Intel RST Issues

Hello,

Personally I had to force safeboot instead of changing the registery. (using “bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal”). It then make more sense to try to delete that same key.

Once I made the change in the bios and it loaded in safeboot mode, it was able to boot normally as it loaded all driver, even the AHCI one. I just add to do “bcdedit /delete {current} safeboot”, and to restart windows and I had fully working windows with the disk controller in AHCI mode.

@tpollard61 yes, that seems the case. So either just stay with windows or completely turn off rst and switch to Ubuntu completely.

On Dell inspiron : didn’t work for me. Followed all the steps, had to go through the repair, and the boot directory didn’t exist on efi partition. Finally went back to raid on the bios, rebooted Windows and applied this and all went well (and it was fast) : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1233623/workaround-to-install-ubuntu-20-04-with-intel-rst-systems (second choice from second answer)

igorljubuncic Does Ubuntu support RST with PCIE SSD now?

Hi, I’ve dual booted older systems in the past, but now I have a modern thing with Intel RST, I am a bit stuck. Following these steps has allowed me to disable RST in Windows and BIOS, which now boots fine with AHCI.

I have had further issues and now I’ve decided just to run a Linux VM under Windows.

Is there a guide for undoing all of the registry tweaks and re-enabling Intel RST?

Thanks

Here is what I tried but did not work:

1. updated regedit values
  2. changed AHCI mode in BIOS (after that Windows could not boot)
  3. Volume letters were all ok
  4. Assigned F: letter to the hidden volume which also the only one with 1GB size and FAT32 filesystem format.
  5. none of the bcdedit commands worked for me, all 3 threw error
  6. in the F volume there was no boot directory, so **bcdedit ** commands were not performed.
  7. Windows did not boot at this stage.

Also, tried directions from here: https://medium.com/@aadiljaleel/dual-boot-ubuntu-16-04-2723fa71c24f

1. Disabled **Fast Boot ** from Windows power options
  2. But in the BIOS there was not Fast Boot option to disable
  3. still no luck, windows did not boot.

At the end, I changed back to RST windows booted with no problem.
Briefly, instructions did not work for me.

Question is why don’t Ubuntu/Linux does not support RST?

My machine’s bios does not allow me to turn off rst mode.
I followed the directions about editing the windows registry, but that doesn’t affect the bios. I’ve tried magic key sequences such as F5/F6, ctrl-s, etc., and the bios remains subborn. It will not let me change the disk controller mode.

So, another approach. I added another disk drive. When I boot from USB into try ubuntu, the new disk shows up at /dev/sda while the rst disk remains invisible. Fine.
But now I can run gparted and format the new drive. I can write to the file system on /dev/sda1. Great! Now let’s install ubuntu on that new disk drive. I’ll worry about booting into it later.

du -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 229G 60M 217G 1% /media/sda

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda
sudo touch /media/sda/foo
ls /media/sda
foo lost+found

Cool!

But the install ubuntu program still complains and will not proceed with rst turned on even though I don’t care to use the invisible rst-controlled disk and linux is happy to write on /dev/sda1

How can I get install ubuntu to proceed with installation even though rst disk controller mode is active for some other disks?

1 Like

I did exactly as the manual said (after the typo “iaStorAV” had been fixed), but the system still goes wrong and Windows cannot normally boot (exactly the same as in the picture … pity!)
Then I tried the following steps in the manual. I finished using “diskpart”. But any of the “bcdedit” commands doesn’t work on my computer. It said it could not find the file. I didn’t know what file it’s talking about. So I moved on.
And finally the “Bcdboot” stage. Still the “ren BCD BCD.bak” could not find corresponding files. But the “bcdboot” command worked, and the boot files are successfully created. Unfortunately, windows could not boot in the end :frowning: a blue screen …

------------------- after several minutes ------------------
THANK GOD!! Before I finished downloading the win10 System installer, I retried changing my computer’s storage controller protocol from AHCI to RST and reboot. It worked! And I can now use my computer again!
No more ubuntu on this computer … :frowning:. Luckily I have another computer where I installed Ubuntu 18 successfully.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info

Is it working if bitlocker is enabled, or does it has to be disabled first?

I read in some other post that it would require to enter the bitlocker recovery key on startup when changed to ahci driver. Is it the case with this config as well (changing the registry)?

This is a horrendous change. I have a computer with several harddrives, and one RST storage that’s dedicated for Windows. I do not want to use it for Ubuntu, and I have a dedicated SATA drive I want to use for Ubuntu.

Right now the installer is preventing me from installing Ubuntu on my non-RST SATA drive just because it detected RST on the computer.

Please add an advanced option to “install anyway”.

2 Likes

hi,
yep,
agree,
have win installed, rst with optane enabled, but no raid configured, just separate disks
i cant disable rst in bios… how to install?

P.S. Gparted successfuly see and detect free disk i want Ubuntu install to.

1 Like

It worked excellent on my Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL

It appears not possible to switch off the RST in the BIOS on the HP Omen 15-dg0950nd or 15-dh1590nd. Please support RST, it’s the only internal storage these devices have.

MY BROTHER THIS JUST WORKED FOR ME THANK YOU MY DUDE!!!

Any fire you need saving from or ANY BULLET YOU NEED A TANK TO WALK THROUGH, you just let me know big homie.

Much thanks from the BOTTOM of my heart. Keep rocking the Ubuntu sites and forums - you are a lifesaver.

2 Likes

I’m trying to install Ubuntu 22.10 on an external SSD on a Laptop that has Windows 11 installed on it with RST enabled. Why does the installer not just provide a “Skip” button that continues the installation without disabling RST first? I would post a bug report, but I’m not so sure where. Any hints appreciated.
This would be a perfect solution for me, since I don’t need access to the internal SSD anyways when I’m running Linux.

Cześć Piotrek, I have the same issue as you describe in terms of volumes showing when I run disk part list volume. Did you manage to solve the issue?

These steps worked for me. Only use if you know what you are doing. In my case I wanted to install on a USB stick from a computer with RST enabled, so bypassing the check was safe.

https://khalifa.ws/posts/skip-ubuntu-intel-rst-check.html

Can now understand what went wrong, the actual guide which is at https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/ should get updated.

So googling my RST lead me to this page.

I have an older Dell OptiPlex 3050 that I installed a samsung 950 pro nvme drive in in the hopes I can use it for Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS on it.

I created my bootable disk and during installation got the message about not being able to install due to RST. I went into BIOS and changed my storage configuration to AHCI from raid and was successfully able to install and boot into Ubuntu .

However, on every restart of the computer, I get an error message from the Dell Support Assist saying that I don’t have an NVME drive installed and i have to hit continue, which then allows me to boot intu Ubuntu.

My plan was to use this computer for my headless plex server and having it stop on boot doesn’t allow it to continue to boot to ubuntu unless I manually click continue on the error screen

So then I changed it back to RAID and no longer get the no nvme error message, but then ubuntu won’t boot.

Any ideas on how I can get this issue resolved?