New Desktop Installer Preview Build

Hi. Just my two cents.

I would really love to test the new installer but the disk image is over 4 Gs and I don’t think that’s acceptable. I don’t have a larger USB stick at the moment and I think I’m not in the minority when I say that nobody would want to use their main drives just to install an OS. It’s not common to have an 8 and 16 GB USB flash drive lying around. Imagine if I had two of them: one 4 G, the other 8 G with some data on it. That means I would have to back it up and format it just because the image was a bit over 4 G? Utter nonsense.

< 4 Gs is the perfect size just for this purpose.

The canary ISO Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211108) is just 3.7 GB, I used a 4GB stick to install. More: if you try the install in virtual box you can try directly from the ISO downloaded on your disk.

1 Like

I need a fresh Ubuntu install for a test; and decide to use it to perform a QA-test.

Today’s ISO QA tracker doesn’t allow entry doesn’t allow me to enter details there?

Previously I’ve provided details in this thread (alas I’m usually not brief so better hidden away on iso.qa)

Is this normal? expected? Why can’t i record test on iso.qa?

Reporting: No testcase available

(errors in cloud-init [going by /var/crash/] had me login & report issue, but on logging into lp I only get “Bad bot, go away! Request aborted.” message)

Install attempt (full disk) failed on

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)

and multiple attempts (clean boot each time) failed to install on

• sony vaio svp112a1cw (i5-9400u, 4gb, intel haswell-ULT)

Today’s ISO QA tracker doesn’t allow entry doesn’t allow me to enter details there?

Thanks for pointing that you, we will get it fixed

Install in virtualbox from canary ISO Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211108)
ubuntu-desktop-installer latest/edge: 0+git.a71b808 2021-11-05 (145) 117MB classic

Screen Updates and other software:
can select Normal or Minimal install but ‘Other options’ is missing, no choice for ‘Download updates while install’ and ‘Install third-party software’

screen Installation complete:
does not offer the option ‘continue testing’

log and screenshot here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yI7l9Z_48FyEC5vepcUhWkp7Dskkewy4?usp=sharing

1 Like

Same ISO I used last time (yesterday’s), but this time on virtualbox VM (hp 8200 & 20.04 host OS) did install.

Only issue noticed was I’d not setup screen resolution on the VM so it was small (800x600 maybe; end-user mistake) and the installers window was too large so I couldn’t progress forward until I corrected screen resolution.

Maybe a pop-up balloon mentioning screen resolution issue maybe helpful for some users? with link maybe to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements which states 1024x768)

2 Likes

That’s because the subiquity backend is currently missing, there is a ticket about it there

The ‘continue testing’ isn’t in the design but feel free to reopen an issue if you think it should. It’s easy to ignore the dialog and keep using the session though

1 Like

Attempted canary build install (2021-11-14) on

• sony vaio svp112a1cw (i5-9400u, 4gb, intel haswell-ULT)

fails again.

• iso.qa.ubuntu.com still has no testcase
  • ubuntu-bug still fails to load firefox
  • manually starting firefox still gets bad bot

I ran out of time so didn’t file bug report, but I’m betting it was same issue I’d already reported (so nothing lost).

Thanks for pointing that out, I’ve added a few now copied from ubiquity, the description needs an update so don’t try to strictly stick to it for now but at least it gives a place where to record the testing results

2 Likes

Installing in Virtual box directly from the ISO
I agree. That is the method I use when QA Testing new Ubuntu.
When I flash a USB I use Etcher. It checks the check-sums for a correct flash.
Etcher works on all OS’s.
Thanks for your post.

Instead of downloading the canary ISO I can install ubuntu-desktop-installer on a partition with Jammy, is that okay too?
Edit: so i may use the installer to install on a different partition of same PC.
Thanks.
Edit: installed … started: after 1St screen the screen ‘Keyboard layout’ is empty and does not allow to select the keyboard. … abandoned.

1 Like

Installed from canary ISO: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS “Jammy Jellyfish” - Alpha amd64 (20211126)
with ubuntu-desktop-installer 191
manual partition on a preformatted partition
INSTALL SUCCESFUL also if at end install I see an error message…
Screenshots and logs here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eW_2CsPwpzd0U1wGYYS4_FNrotxatzEc?usp=sharing

1 Like

The resolution issue I mentioned in #38 has been filed under https://bugs.launchpad.net/subiquity/+bug/1952509

On a question from @kbar, it was re-run, re-occurred & thus filing (on lp for filing on ISO tracker)

1 Like

Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy
Ubuntu amd_64 QA Test on new daily build: 2021127.
Bug 1952515 critical.
Gnome-Shell Crashed
Invalid core dump /tmp/apport_core.k657r8ti is truncated.
Manually started apport in terminal.
Bug 1952515
Unable to reproduce bug. Tested 3 times total, 1failed; 2passed.
Bug report invalid.

QA Testing AMD_64 Desktop: Daily Build/ 20211127
3 Tests on Live: 1 fail - 2 pass.
1 Test on Install w/ ZFS: pass.
1 Test on Install Entire Disk: pass.
1 Test on Install LVM & Encryption: pass.
1 Test on Install Manual Partition: pass.
Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy is looking good for AMD Desktop.

Another daily QA-test install (jammy canary) on

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)

My notes can be found here where the install worked :slight_smile: however I needed to run the installer twice to achieve install.

First time it disappeared (window closed) with no traces found, no errors in /var/crash/ or nothing that provided me with clues in dmesg. (after looking for clues but not finding any; ie. delay) I re-started the installer hoping for clues, and it started again (at first language selection screen) & completed this time.

I did note (in my comments) the first time the installer window didn’t have viewable borders; but this test box can have issues with GNOME/KDE with graphics (nouveau) so I was ignoring that as unrelated to the installer (in my opinion). On the second start (first session) that issue wasn’t apparent; but I don’t believe that’s anything useful.

Repeated install later in day… same graphic glitches occur, and they appear in screenshots…

On install; I got to see the slideshow start this time before the installer window closed without message… so the issue was filed & added to both attempts (this second session was recorded as fail)

Though second session was marked as failure (on iso.qa.ubu), it may have succeeded (window closed without message) as I didn’t see the commands (df -h etc in CLI history`) when I rebooted which possibly means the install completed (overwriting prior install) despite install window having closed as box was left running for some time as I entered details into launchpad…

On booting install I noted

• timezone is set to UTC, not my AEST (DST),
  • language set to US (mm/dd/yy not local dd/mm/yy)
1 Like

Hi everyone from the Ubuntu community and team, I’ve tried the new installer several times on VM, the first iso that came out and the latest version and I want to say what I think, to sum up what I think, I think the best installer currently is the one of Pop!_os, if this installer looks like it will be great.

I’ll tell you the problems I found in the interface, I want to help because it needs to have a nice and friendly design for new users:

1 - I thought the letters were very small and not centered, as “Welcome” should be bigger and be in the center.

2- the window is very large, at low vm resolutions it is very difficult to configure because the window is cut off.
3- it would be good to add animated illustrations in the installation to make it more user-friendly like in Windows 11 and Pop!_os
4- Being able to hide the installation code lines like in Pop!_os
5- “Access to everyone” can be prettier and better show the new features of the system, although a guided presentation of the system in the beginning of use after installation is essential.
6- Lack of rounded edges, I have it because it’s just beta and it was in vm but I hope they fix it in the final version.
7- “who are you?” it has to come after the installation if possible, because then ubuntu already installed would be perfect for the pc that will soon be sold to a new user.

About the (3) “it would be good to add animated illustrations in the installation to make it more user-friendly like in Windows 11 and Pop!_os”

About the (4) Being able to hide the installation code lines like in Pop!_os