Monday 22nd October 2018

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of the Community Hub (this site).
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Monday 15th October 2018
Next week’s notes are here: Monday 29th October 2018

4 Likes
  • GDM:

• Lots of debugging for GDM issue causing not starting in fast boots (but slow drivers). Pushed a fix.
    • Filled systemd issue to discuss more about CanGraphical management
    • Systemd logind pull request not to advertize fb devices with a drm device as master-of-seat devices (i.e. enough to have a graphical sesssion) + various researches on drivers for this.
    • Discussion in how to proceed in getting this fixed upstream
  • SRU

• Done missing SRU verifications for light-themes
    • Fixed nautilus SRU adding missing bug reference for a memory leak fix
  • gnome-session:

• FIxed migration script not running in wayland sessions [mp]
  • gnome-shell:

• Debugging various e.u.c crashes (especially #1796606, preparing gjs change + g-s fix)
  • Reviews:

3 Likes
2 Likes

:computer_mouse: Gnome Shell performance:

:bug: Bug management:

• :chart_with_upwards_trend: Backlogs progress :chart_with_downwards_trend: :
    • The release of 18.10 saw some tiny upticks in bug backlogs, but nothing significant.
    • Firefox continues to fall dramatically (thanks to Paul White?).
    • Xorg continues its slow decline (just cleaning out old bugs, but the valid ones move to xorg-server which is growing).
6 Likes
  • Cosmic Cuttlefish release: Testing, community testing coordination (close to 1400 results reported by the community for this release. Thanks to all the testers), bug reporting and troubleshooting, …
  • Post-release bug triaging.
  • Maintenance of manual test cases on the tracker.
2 Likes
  • 4 day week
  • Was at the release sprint in the London office - there I participated in …
    • Last minute work on ubiquity / installer / release bug fixes
    • Reviewing / accepting / rejecting uploads
    • Helping with ISO testing and debugging resulting issues
    • Pressing buttons related to making the release happen, which it did
  • Looked at fixing a ubiquity crash. Waiting for a second opinion now.
  • Some more discussions about gdm / mutter startup races and how best to solve them
  • Some internal admin
  • 3 day week
  • Worked on desktop snap startup slowness on cosmic
    • Fixed by backporting fontconfig from cosmic to the snap backports PPA and building the GNOME platform snap with it.
  • Worked on 18.10 Hyper-V desktop image
  • travelled to London, joined release sprint for 2 days
  • ISO testing
  • debugged/fixed totem gallery feature not working
  • helped reviewing the desktop plans for next cycle
  • reported some bugs from the ISO testing and discussed those upstream/downstream
  • reviewed/sponsored nautilus bionic SRU tweaks from Marco
  • tested a11y/screen reading in the installer, discussed problems/solutions with Didier
1 Like

This was a short week, I was offline on Thursday and Friday.

firefox24 firefox

• uploaded 63.0+build1 to cosmic and to the ~ubuntu-mozilla-security PPA, 63.0+build2 is currently building in the PPA
  • disabled NodeJS in 63.0 builds for bionic, xenial and trusty, because this requires version 8.11 which isn’t available there
  • foundations is working on rust and cargo updates for firefox 64
  • investigating bug #1798999 (apparmor profile silently enabled on upgrade, causing severe rendering issues)

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 70.0.3538.67, uploaded to cosmic-proposed just after final freeze, and built and tested in the stage PPA for bionic and xenial
  • updated snap and rebuilt against the gnome-3-26 backports PPA, amd64 snap verified to work and promoted to stable, other architectures fail to build

libreoffice24-margin libreoffice

• fixed autopkgtest failures with jdk 11 (bug #1796361): distro-patched in ubuntu-cosmic-6.1 branch, and a (slightly different, but functionally equivalent) fix was committed upstream
  • built 6.1.3 RC 1 snap and published in the candidate channel
  • started preparing 6.0.7 SRU for bionic (bug #1799230)

snapcraft24 snaps

• zyga reported that the colibri snap doesn’t run on fedora and that the issue appears to be in the desktop-launch script, I managed to reproduce the issue in a VM and I tried a few things, but without much success

package24 other

• added versions of libreoffice (6.1.2) and firefox (63.0) to the release notes
1 Like
  1. Debugging for GDM issue causing not starting in fast boots.
  2. Debugging issue “Added input sources only work after next log in”.. Was about to propose my fix but Carlos beaten me to it.
  3. Proposed fix for “mozjs60 crashes with SIGSEGV on gnome-shell exit, in GetPropertyOperation() from Interpret() from js::RunScript()”
  4. Some debugging for “Can’t exit via global menu “Quit” option”
  5. Some debugging for “Invalid read in the snap plugin”

My week:

• OpenPrinting web site planning:
    • Site will be written with GitHub’s Jekyll system, to avoid the security risks of a MySQL-based system and have the simple history tracking of GIT.
    • We will have a page about driverless printing and also some blog-alike News/Events part
    • We will get a new logo
  • Helped @jbicha on a blog post about Google Cloud Print support in GUI apps
  • Bugs
1 Like

My updates:

• Fixed broken self tests in provisioning branch.
  • Started a command line tool to run desktop snap tests to be finished this week.
1 Like

Yaru with GTK 3.18 (for Xenial based snap apps, among others):

• I’ve got a partially working theme here: https://github.com/jhenstridge/yaru/tree/gtk-3-18-support/gtk/src/light/gtk-3.0
  • This installs parallel to the GTK 3.20+ CSS, so isn’t an either/or deal.
  • Buttons and colours look good. Header bars have a few visual problems.
  • Still some work to get check boxes/radio buttons sorted: they combine images a bit differently.
  • I had some weird problems that seemed to be down to Adwaita 3.18 CSS being applied in conjunction to the Yaru CSS.

snap: URI handler stub for snapd:

GTK 2 themes for snap apps:

• The combination of theme data in gtk-common-themes and engines in gtk2-common-themes is working in edge.
  • I put in a request for the store to allow auto connection of the interfaces here, but am still waiting on a response:
2 Likes