Patch Pilot Hand-off 23.10

Hello, fellow Patch Pilots and Ubuntu community members,

This post serves as the official hand-off for the Patch Pilot Program for the 23.10 cycle. The purpose of this thread is to ensure continuity in our program, keeping operations smooth and contributors supported. Whether you’ve just wrapped up a piloting session or are gearing up for your session, this space ensures that no detail gets lost in the shuffle. If you are interested in what is going on, you can subscribe to this post.

:warning: Please reserve responses in this thread ONLY to hand-off reports. If you have a question as a contributor please check with the current patch pilot. If you need a clarification from the last pilot please reach out to them separately. If you have a more general question please create a new topic in this category.

To the incoming pilot: please take a moment to review the updates from the previous session. It provides the context you’ll need to pick up where they left off. When writing your own report, please include the following headlines:

• Notable Achievements
  • Important Context
  • Notable Contributors (tag them if you know their discourse username)
  • Program Improvements (anything that you think needs documenting or otherwise improving)

This cycle has completed. Please head over here for the 24.04 cycle.

3 Likes

August 14, 2023 - Ken VanDine

Notable Achievements:

• Weeded through open bugs with patches attached and closed very old reports which I felt comfortable closing

Important Context:
The sponsoring queue is in great shape right now, so I thought it would be useful to reduce the bugs with patches list, many of which were from Jaunty through Saucy. I only made a small dent it in.

2 Likes

August 15, 2023 - Lukas Märdian

Notable Achievements

Important Context

• No questions asked on IRC
  • Setting the status of rsyslog merge to “Incomplete”, as there are autopkgtest failures to be resolved, https://pad.lv/2028935

Notable Contributors (tag them if you know their discourse username)

Program Improvements (anything that you think needs documenting or otherwise improving)

2 Likes

August 15, 2023 - Lena Voytek

Notable Achievements:

• Looked through sponsorship queue, no updates are needed currently though

Important Context:

2 Likes

Sadly, not much achieved this shift, as I’ve been interrupted several times for time-sensitive things (due to Feature Freeze tomorrow). The sponsorship queue is still in fairly good shape, with only a single actionable at the time of writing.

2 Likes

August 17, 2023 - Lucas Kanashiro

Notable Achievements

Important Context

2 Likes

2023-08-21

On my shift yesterday:

• The only request from not-Canonical was for dracut. I was unsure how to handle the request for a delta in this package, and consulted @bdrung who explained and kindly agreed to handle that in his next upload.

• I then decided to spend some time looking at process. I wrote up Improving the git-ubuntu based sponsorship workflow and made a minor tweak to the sponsorship bot.

1 Like
  • Notable Achievements

• LP: 2032674 - verify, but found @xnox had uploaded already - as we get faster, coordinating work will become more important to reduce redundancy
    • LP: 1990856 - verify and upload
  • Also started reviewing docs for potential improvements, started with https://github.com/canonical/ubuntu-maintainers-handbook/blob/main/Concepts.md but no concrete suggestions yet.

• Program Improvements

• documentation improvements would be a good use of pilot time, but that’s going to be hard to move forward in a structured way in ~4 hrs every 3 weeks. As the queue is functionally empty right now, we need a plan.
1 Like

Hi, that bug report & patch was result of multiday interactive debugging of the issues we were seeing between zfs dkms & v6.5 unstable kernel builds. And since @arighi doesn’t have upload rights for that package he filed bug report for me to sponsor. Which i did in under an hour between meetings.

Given the window was so short, I am surprised this bubbled up on your patch-pilot queue. Is our patch-pilot queue really empty that something so recent and under a couple of hours long raised your attention? What could have @arighi or myself have done to indicate that said bug report & deb-diff do not require a patch-pilot or sponsor, since that was in progress anyway?

The sponsor process does suggest using an “in progress” state + self-assignment, and that would have been a clue that something was going on. It was unassigned when I started looking at it - and I agree, if I were in your position I would not have assumed it would have made it to the sponsor queue in that timespan.

Yes, the general queue was down to 1-2 items as of yesterday!

I flagged this as off-topic - it’s an important question but given the instructions in the original post, could we move it to a separate topic, please?

It looks like the Foundations bot auto-subscribed ~ubuntu-sponsors to it because a debdiff was attached. Perhaps a tag to stop it doing that, if that doesn’t exist already? For git-ubuntu based MPs, I don’t automatically add ~ubuntu-sponsors if a different reviewer is already nominated.

Notable Achievements

1 Like

Notable achievements

• openssh MP: approved and uploaded. Also provided guidance on how to write a Test Plan for it.
  • hyperkitty MP: approved and uploaded.
  • vim MP: MP LGTM, but the bug reference is missing from the changelog entry. Requested this change to Danilo, who addressed the request. Approved and uploaded.
  • factory boy: approved and uploaded.
  • rust-cargo-mutants MP: left a comment request a minor change to the changelog entry. Comment addressed, package uploaded.
  • djangorestframework-filters MP: approved and uploaded.
  • django-tables MP: approved and uploaded.
  • django-cachalot MP: left a question to make sure that the package will indeed work with Django 4.0.
  • geoclue-2.0 bug: asked Georgia to provide a debdiff or an MP for the proposed change.

Important Context

Lots of sponsoring some; still some on the queue. No questions on IRC.

1 Like

Notable achievements

Important context

There were only 2 requests in our queue. One was mentioned above, and the other was a work in progress.

There was no activity in IRC.

1 Like

Notable achievements

I used git-ubuntu prepare-upload args to sponsor the merges, so history should be preserved in the target branch!

1 Like

Notable achievements

• rsyslog was handled in the past, discussed and unsubscribed sponsors.
  • openssh SRU which was not yet ready, reviewed, tested and recommended several changes
  • octavia-dashboard I was unclear if this would not need more to be ready and asked on the bug what I’d want. But then this was auto-subscribed and might not yet have meant to be ready.

Important context

There was no activity in IRC.

I ran a bit short due to unplanned meetings, but there wasn’t much more in the queue either (two more MPs of my team for which I can withstand the stares for not having them sponsored).

1 Like

2023-09-05 - Lukas Märdian

Notable Achievements

Important Context

• octavia-dashboard, unsubscribed ~ubuntu-sponsors with a comment (not yet ready for sponsorship)
  • One IRC question about clamav packaging, got answered by @ahasenack while I was stuck in a meeting (thanks!)

My session was a bit interrupted by wrapping up some last-minute stuff, before being off for an extended leave.

1 Like

2023-09-05 - Lena Voytek

Notable Achievements

• Looked over patches for r-cran-flextable, dipy, and pyfai. They all look fine to me. I don’t have upload permissions for any of them though so they’re still available for the next patch pilot.

Important Context

• No questions on IRC
1 Like

Notable Achievements

1 Like

Notable Achievements

Important Context

I left the linux kernel related items untouched in the queue for the kernel team to take them.

1 Like