Local Communities Research Committee

With the incredible success of Ubuntu around the world, the LoCo project is there to help groups of Ubuntu fans and enthusiasts work together in regional teams to help advocate, promote, translate, develop and otherwise improve Ubuntu. Our worldwide network of LoCo teams is providing a strong backbone to our already vast and extensive Ubuntu community.

The Community Council has now concluded that we need a new evaluation of this project, as the original momentum no longer seems to exist. Therefore, a committee is to be established.

The Local Communities Research Committee (LCRC) is an independent entity in the Ubuntu Community, overseen by the Community Council. Their duties are to:

• Determine the overall status of the Local Communities project
  • Determine ways to improve participation in the Local Communities project
  • Identify limitations that undermine the participation of people from LoCos (eg: long process to be official, another way to communicate, etc)
  • Investigate and propose working models for the Local Communities project

As an independent entity, they are free to perform all required activities in order to fulfill their duties. This includes but is not limited to:

• Conducting meetings, interviews, and focus groups
  • Investigating other external communities’ working models
  • Consulting with external parties on the best ways to implement their ideas

Once elected, they will meet every 2 weeks or every month. Their meeting cadence and time is to be decided as the LCRC’s first action item.

The LCRC is an entity that will exist for six (6) calendar months. Once their members expire, there will not be a renewal.

The LCRC is comprised of between 6 and 9 members. It is essential for the Committee to be composed of people from all regions/continents of the world or even more important with different perspectives so that the diversity of the community is reflected. These regions are:

• North America
  • South America
  • Europe
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Oceania

LCRC members are nominated to and elected by the Community Council. In order to be eligible for a nomination, you should:

• Be an Ubuntu Member.
  • Have prior experience working with worldwide communities.
  • Not be a Community Council member.
  • Having participated with an Ubuntu Local Community team in the past is not a requirement but strongly recommended.

By the end of their term, the LCRC will elaborate a report with the results of their determinations and investigations, and present it to the Community Council in a document, and in a Community Council meeting.

6 Likes

I want to take responsibility. I live in Turkey and I am experienced in community building and converging teams.

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply and your interest.

Please be patient for a few more days. We are still creating an official application channel, which I will post here and which we will make public.

2 Likes

Hello everybody,

If you think you can and want to make a contribution to Ubuntu here,
please send your nomination to community-council at lists.ubuntu.com.

Nominations are now open and will close on Saturday, February 6, 2021 23:59 UTC. After that, the Community Council will review the submissions and appoint the Local Communities Research Committee.

On behalf of the Community Council,
Torsten

2 Likes

I am too much love on this plan.

I think I can apply.

See ya soon

3 Likes

I am a member now for Ubuntu Türkiye Ubuntu Turkey local team Thanks

1 Like

Any suggest or note for this tasks.

I am pretty prefer with

• event organization handbook
    • todo list for loco organizer
    • check list for event
  • customization and localization for community
    • ubuntu customization
    • ubuntu localization
    • document and guide localization / translation with TM
  • customization tool kit for LoCo
    • software customize
    • ui/ux customize
    • installer customize
    • language and region
  • localization guide template for LoCo

some formal task is already on wiki.

we can make more comfortable and have fun ?

new style

• Bug Jam
  • Install Jam
  • Hack Night
  • Release Party
  • debate or brainstorm (online and face-to-face)

this is current suggest, any one comment or suggestion.

How difficult is it for you to use Ubuntu?
What makes it difficult for these LoCo to operate? Or have you ever heard of something difficult?

1 Like

@torsten.franz sorry for bumping this up now… is there anyway to contact this team if it is present now or have access to the feedback report?

As I see, in another thread, there is a call for nominations too…

The background of my query is I have started a discussion yesterday on ideas to revive the loco council and I am just gathering more information now with regards to the same.

For everybody, who is interested: I have answered this question here: LoCo council and loco teams resurrection

3 Likes