Initramfs-tools version 0.140ubuntu13.4 removed from repos?

Hello

Yesterday, initramfs-tools was upgraded to version 0.140ubuntu13.4, but this version has since been removed from repos again, and now it’s version 0.140ubuntu13.2.

This poses a couple of questions:

• Is there information anywhere about why this release was rolled back?
  • Is it recommended to manually downgrade to 0.140ubuntu13.2?

This is the relevant snippet of the apt log from unattended upgrades:

Start-Date: 2023-08-09  06:47:56
Commandline: /usr/bin/unattended-upgrade
Upgrade: initramfs-tools-core:amd64 (0.140ubuntu13.2, 0.140ubuntu13.4), initramfs-tools-bin:amd64 (0.140ubuntu13.2, 0.140ubuntu13.4), initramfs-tools:amd64 (0.140ubuntu13.2, 0.140ubuntu13.4)
End-Date: 2023-08-09  06:48:20

This was asked on “Ask Ubuntu”, and I would like to provide a correct answer for the poster (and also take the recommended action on my own system).

Thanks in advance.

From what I can gather, this package was released in phased updates (reahced 20%), but then pulled back - for as of yet unknown reason.

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/jammy/main/updates/initramfs-tools-core

It would be nice to know which system breaking bug caused the package to be rolled back.

Any chance of an informed reply, or should we keep guessing what happened, and what’s the recommended action to take? :thinking:

The progress of phased updates can be seen on Released Ubuntu SRUs

The publishing history will tell the story: Publishing history : initramfs-tools package : Ubuntu

Deleted on 2023-08-09 by Łukasz Zemczak
Moving back to -proposed, released during 22.04.3 freeze.

Ok so this wasn’t due to any bugs, but simply due to bad timing - so there’s no problem in leaving version 0.140ubuntu13.4 on the system now that it’s installed?

Hi @ameinild,

The possibility of having a problem with the version currently in -proposed is low, but not nonexistent. If you’re experiencing problems with it, please file a bug and downgrade to the version that’s currently in the release pocket. Otherwise, if everything is working as expected, then it is not a problem to keep the version from -proposed installed. It will soon migrate to the release pocket anyway.

Cheers.