LoCo council and loco teams resurrection

Thanks @madhens.

We, the loco rebooters team have emailed the CC for a meeting request on loco council resurrection.

Thanks

4 Likes

Since the demise of the Ubuntu Portal where the LoCos could post dates of upcoming events, I see no reason why we cannot use the Discourse page to post the upcoming Loco events. Is there a plan to post them somewhere else? Am I off track for the purpose of the LoCo pages?

It’s my intention to post on discourse until there’s an alternative. Discourse can work, but I rather have something purpose made.

Indico works well/better for big events, but regular small events where we just want to have a normalized event submission form and an attendance measurement, was best served by the previous portal, or something like meetup dot com (which we do also use at Ubuntu-pt). Or I’m I missing something?

Yes, that was our thought as well. For routine events like monthly meetups, you can just post a topic in your LoCo team cateogry and update it as needed. For larger events, creating a separate topic would probably be ideal. In both cases, please do add the events tag when creating the topic to help folks find it easier.

As @diogoconstantino mentioned, our intention is to extend Indico for LoCo usage as well. Discourse for the conversation piece and Indico for event planning. I don’t have an exact time-frame yet, but we hope to have something to share soon.

2 Likes

Is there a simple way to create new posts from a template, ideally one that doesn’t involve copy + paste? That would help a lot!

1 Like

That’s a great idea! I know Discourse has an official plugin that allows for topic template, but we do not currently have it enabled. I’ll check in with our web folks to see if it’s something we can take advantage of.

5 Likes

Alright. Thats cool, Looking forward for the feedback.

Nice, looking forward to the feedback as well

aaronprisk :smiley:
UWN:
Be also aware that with https://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ now directing to https://ubuntu.com/community/locos the respective LoCos presently have no means to post event notification to a localized media. The News Team is in a bind to relay any forthcoming event notifications.
We are trying to do this manually - time consuming and the chance of missing notifications is great.
A small matter that may mean a lot.

cheers

6 Likes

bashing-om
I have a solution, probably temporary, until a permanent one is created and distributed to us. I created a posting under the Arizona LoCo listing of our remaining September events and meetings.

Of course it must be updated monthly and probably well in advance for planning purposes, but I believe it may temporarily fill the void for us lowly LoCos who have been left without guidance after the demise of the Portal. And while the Council is at it they might consider a place where we can post the results of our events. Just a thought.

1 Like

I appreciate you letting me know!
I can think of two ways to help at the moment until we have the dedicated events management solution ready to go:

• LoCo’s can post their events directly in the Events category. Folks who want to be notified can click the little :bell: icon in the top of the category and they will receive a notice when any new events are posted there.
  • Alternatively, LoCos can post their events within their own category and use the existing events tag. We could also create a new specific loco-events tag to help seperate LoCo specific gatherings from general meetups and conferences.
2 Likes

If it helps, we ran an UbuntuOnAir event tracker topic for a couple years using the Wiki functionality.

A single post that gets edited frequently by the team members as needed.

It worked well, and required almost zero maintenance.

Brief instructions

3 Likes

Great idea. Thank you, @ian-weisser. I’d like to take more advantage of the Discourse Wiki functionality for other LoCo resources.

1 Like

Thanks Rex

The posting sure helps - noted~
1 down and at least 5+ others to go.

-things we do for our community-

1 Like

Thanks Aaron

Presently for our use case on the NewsLetter - I lean toward that 2nd alternative. When all the dust settles out we figure out a means to parse the loco-events tag thread; or whatever is developed.

cheers

1 Like

Regarding the event calendar, This would need some help form IS team i think, But What about having the calendar plugin in this discourse?

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-calendar/97376

1 Like

Hello all! The agenda post for the September meeting of the Community Council is posted, and the LoCo council is on the agenda. The meeting will be on IRC on September 26 at 20:00 UTC. Thank you all for your patience! :bowing_woman:

@bashing-om could we get the meeting added to the newsletter? Thank you! :blush:

4 Likes

madhens -

Yup - we on it :smiley:

Cheers

3 Likes

I put in a request this week with our IS folks in regards to this and the template plugin. I hope to have an update soon. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please have a look to the call for nominations for the loco communities council: Call for nominations for the Local Communities Council

8 Likes