Monday 26th November 2018

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: https://community.ubuntu.com/t/monday-19th-november-2018/8701
Next week’s notes are here: Monday 3rd December 2018

1 Like

rls-bugs:

• NetworkManager IPv6 DAD lifetime behavior introduce security risk: I asked to upstream to release new version of nm 1.12
  • gnome session: Must ask twice to lock the screen: Fix committed upstream, I need to release it for disco and SRU it to cosmic and bionic
  • [SRU][regression] mozjs60 crashes with SIGSEGV on gnome-shell exit, in GetPropertyOperation() from Interpret() from js::RunScript(): @laney is taking care of SRUing gjs and mutter to cosmic

:white_check_mark: Merged/Uploaded
:eyeglasses: Under review
:love_letter: Waiting for review
:x: Rejected

3 Likes

No change on release bugs from last week.

• Tested and uploaded the fontconfig SRU
  • Build snap
    • Added more parts including: cogl, clutter, clutter-gtk and updated some existing parts
    • Fixed some more build issues
  • Switched tracker & tracker-miners to build with meson. tracker-miners doesn’t have as many meson options as it did for autotools. Previously, we were able to build-depend on universe libraries and disable the universe features in debian/rules. So for now, I’ve gone back to disabling the Build-Depends. It would be nice to add the options we need to the meson options so that we could sync tracker-miners from Debian again.
  • Poked at LP: #1740637 Maybe Seb can make a decision here on whether to go forward with removing python-appindicator and gir1.2-appindicator-0.1
  • Helped with package transitions
  • Spent time trying to fix up Debian’s ndctl package so that it could be used by a new libblockdev plugin (in Debian NEW queue).
  • Lots more work cleaning up libgnome and rarian reverse dependencies. There are only a handful left. I’ll post a Debian list soon.
  • Uploaded recent librsvg to Debian Unstable (& Disco), making some people upset with the impact on unofficial Debian architectures. I worked on a proposed solution but I need a ports person to prepare the initial upload for it. The librsvg packaging work was mostly done by Tim Lunn & Simon McVittie. I just did the part that involved upsetting people and trying to make those people less upset.

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance (stutter | latency | CPU):

:bug: Bug management:

• :pick: Backlogs progress:
    • :chart_with_downwards_trend: Good news (falling backlogs): firefox, thunderbird
    • :chart_with_upwards_trend: Bad news (consistently growing backlogs): ubiquity
2 Likes

Installer work with Jean-Baptiste:

Nothing pending on me rls-bug-wide side.

1 Like
1 Like

My week:

• cups-filters: Released version 1.24.4, mainly to prevent cupsd taking all CPU when cups-browsed is hammering on it, by correcting cups-browsed’s way to handle timeouts. Fixes in pdftopdf and the PPD generator for driverless printing to avoid duplicate application of multiple copies options by both the filter and the printer. Code updates to build with newest versions of Poppler.
  • cups-filters: Further code fix to make it build with Poppler 0.71.0.
  • cups-filters: Tests for correct multiple-copy printing.
  • OpenPrinting web site: Continued coordination of web site renovation.
  • Bugs.

Mutter

• Various fixes on wayland fractional scale resource-scale branch
    • Rebased on current master (upstream would like to merge this in the cycle)
    • Fixed scaling on nested views
    • Fixed a blurriness on offscreen textures when using fractional scaling
  • Xrandr scaling:
    • Changed the way we compute supported scaling values in X11, so that it works even before changing an output scaling, and in the way we can share the main code between X11 and wayland
    • Various refactoring neeeded to support native output scaling
    • Added settings for supporting fractional scaling in X
    • Done the actual scaling using only pure xrandr

GNOME Shell

GNOME Misc

1 Like

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 70.0.3538.110
  • finally resolved snap build failures on !amd64 (worked around a bug in snapcraft 2.x)
  • promoted core18-based snap to the stable channel
  • updated beta to 71.0.3578.62
  • updated dev to 72.0.3610.2
  • updated chromium-ffmpeg snap for chromium 70 support and updated documentation
  • ported core18 changes to beta and dev branches of the snap, and updated to the latest versions

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• pushed 1:6.1.3-0ubuntu6 to disco with two patches to fix build issues caused by the new poppler version, but some unit tests are failing
  • rebuilt libreoffice snap against core18, tested on all supported Ubuntu releases, Debian testing and Fedora 28, published to the candidate channel and issued a call for testing

snapcraft24 snaps

• looked into snapcraft desktop helpers issue #167 (HOME bookmark in file open/save dialogs)

:bug: rls-bb-tracking bugs

• bug #1754671 in network-manager: prepared a test PPA with 1.10.14 for bionic, need to discuss with the team whether it is desirable/safe to SRU an entirely new version
  • bug #1795169 in firefox: fixed in gnome-shell 3.31.2, need backporting
  • bug #1799230 in libreoffice: sat for too long in unapproved queue, and now it’s failing to build in bionic-proposed, need to figure out why
  • bug #1802208 in libreoffice: no progress since last week

:bug: rls-cc-tracking bugs

Disco updates

• updates: hwdata
  • reported a cherry pick request for systemd (hwdb/LG)
  • updated mozc to not recommends the -gui binary but only suggest it, allowing to demote an extra toolkit!
  • updated poppler to the current 0.71.0 version, look at bit at the rdepends for the transition

SRUs

• sponsored u-s-d/hwdata fix for “LG” screens being wrongly labelled from Darius (xenial/bionic/cosmic)
  • some SRU verfications (desktop-file-utils/bionic, totem/bionic, gedit/bionic, gnome-initial-setup/bionic)
  • followed up on buggy gvfs sru (missing one change)
  • backported usbmuxd udev fixes and SRUed to bionic (fixes iphone not being handled when plugged a second time)
  • backported a libgnomekbd bugzilla fix for a segfault issue in the keyboard layout preview code, SRUed to cosmic/bionic
  • SRUed a poppler segfault fix to cosmic & bionic

Other

• some tweaks to the versions page
  • opened wishlist but to get snd power saving enabled in the kernel
  • wrote MIRs reports for the new texlive-bin disco depends
  • discussed bolt vs auto-auth-of-new-devices-for-admins
  • helped to upstream a plymouth segfault issue and provided debug info

No rls bugs

1 Like

Installer work with @didrocks . Cf this report

1 Like

snapd/ gnome-shell search providers

• Continued working on implementing D-Bus service activation for snap services.
  • PR #5822 (systemd user unit support) is passing with against head. I ended up needing to disable the new spread tests on CentOS 7, since the method I was using to start the user systemd doesn’t work with the old version shipped with that release.