Nautilus 3.30 - status

Everybody stay on topic. The topic is the Status of Nautilus 3.30, not alternatives nor customizing nor other non-germane opinions.

Please open separate threads for those flights of fancy.

7 Likes

@khurshid-alam I also would prefer to see zeitgeist support dropped from Nautilus. I don’t think that we should continue to carry zeitgeist in Ubuntu main any more, but nautilus is the blocker for demoting zeitgeist to universe.

totem also has a zeitgeist plugin (used by Unity I believe), but that plugin can be easily moved to totem-plugins-extra or a separate package. If we want to make it a separate package, now is a great time to decide on that since Debian won’t allow any new packages into Debian 10 “Buster” after early February.

2 Likes

@chanath Respectfully, that’s off-topic for this topic.

1 Like

I have Nautilus 3.30.4 installed from proposed on Ubuntu Disco 19.04

1. should I see home folder and trash on my desktop as in 1st post of this site?
  2. in my Home window I see ‘examples.desktop’ but if i click on it i see the content just as text.

Hello!

I don’t like the idea of extension. I prefer to change the file manager, but Nemo, Caja and elementary Files looks outdated.

I can create a fork of Nautilus and return in it desktop icons. I already came up with the name, but I now will not say. This is a secret. :wink:

Just do it, name doesn’t matter…

1 Like

Get Nautilus 3.26, convert it to snap with icons on desktop and I will use it

Actually maybe someone can fork Nemo’s desktop abilty and bring it as standalone (without the app itself, just the nemo-desktop command)

nautilus arrived today on Disco with icons on the desktop.
.desktop files must be authorized to run, .jpg and .png images appear as miniature and can be open, .ods open correctly but .txt files does not open.Screenshot from 2019-01-12 13-14-12

̶I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶s̶?̶

Ran update and I have it, testing out Desktop icons.

Don’t see some of that at all.
Fresh install today’s image
nautilus 3.30.4-stable is new default
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons is installed and enabled
. application desktop files on the Desktop can be executed, no where else though
.tx files located anywhere open fine

It is like the desktop as a file in a folder, the folder being the home folder, in this case Ubuntu. You cannot uninstall the home folder from the desktop.

You can’t pull any .desktop file to the desktop, it just runs back. Same with a image, just runs back to the Picture folder, from which I tried to pull it to the desktop. Neither a .txt file. Everything runs back.

There aren’t any icons shown for .desktop files.

You can drag or copy & paste an image to the Desktop folder, which in turn appears on the desktop, but you cannot drag it from the desktop to any place. it runs back.

You can drag the New Folder you created on the desktop to you Home folder (Ubuntu here), but you can’t drag it back to the desktop. It runs back. It is same with any .txt file or anything else. It just runs back.

These are first observations. I’m sure it’d get better in the near future.

Yes, drag and drop isn’t supported.

Well then, that’s suicidal!

Drag & drop had been there since 1970 starting at the first Macintosh Project for Apple, and it is the cornerstone of using computers.

Complain to Gnome about it.

Not here. Stay on topic.

Changing Settings-Dock-Icon size some/all desktop icons disappear. they reappear creating a new folder on desktop

There is a new extension, that allow management of the desktop icons.

All the desktop-icons-extension behaviors that look like bugs for you should be reported to the project itself. Complaining here does not help you in the first place.

Quote from the OP,

The basic reason that this update is worthy of a thread is that in 3.28 Nautilus removed support for handling the desktop. In the Ubuntu team we decided that we really wanted to keep that feature, so we stayed on the last version of Nautilus before it got removed, while we figured out what to do. At the same time, Carlos Soriano (with others) was developing a GNOME Shell extension to provide desktop support. This is now getting close to being ready for use, so we decided to press ahead with updating to the current Nautilus and provide the extension.

So, what do you think? Should we give feedback here, or go look for the guys, who might be creating this extension?

If you want any feature or bug fixing on the new extensions, I believe you should reach Soriano and the team behind that extension first. Here you can find other people willing to help for sure.