Testing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS & official Ubuntu flavors

Hi everyone were about 3 months away from the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have a feeling this will be the best Ubuntu LTS release yet with Mr. @wimpress leading the development team. As a community we need to start testing now and find bugs so they can be addressed quickly and efficiently. So below I provided links to daily builds for Ubuntu and all the official Ubuntu flavors. Now make sure to run this on a spare laptop and not your daily driver machine as it is a daily build after all.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ā€˜Focal Fossaā€™ Release Schedule

How to be a Tester

Ubuntu ISO Testing Tracker

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Kubuntu 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Xubuntu 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Lubuntu 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS Daily Build

Ubuntu Kylin 20.04 LTS Daily Build

3 Likes

Now that Plasma 5.18 beta is out, will the beta release show up in the repos?

1 Like

Test out Kbuntu 20.04, will be testing out Xubuntu and Ubuntu in VM.

It is interesting that you are asking people to test the ā€œdevelopmentā€ releases. Few years ago, this place was brimming with testers. Now, only a trickle.

I can only tell you that I have few 20.04 installs, only they are not the ā€˜officialā€™ ones. Some have come a long way, from one development release to the next. I can only say that Ubuntu is doing well, even with my (franken, as few used to say) installs. Even, with this DE (3rd screeny).

Aha, youā€™ve forgotten Ubuntu-Kylin, which also is doing well with 20.04.

Where is the best ā€œhow to test Ubuntuā€ guide?

When will be release it?

End of April, this year.

Here is the release schedule on Ubuntu wiki

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ for testing ISOs (just click the relevant links and thereā€™s guides as you navigate the site)

Packages and hardware are meant to be tested also using QA trackers but donā€™t seem very updated, so some work would need to be done there to get those back up: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Roles/Tester

As the above page shows, probably the best way to get stuck in with testing is, if one can afford to do so, run Ubuntu 20.04 (either download here (this page looks nicer than I remember btw, nice work!) or upgrade from 19.10 with update-manager -d) as often as possible for usual tasks (bearing in mind that oneā€™s productivity and data may be hampered by bugs on 20.04!) and reporting bugs with ubuntu-bug and ubuntu-bug package-name as you go.

Alternatively, there is always a huge backlog of bugs that need to be triaged (i.e., progressed towards being fixed), head to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad for a guide on getting started with that!

1 Like

What happened to global menu for Firefox?

See bug report #1859123, intentionally dropped as the patch ā€œis becoming harder to maintain with every new firefox releaseā€.

1 Like

How much more that would become harder to maintainā€¦?

The patch uses internal APIs that used to be very stable over time, but a lot of refactoring has happened in firefox lately, and this isnā€™t true any longer. Almost every new version of firefox now requires non-trivial changes to the patch to keep it working. This time is better spent on fixing firefox packaging bugs and other desktop components.

1 Like

Installed Ubuntu 20.04 Daily Build today on a Gnome boxes VM. I was stuck on login loop until I choose Wayland. Default option keeps login loop. Also no sound.

Did you file appropriate bug reports?

Merely saying it here is not a useful bug report.

Not yet. You are right. Sorry.

Hello. I again have excessive use of RAM by gnome-shell.
I tried to report with ā€œubuntu-bug gnome-shellā€, but it doesnā€™t work, it doesnā€™t take me to the lauchpad page.
I donā€™t know if it can be useful but I used sysprof, maybe itā€™s useful (I hope so), but I donā€™t know how to attach it here.

Kernel 5.5 will be able to land before final release?

Probably not :confused: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/02/ubuntu-20-04-kernel-5-4-lts

I hope that Ubuntu devs will be able to fix the incompatibilities Iā€™m experiencing with my X1 Yoga.