issue which I am now seeing on every restart or shutdown…

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1873550

…very annoying. I initially thought that my PC was crashing on every restart or shutdown.

It took me a while to appreciate that my PC would eventually restart but only after waiting for a snap related process to complete after 1m 30s and that I needed to press ‘Escape’ in order to see the count up before the restart or shutdown continued. Otherwise I would just see a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner of my screen for what just seemed a very long time.

If anyone else is seeing this issue please add appropriate comments to the bug report or simply mark it as affecting you too,

I just realized that i cannot use “ubuntu-bug” to report bugs found in Snap-Store.
Using ubuntu-bug snap-store returns an error that snap-store was not found.
Using ubuntu-bug -w and then clicking in the snap-store windows returns the error: “The crashed program seems to use third-party or local libraries”.

That’s my main gripe with snaps: At least up til now they are completely alien to the rest of the unix userland. ubuntu-bug snap? man snap? info snap? No dice.

So my ThinkPad X1 Yoga’s tablet mode sorta works (installed libinput-tools), but there’s an issue where, after flipping to tablet mode, the sensors seems to have turned off. Cannot re-enable laptop mode.