System requirements

Ubuntu Core provides a minimalist base that can run on a wide range of hardware, from IoT devices and PC-style platforms to industrial computing.

Requirements are flexible, but they’re generally constrained by the following minimum values.

Architecture

Ubuntu Core supports various 64-bit architectures and 32-bit Arm.

• amd64 (Intel/AMD 64-bit)
  • arm64 (64-bit Arm)
  • armhf (32-bit Arm)
  • riscv64 (64-bit RISC-V)

For specific platforms, see our list of Ubuntu certified devices.

Pre-built testing images are also available for a range of devices. See Supported testing platforms for further details.

Get in touch to discuss more constrained or specific requirements.

Memory

Minimum RAM: 512MB

It’s far more likely that devices will include much more on-board RAM, which Ubuntu Core can take full advantage of.

Storage

Minimum storage: 1GB

Most storage devices are supported, including eMMC and SSD devices. One exception is NAND flash memory, which is not supported.

We also support custom hardware storage configuration, including hardware rate configuration, as described below.

This has never been supported by Ubuntu since it uses ARMv6 hardware which Ubuntu never ran on …

The “Hardware/CPU” column is also wrong for the 1st gen Pi, it uses ARM1176JZF-S, not Cortex-A72

Ah, great information - thank you! I’ll update the doc.

also note that the core-20-pi is a universal image, the armhf variant works on pi2,pi3,cm3 and pi4 equally well (arm64 only for pi3,cm3 and pi4)

Thanks for letting me know - I’ve updated the image links (I’ll update from pending to stable after the release).

1 Like

This should say riscv64 (updated it).