Propose new appliance: Homeassistant

I would like to see Homeassistant become an appliance.

2 Likes

The HA developers currently seem enamored of the Docker path. However their concept of deployment does seem closer to what Snaps and Appliance can offer.

I’ve been using HA for a couple years. I’m experimenting with the “home-assistant-snap” snap right now.

Looks like at least four different folks have Snappified it since 2018, so there seems a bit of interest.

3 Likes

What could be a good way for us, as users, to promote this appliance? To be honest, I’m also interested in this appliance, but I do not know how I can contribute.

1 Like

Hopes folks are still interested

So, you can contribute here in a few ways, though each way depends on the last;

• Ideally we’d have the upstream take notice and take over maintenance. So, one way to contribute would be to bring their attention to it and see if they’re interested in taking over the appliance once its built or even helping test it.

• We’d need a snap tested and working on whatever architectures we want the appliance to work on. So tested on arm64 (Raspberry Pi 4) and amd64. You could certainly help with that if the snap is done?

• From there I’d get Canonical folks to build and do some more testing on an appliance image proper. That could then do with as much testing as possible so we could get that to you to play around with

• Finally the best kind of promotion for these things is blog posts and tutorials by people who actually use and appreciate the application (like you) so just talking about it would be good.

1 Like