Previous week’s status can be found at Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 21 Sep 2023
- Working on an openssl SRU for Jammy (it is difficult to ensure it is safe)
- Attended Kernel Recipes 2023 (3 days conference)
StarFive VisionFive 2
- As the some versions of the vendor U-Boot have issues with booting our images I have uploaded a u-boot-starfive package to ppa:ubuntu-risc-v-team/release based on the current upstream U-Boot next branch plus a few patches. In the 24.04 release we can u-boot-starfive out of the u-boot source package.
- The current upstream OpenSBI has several issues detectable via Coverity. I have send a bunch of patches upstream to correct these.
- llvm-toolchain-17 riscv64 build suffer from a very high memory consumption. On behalf of @doko I have been building the package locally and provided memory consumption logs.
- I have reviewed a bunch of submissions.
Proposed a fix for the following issues:
- PR #146 - ubuntu-image classic always passes --vcs=auto to germinate even when told not to
- PR #144 - Pathname for manual customization not relative to image definition file
- PR #143 - # The ‘fstab’ of ‘customization’ destroy original fstab content
These PR are waiting for a review.
Merged a PR from the snapd team regarding volume/partition size
- setuptools - LP: #2037205 - Found a fix but I am still working to understand why this is still failing to build in LP.
Short week, due to travels.
- Finished packaging
rustupand got sponsored in Debian.
- MP: #452012 (LP: #2036966) - budgie: fix sources.list to have the normal template, particularly to pick up multiverse. Also file LP: #2037327 about improving the API of this code.
- LP: #2028862 - finalize livecd-rootfs testing of this SRU, migration to jammy release pocket accepted, resulting ISO looks good.
- Investigating LP: #2037569 - there appears to be a loop between udev rules and how udisks2 is working on s390x. Not installer specific as can be seen in the installed system. I expect that this will need a change to udisks2 but don’t know what that is yet.
- MP: #452185 - continue vmtest cleanup. cloud-init SRU testing uses part of the curtin vmtest suite, and this fell out of date, so fix that.
- 24.04 prep
- PR reviews from community PR#410 PR#411
- Meeting with UX to talk about the netplan diff interface
- Investigation of why some autopkgtests started to fail in Jammy. After trying different versions of systemd and kernel, I’ve found that networkd started to fail to create
ip6_greinterfaces when the kernel 5.15.0-83.92 was added. Downgrading to 5.15.0-82.91 or using the HWE kernel (6.2) makes it work again. The diff between 5.15.0-82.91 and 5.15.0-83.92 shows some changes in the ip6_gre and netlink drivers but I’m not sure why it broke. We still need to decide if we can hint the test as it’s blocking a proposed migration LP#2025519
- Analysis of feature gaps when compared with other tools
- addressed crash when the original storage configuration is queried too early.
- fixed failure when listing available OEM meta-packages in semi-automated desktop installs (unexpected order of events)
- investigating an endless loop of udev events causing various issues during installs. It seems easy to reproduce on s390x but is not limited to.
- working on making desktop installations fallback to offline installs if the mirror testing does not pass. This involves skipping operations that require access to the network.
Working on patches for:
- LP: #2034986 " some text became unreadable during a distribution upgrade"
- LP: #2036679 " security sources.list needs fixing on upgrade"
- LP: #2036765 " ubuntu-release-upgrader failed to upgrade snap to track new release"
Opened PR for container support in systemd-coredump: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/29272
- Work in progress, need to re-work the approach
- Finally I can mention all the Pi 5 work!
- Lots of testing: server, desktop, graphics, GPIO, camera, ports, etc. etc.
- Uploaded updated
- Uploaded updated
gpiozero(LP: #2037637), now with Pi 5 ASCII art!
- Working on updated
rpi-eeprom(had a hacky package prepped without “proper” sources, now revising with official sources)
- Working on updated
ubuntu-settingspackage (ironically the Pi 5 bits are ready, but there’s an issue with activating universe and multiverse in the images that I need to work around)
- Pushed updated ISO test cases
Short-ish week, out Wednesday morning
- beta finished
- reviews of freeze exception requests
- reviews of uploads in the freeze queue
- working to close out the release team’s beta checklist
- image iteration: lots of livecd-rootfs uploads
- Friday SRU shift
Priority mismatch cleanups: identified a wrong recommends from
wpasupplicant, pulling it into images where it doesn’t belong
- NBS staying clean
- last component-mismatches / MIRs for the cycle
- drop jigdo support for the seldom-used source ISOs; prerequisite for dropping ubuntu-cdimage dependency on a local mirror
- publish the signing certificate for s390x bootloader onto the ISO (still in progress)
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-535: Reporting issues found during testing:
- bladerf: Sync 0.2023.02-2 (Debian applied our patch)
- python-distutils-extra: Port from deprecated distutils to setuptools. Release 3.0 to Debian unstable.
- setting up .NET runtime benchmarking
- attended weekly .NET Partners Sync
Ubuntu Packaging Guide
- Worked with @andersson123 to debug the status of the staging autopkgtest environment.
- Reviewed and merge @paride’s changes bumping the live server size limits.
- Uploaded a fix for bug 2017644 regarding ipython not being used with lp-shell, however there’s another crash, which I reported, when using ipython. But progress‽
- Updated Beta Release process checklist template with additional details about spinning Beta images, and IRC topic setting.
- Created JIRA cards for the final release of Ubuntu 23.10.
- Testing bug 2013236 yet again, then worked with @xnox to gather more details.
- Patch pilot shift.
- SRU team duties.
- Reviewing candidate applications.
- Discovered a bug regarding the documentation about
juju expose. So I commented in the forum about it.
- Investigated and submitted a PR regarding the autopkgtest queue metric failing to run due to the staging environment of autopkgtest being down. Then merged it and updated the server.
- Investigated the use of
eflinuxas fallback in GRUB 2.12 for EFI handover support
- Drafted specification for PowerVM secure boot and started looking at patches
- Working on fixes for LP#2028931 and LP#1965983
(continued from last week) autoinstall config is now specifiable on the kernel command line, along with some changes to the priority of the autoinstall locations PR #1803
Currently investigating LP #2032961, where certain commands fail in the early- and late-commands steps during autoinstall.
- redeploying staging environment - fixing related issues
- working on MP for github duplicate requests and associated unit tests
- working on MP for removal of “forgotten about” github test files
- deployed new charm revision of autopkgtest-web on production
- MP for using metapackage instead of task for ubuntu-unity (since it’s currently broken and the task is not installable)
- Working on MP for integrating apport-noui into the upgrade tests to report crashes to the error tracker
ubuntu manual tests
- Working on adding a test case for zfs + encryption for the legacy image
- adding a post install step to the above testcase mounting the encrypted partition from a live session, still WIP
- reported a duplicate bug regarding live session localisation
- reported a bug about zfs discrepancy between legacy and non-legacy installer
- Been running through the mandatory and mandatory extra test cases for the daily non-legacy image
Ubuntu QA / autopkgtest
- More work on getting OpenQA up
- MP reviews, see e.g.
- Debugging work on the stagign environment
- torkoal upgrade (planned: bionic -> focal -> jammy)
- Hit issues during the upgrade process (server lost connectivity). Currently debugging this using the BMC serial console.
- Jenkins maintenance
- Bug triage rotation
- Review of new test scripts and test definitions to land in the internal Jenkins
- Greenhouse work
- Patch pilot shift