Previous week’s status can be found at Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 28 Sep 2023
Mantic RISC-V images
- Retesting Unmatched and QEMU: we will have a separate generic image for QEMU to avoid conflicts with Unmatched
RISC-V 6.5 Linux kernel
- Testing on different hardware
Pine64 Pinetab V
- Looked at current vendor images and boot process
- Evaluate submissions
- PR #146 - ubuntu-image classic always passes --vcs=auto to germinate even when told not to
- reworked, improved and merged
- PR #147 - Make sure customized cloud-init files are valid
- proposed and merged
- PR #148 - ubuntu-image ‘pack’ support
- Work In Progress
- Wrote a small spec to protect secrets in ubuntu-image configuration file. Waiting for a review.
- PR: #1818 - improvements to file writing utilities to allow more control about mode and group ownership
- PR: #1819 - fix incorrect ownership on the cloud-init logfile we copy at install time to the targets system
- PR: #1820 - fix CVE-2023-5182 - as autoinstall-user-data contains a password hash hash for a user with sudo access, create the autoinstall-user-data as 0400 root:root.
- PR: #1821 - mantic merge
- LP: #2038375 - provide supporting documentation for cloud-init SRU about a pending fix for Subiquity and how to test that fix on Jammy.
- LP: #2037569 - finish diagnosing udev problems and implement a fix on udisks2. Underlying bug filed upstream.
- LP: #2037425 - merge seed MP and upload ubuntu-meta for zfsutils-linux and the server seed
- patch pilot
- MP looks is fine but tests are failing in PPA, asked to investigate
- (LP: #2033759) https://code.launchpad.net/~vpa1977/ubuntu/+source/zict/+git/zict/+merge/452508
- Upload after I did one tweak
- (LP: #2037646) https://code.launchpad.net/~mateus-morais/ubuntu/+source/python-duniterpy/+git/python-duniterpy/+merge/452378
- feedback from previous pilot shift addressed, uploaded
- opened ubuntu-desktop-installer issue about autoinstall and the progress console
- 24.04 estimations
- .NET 8 RC1 package in review
- Added missing information to d/copyright file
- Worked on cleaning up some more Lintian complaints
- Investigating how to build .NET 8 without a .git folder in the source tree to avoid pushing an orig tarball with .git in it.
- Attended weekly .NET partners sync meeting
- Prepared and submitted an SRU for openssl (3 bug fixes, 1 performance fix for concurrent loads): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jammy/+source/openssl/+bug/2033422
- Resolved all comments on the crypto-configuration spec and will soon ask for
reviews again (after mantic’s release probably)
- Preparing a demo for crypto-configuration (OVH, I don’t thank you for your
IPv6 with /56 prefixes but only one IPv6: you’re actually lying to customers)
Subiquity (to-be-published new docs on Read the Docs)
- Unifying docs build system with other Ubuntu/Canonical docs on Read the Docs
- Fixing formatting bugs (unfinished code blocks etc.)
- Converting version numbers to variables (rST subtitutions)
- Unifying style & language
- Investigating miscellaneous bugs
- Uploaded u-r-u: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-upgrader/1:23.10.7
- Pushed updates to https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/29272
- Finished planning tentative Rust toolchain roadmap items for 24.04
- Currently investigating how to serve Rust developers via Snaps best
- Created a tool to find reverse build dependencies of Rust micro-packages (that only contains source code)
- Currently investigating the possibility of improving UX for BCM43xx wireless cards by using
- Still working on the NBD write-up (yes, it’s turned into another mammoth wall of verbiage)
- Uploaded updated
- Proposed changes to
ubuntu-settings(thanks @xnox for merging!)
- Uploaded patch for
flash-kernelto tidy up the output messages on Pi 5 (and other boards) (LP: #2038087)
- Closed a few bugs that popped up during beta testing, but were subsequently fixed thanks to the desktop team (LP: #2037019, LP: #2037015)
- Prepped some changes for oem-config to look at next cycle, for tidying up pre-installed desktop images (LP: #2038098)
- ISO test case changes for the Pi 5 were merged; some additional changes required to remove 2GB desktop tests
- Tested creation of a Kubuntu Pi image with
oem-configworked nicely, but
sddmfailed after initial setup; needs further investigation)
- Uploaded changes to rpi-lgpio for Pi 5 compatibility (LP: #2038311)
- refactoring autopkgtests
- setting up .NET runtime benchmarking
- attended weekly .NET Partners Sync
- created JIRA tickets and preliminary descriptions for 24.04 Roadmap Epics (managed to not break JIRA this time hopefully)
Ubuntu Packaging Guide
- addressing feedback to sallys review of PR #32
- writing new how-to articles
- attended weekly Ubuntu Packaging Guide meeting
- some paperwork
MR that updates the debian/copyrights file for openjdk-22 was merged. Next: rewrite the copyright generator in Python (it’s currently in Perl, raise MRs for openjdk-11, openjdk-17 and openjdk-21 branches).
Investigated NSS-related Elliptic Curve Cryptography test case failures on jammy. Patch ready.
Concluded performance testing of the ReduceAllocationMerges patch from Microsoft. The results of the re-run (done as per Microsoft’s suggestion) are also not good enough to justify a backport to JDK17.
Got TCK 17 running inside a docker container using the Adoptium AQA scripts.
- Extended the crypto prototype to include a Key Agreement API
- Created an informal chiseled image for openjdk-21 (on the lines of openjdk-17) and ran some tests. The formal image needs to wait for openjdk-21 to be available on jammy/focal and for the maven:jdk21 images to be available on dockerhub.
- Adoptium Workgroup Meeting
- Attended a Google-interlock call and worked on two questions posed by the GCP’s toolchains team in the context of their openjdk/Java buildpack. Thanks to valuable inputs from @vpa1977 !
Short week as I had some time off to recuperate from GNU Cauldron.
- Finally understood what’s going on in our armhf autopkgtests (there’s still one small mystery, though). Patched it out, sent it upstream, and am now preparing an SRU for when mantic is out.
- Internal glibc roadmap work for next cycle
- Some preliminary investigations and triaging for incoming installer crash reports
- Coordinating with Security on the various CVEs that have hit glibc as of late.
- Take-home tests grading
- grub security updates published, for debs anyhow
- apt snapshot SRUs passing CI now and ready to write changelog and upload
- shim-signed should lose
--auto-nvramargument, but we can’t get it to pick up the PPA as the prefered download source
- PoC grub 2.12~rc1-10ubuntu4 backports to jammy, focal, bionic (not building yet): Packages in “Backports build PPA” : Backports build PPA : “Development of Ubuntu software for UEFI platforms” team - xenial also missing.
Currently investigating subiquity’s logging and the existing interface with apport, hoping to improve our crash report process.
- Investigating some bugs
- Doing some investigation for LP#1965983
- Backporting fix for LP#2028931 into lunar, and jammy
- Preparing grub2-(un)signed updates for CVE-2023-4692 and CVE-2023-4693
- Drafting spec for PowerVM Secure Boot support
- Drafting spec for UEFI variable manipulation in LXD VMs using lxc on the command line
- Investigated the status and what we need to do to implement the spec [Spec] Definition of an "online" system
- Bug triaging
- Improved my mini-spec about the implementation of parser flags
- Implemented a PoC of an idea to make Netplan ignore bad files and netdefs using parser flags PR#412
- Putting some ideas together for the next cycle to discuss with the team
stdgpu: requested to move libthrust-dev to the universe to resolve
dependency-wait. Package migrated. LP: 2037908
atop: investigated the autopkgtest failure on armhf. The root cause
was the atopacctd service not starting in the lxc container and
leaving behind a 0-length file. Atop client misinterpreted it and used
a structure filled with zeroes. This caused a division by zero and the
subsequent crash. Submitted MP in Ubuntu and upstream. LP: 2037910
cataclysm-dda: requested to remove armhf binaries to resolve
dependency-wait. Package migrated. LP: 2037912.
abyss: requested to move to the universe to align with Debian: LP 2037916.
casacore: -O2 switch was lost after sync. Added it back, package
migrated. LP: 2037921.
zict: upstream fixed the test deadlock. I have backported the
upstream patch, and the package migrated. Forwarded to Debian. LP:
nix: added missing dependency libssh-dev and disabled autopkgtests
requiring internet. Opened MP in Ubuntu. LP: 2037314
unifrac/unifrac_tools: autokgtests fail due to:
- rounding error (not present in the latest version), but we will
have to add the patch
- failing test due to the division by zero in unifrac-tools. I
have opened PR upstream to fix this, but before patching the Ubuntu
package, it would be nice to confirm the fix with the upstream as they
need to decide the semantics.
- missing round() method. I could not reproduce it after division by zero was fixed in ppa.
More details are in LP: 2038397
- rounding error (not present in the latest version), but we will
slic3r-prusa: the unit tests hang in CI due to the deadlock in
Slic3r::GUI::BoostThreadWorker. Enabling verbose mode for tests allows
them to pass most of the time, but they still hang from time to
time. Submitted the issue upstream. LP: 2031340