Nautilus 3.30 - status

@c-lobrano
This is Ubuntu 19.04 and Nautilus 3.30.4-stable coming with Ubuntu.

Everything in Ubuntu is done by the Ubuntu team, not by Soriano, I suppose. Whatever feedback is needed for the OP, I believe. Do you think otherwise?

It depends on what you mean for “everything”. The extension is not maintained by the Ubuntu team

Are you talking about “the extension,” or what OP is saying? I am not talking about the extension. Only on what’s coming with the the daily – what is default atm.

Atm, the default is not giving what we were used to all the time with Ubuntu, and what the Ubuntu team is trying give. Which extension is used for that is not the question, but what’s produced by Ubuntu for Ubuntu.

The extension is a regular gnome shell extension with currently no modifications by Ubuntu or canonical
Also, some kind of thankfull touch could be applied to a feedback for an extension that had been created to serve only one half of a user base.
Personally I don’t use desktop icons at all… Since… I don’t know… Ever? Only because you use your desktop it doesn’t mean that everyone else is.

It’s free software after all, so get some respect for the contributors

1 Like

who / what is OP?
I have some problem with desktop-icons; the 1st one is:
Changing Dock Icon size (Settings-Dock-Icon size) the icons on desktop disappear, they reappear creating a file in /Home/Desktop
should i open a bug or ask a question on this page?

thanks

1 Like

Probably the original poster (=OP of this thread). I guess that he means @laney.

While it is true that @laney and @didrocks pushed some patches upstream (thus there is indeed some contribution from Ubuntu), the project has been started and is still maintained by the Nautilus maintainer Carlos Soriano. And the next active member is Sergio Costas who isn’t from the Ubuntu camp either. You can easily see that those two contributed about 90% of the desktop icons extension code --> https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/ShellExtensions/desktop-icons/commits/master

I don’t think that @laney wanted to give the impression that this was an Ubuntu project or even his personal project.

How do you know that?

Sure! You don’t use drag & drop too?

Testing Nautilus 3.30.4 on Ubuntu 19.04 is what is needed, or supposed to be needed…in this thread. If you are using Ubuntu 19.04 daily, you must come across the lack of drag and drop. Or, you must be using a different distro/DE.

I know it from the internetz

If you have bugs to report report it on the gitlab page of the extension.

1 Like

Didn’t see the other day but see now, application type .desktop files on the Desktop can be executed after setting “Allow Launching” context menu item. Doing so writes something to the .local/share//gvfs-metadata/home binary file…
Only allows this for files on the Desktop, nowhere else.

If Ubuntu changes something then the package name will end in ubuntuX.

As far as DnD on the Desktop
There is DnD in the extension so one can DnD a file on the Desktop into a folder on the Desktop.
As far as DnD from nautilus to the Desktop that doesn’t work though DnD to the sidebar works as does copy or cut & paste.
So no real loss of function.

The context menu is a bit neutered & open in terminal is a non…

Nautilus 3.30.4 on 19.04 doesn’t show images well, they are blurred and large, even if they are quite small.

But, looked in from a different distro, they look quite all right.

Real size

Either, Nautilus 3.30.4 can’t render the images correctly, or the Yaru icons don’t get rendered well. @c-lobrano, @didrocks

Is it a different distro only or also Nautilus version is different?

I believe the difference is not the rendering, but that the icons are just zoomed in the first picture

Just have a look in /usr/share/icons/Yaru/16x16/places folder in Nautilus 3.30.4 in Ubuntu 19.04, and you’d see for yourself. or 24x24, 32x32

Better use svg images, rather than png ones. They are clear and crispy. Nautilus can’t show the exact sizes as images, though. Every icon is shown as same size, but each one is of different sizes,

svg images

Real size

(Actually, this post should go there. )

Nautilus now displays everything at whatever the zoom setting is, default is the lowest setting of 50%
(- 50% of something ,not what’s being viewed.

So at least here that, (50%) seems to equate to about 64px . If you view any image in nautilus like icons at or bigger than 64px are sharp, lower get fuzzy depending on how much lower.

It seems nautilus (Gnome) offers 3 zoom levels that equate to 64, 128 and 256px. Why such a large size bias no idea, maybe they fancy themselves as a possible mobile env.

I think you misunderstood this situation. Those are file previews not icons. Nautilus must display that precise file, it cannot go for the filesystem to look for a better quality image

Of course, they are file previews, and that’s why the post is here, not on the other thread, even though it involves the Yaru icons, which I looked in to.

Regarding Yaru icons, I had converted all the icons in the 256x256 folder in the folders places and status to svg and resized them to other sizes, 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 and @2x. Now, I can see how they look in those folders, without the fuzziness. When, I’d have some more free time, I’d convert the rest of the icons in other folders too.

Btw, the Yaru icons concern Nautilus 3.30.4 and vice versa as both are going to be default in the upcoming Ubuntu 19.04, so having the icons in svg format is much better.

(Also btw, I never cared too much for icons, how they looked and so on, for all they do is to give something to click on to open the app I wanted, nothing else. So, the old Humanity icons were quite all right. So, I went ahead getting myself a express study on how icons are made and how they work, etc.)

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

@c-lobrano
If you look at the first image in the #71 in this thread, you’d notice that the orange icons have different names, but they are the same. They should have a small whitish sign inside them to distinguish them, don’t you think so? Or, they are not needed in that folder, except the solitary folder.png? This is same in folders 32x32, 24x24 and the relevant @2x.

You don’t need to. Yaru project has folder icons in svg already

Is there any use case where folder icons are blurry when used as icons?

I do that for myself, and maybe for others. And, it is not Yaru project, once I converted the png icons to svg format. For the moment named Yaru1, but would change. I am also looking at Suru icons, as most icons are not that consistent with the “squircle” idea. Btw, the “squircle” idea is not just a Suru/Yaru idea, others also have them.

yaru1 places

This is not relative any more, as all icons in all folders places and status are now in svg format and in the correct size and correct icons, not the copy of same folder icon in different named icons.

I am also thinking of these colours too.

Maru-colours
Easy for my eyes, and ugly borders are not around.

Why don’t you join some theming IRC channel instead of posting your personal theming progress into all these different threads?

There are also some Google+ theming communities where you can post pictures and talk about the progress you did with your tweaking and so on.

Thanks for the invitation.
Only in 2 threads, one relevant to icons, and this one relevant to Nautilus 3.30, and only on interconnected matters.

My interest on how to on icons started, just 7 days ago. And, lot of learning for an older guy :slight_smile: instead of gaping at the TV. The thing is, I don’t like the orange colour, so I’d be looking at other eye-friendly colours for the icons. The other colours are out of the interest of the Yaru team, anyway. Hope, you guys would succeed!