I promised that I’d create a thread when there was some work on Nautilus 3.30 to share. Here we go.
The basic reason that this update is worthy of a thread is that in 3.28 Nautilus removed support for handling the desktop. In the Ubuntu team we decided that we really wanted to keep that feature, so we stayed on the last version of Nautilus before it got removed, while we figured out what to do. At the same time, Carlos Soriano (with others) was developing a GNOME Shell extension to provide desktop support. This is now getting close to being ready for use, so we decided to press ahead with updating to the current Nautilus and provide the extension.
Once all of the pending builds are finished, you will be able to get all of that work from this PPA, which is available for disco only.
It should look something like:
Feel free to try it out and see what you think. You’ll note also that this version depends on tracker - this is no longer going to be optional.
Now, for the issues and questions. They relate to the Ubuntu patches we had in Nautilus. It’s going to be easiest if I just paste the changelog and tag @khurshid-alam / @3v1n0 here:
* Dropped patches:
Both double-reverts happened on the 3.26 branch - master/3.30 still has
- 06_never_exec_nonexec_launchers.patch: We don't exec desktop files any
more - that is moved to the desktop-icons extension (which already has
- zg_activity_logging.patch: Zeitgeist is barely used, we should just drop
- 0015-tracker-search-engine-don-t-start-it-if-not-availabl.patch: We're
depending on tracker now, no need to handle it not being there.
- 0017-recent-add-function-to-update-manager-on-file-rename.patch: The
recent manager is gone now.
- 0018-search-engine-add-locate-based-search-engine.patch: Now we are going
to use the tracker based one.
* Patches dropped but potentially needing updating:
- 19_unity_open_location_xid.patch: needs rebasing
- ubuntu_revert_no_wallpaper.patch: have compiz do it?
- ubuntu_sync_background_to_accountsservice.patch: ditto? this might be
code that needs writing
I know that @khurshid-alam has done some work on updating some of the Unity patches already - I’m looking forward to merging that. Both of you, please could you check that what I said is right and maybe help correct / restore patches if any need keeping? And also check my rebases didn’t break anything. I’m not sure what the state of the Compiz background support is, but hopefully it’s good because I don’t want to hold off on this more than is necessary - early testing would be a good thing here.
We do still have two MIRs outstanding that mean this can’t be uploaded just yet.
The code & packaging for the update is in the usual git repository, wip/ubuntu/3.30 branch.