Membership meeting disruption and attack

I had an attempted hack by “Not named” could not get by my confined AppArmor profile. Other than a tool bar trying to get a snapshot of my desktop, during the IRC I wound up with a extra tool bar…displaying a screenshot. … did,not work…
I presently am Embarrassed to be a member of Ubuntu because of this… @madhens should investigate and @https://launchpad.net/~sabdfl
I request as mark being my friend. I will end my tragic situation being do not trust IRC Chat at all. I had to Reinstall Ubuntu 20.04 my favorite OS.
This cost me a re-install. FACT during the meeting becoming a Ubuntu member…I now am ashamed to be this member…Remove me from the membership. That is what this is all about… Only to include an irreverent…conclusion…I would rather not be a member due to being subject to this: FACT… IRC Chat IS a Hacksite

1 Like

@bernard010 bernard excuse me but are you joining with ssl on IRC? I saw that you connect in ipv6 (basenji (~b3@2600:8804:200:a500::1)), so I don’t know where they got your IP … then I can ask you who this user is, because among the ubuntu members I don’t think there are any malicious users … having said that, I’m sorry if this really happened to you but I don’t think a hacker will duplicate your panel and take screenshots, but I think a hacker will steal a person’s sensitive data …

1 Like

True , very true, toolbar & screenshot attack happened. During the interview for membership… Log files as fact. No sensitive data on computer at all.

1 Like

Bernard I don’t think your attack came from IRC

2 Likes

Especially an ubuntu channel

1 Like

@bernard010 i also think they didn’t attack you on IRC, nor a ubuntu member but you went to some wrong site in my opinion …

Hi @bernard010,

If you have verifiable evidence that an Ubuntu Member, or any community participant, has attacked your computer then please forward it to the Community Council via community-council@lists.ubuntu.com (this is a moderated list so do not be alarmed when you get a message that your email has been held)

4 Likes

I will be humble and pass on the offer.
Thank You for the considerations.
I am a new member, don’t want to cause any problems.
Respectfully,
Bernard Stafford

Hi Bernard! First of all, I am sorry you had this sort of experience, and that it happened during the membership meeting. If, like @lucyllewy said, you have evidence this was caused by someone on the channel, please contact the Community Council, since that is pretty serious.

My guess - and this is just my guess - is that something happened at the same time as the meeting, which was either a strange coincidence, or was maybe related to how you connected to IRC. If you think it might be because of how you connected, it would be a good idea to get in touch with the IRC Council (irc-council@lists.ubuntu.com) and let them know the details, so they can see if there’s anything we can or should do. We want you and everyone in the Ubuntu Community to be safe!

4 Likes

Thank Your for your support and guidance.
I have contributed to my embarrassment.
My apologizes to the entire community.

5 Likes

When we learn from our mistakes, it makes us stronger. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you did the earthquake for nothing, next time investigate a little before alarming everyone
kiss
nicoz

It’s easy for any of us to assume the worst - once I thought my laptop was stolen from my locker at an archive, and I went, in tears, to get the security guards. Then I remembered I had changed lockers during lunch, after the guards had already got there. So we should definitely show patience to each other, and try to help each other out, like @nhaines said.

So @bernard010 don’t feel any worse than you have to, and just keep learning! It’s the best any of us can do. :blush:

3 Likes

Have you ever had a 2nd toolbar appear on your desktop with a second mouse pointer then open a snapshot of your desktop. That is embarrassing. All the same time I am typing a reply to a question on Hexchat. The 2nd toolbar and mouse pointer was froze om my desktop.
With all due respect I pass on IRC chat. AppArmor in confine mode works. I reinstalled a new desktop on the computer.
I am still just learning as you stated. Thank You.

1 Like

Oh, I used Hexchat once, and I did not like it at all. I am using IRC Cloud for now, since I need to see messages I missed when offline, and I also like the interface. To me, it was much more usable than Hexchat. But we’re starting to drift a bit off topic - maybe we can start a new one about IRC clients that we like to use and recommend!

2 Likes