Supported testing platforms

These images are a great way to quickly get started with Ubuntu Core and to explore Ubuntu Core’s features and evaluate its potential. Canonical produces official images for the following platforms:

Platform / model name Hardware / CPU Cores / memory / storage Image links
Generic x86 / KVM
ubuntu-core-22
ubuntu-core-20
Full x86 32/64 bit
CPU virtualisation
as defined core-22-amd64
core-20-amd64
NUC
ubuntu-core-22-amd64
ubuntu-core-20-amd64
Intel Core i3, i5, i7 64-bit >8 cores | >32 GB RAM
no built-in storage
core-22-amd64
core-20-amd64
Raspberry Pi 2
ubuntu-core-22-pi
ubuntu-core-20-pi
Broadcom BCM2836
ARM Cortex-A7
4 cores | 1 GB RAM
no built-in storage
core-22-pi-armhf
core-20-pi-armhf
Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and Raspberry Pi 3
ubuntu-core-22-pi
ubuntu-core-20-pi
Broadcom BCM2837
ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit
4 cores | 0.5/1 GB RAM
no built-in storage
core-22-pi-armhf
core-22-pi-arm64
core-20-pi-armhf
core-20-pi-arm64
Raspberry Pi CM 3
ubuntu-core-22-pi
ubuntu-core-20-pi
Broadcom BCM2837
ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit
4 cores | 1 GB RAM
no built-in storage
core-22-pi-armhf
core-22-pi-arm64
core-20-pi-armhf
core-20-pi-arm64
Raspberry Pi 4
ubuntu-core-22-pi
ubuntu-core-20-pi
Broadcom BCM2711
Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit
4 cores | 1/2/4/8 GB RAM
no built-in storage
core-22-pi-armhf
core-22-pi-arm64
core-20-pi-armhf
core-20-pi-arm64

Ubuntu Core 22 (UC22) images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/22/stable/current/.

Ubuntu Core 20 (UC20) images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/20/stable/current/.

Ubuntu community members also work with, and produce, images for other platforms and CPUs. Refer to these individual projects for more information on what other unofficial images might work for your use cases.

2 Likes

Been reading. While the guides say that Ubuntu Core should run on a wide variety of platforms, I can’t see whether Ubuntu Core will run on - for instance - a Rock 4c+ or Rock 4SE. They’re running on a Rockchip RK3399. Generally they’re “equivalent” to a Pi4.

Any idea?

If you create your own kernel and gadget snaps from the boards BSP you’ll be able to also create an Ubuntu Core image sideloading these two…

1 Like

Thanks for the fast response - but oh dear - I understand what it is to create my own kernel…normally. And after that you’ve lost me. :astonished:

Is there a guide for dummies anywhere? I can do the work!

H

We don’t have an all-in-one guide to building an image with your own gadget and kernel snaps for a specific platform, but you should be able to piece it together with the following:

[1] Build a kernel snap
[2] Build a gadget snap
[3] Custom images

I do think having a single guide to cover the above for a single platform would be a good idea though. I’ll give it some thought.

3 Likes

I will certainly give it a go!

Thanks.

Do not Intel NUC and KVM options have UC22 images?

Yes, of course - thanks. I’ve updated the table. I’ve also created a task to re-think the structure on page because it has become difficult to understand.

I would simply remove all Dragonboard references here – while images exist, that platform is emphatically not supported anymore.

Ok, done - thanks for your help.

Remove “Intel” label from NUC.

1 Like

Hello, the Raspberry Pi Zero 2W has 512MB of memory

1 Like

Hello - thanks for the correction!

1 Like