Previous status can be found here: Foundations Team Updates - Thursday 24 November 2022
- merge latest Debian version
- test SRUed versions
- test serurity updates
- analyze why booting on Focal via EFI fails (missing hart ID)
- test SRUed version
- test Jammy builds
- sync request created
- review & sponsor bogl merge for @danilogondolfo, http://pad.lv/1997961
- MIR: mark libnet-libidn2-perl as false-positive, http://pad.lv/1980663
- request libgd2 -> libheif dependency MIRs, FR-3062
- MIR: escalate pkgconf -> pkg-config transition (ownership discussion), http://pad.lv/1998095
- MIR: demote default-jdk-doc (openjdk-17-doc): https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntu/commit/?id=d5aec10f3d6eede5ed61041baf9b1f74343aad45
- MIR mosh review: https://pad.lv/1997106
- MIR: fix nvme-cli component-mismatch, https://pad.lv/1998114
- dropping libhugetlbfs dependency, https://bugs.debian.org/1025230
- review & sponsor @xypron’s util-linux merge, https://pad.lv/1997989
- email to ubuntu-release@ (stuck in moderation?!) wrt MIR vs SRU in stable series
- systemd v252 merge review (initial) for @enr0n
- bug triage session with Danilo
- send email about NM call-for-testing to ubuntu-devel@
- review big libnetplan API refactoring PR#289
- fix & merge NM 1.40 compat PR#300
- review & merge
netplan ip leasePR#301
- candidate interviews
- take-home test reviews
- Ubuntu TB nomination introduction email
- more specwork to reduce number of crashes caused by APT errors
- continuing the POC with mirror testing
- followed up with cloud-init bug LP: #1997559 making the Subiquity CI pipeline break in lunar.
- addressed LP: #1997538 (standard server installs crashing early on devel branch)
- multiple duplicates ; bug is also affecting users of the new desktop installer / daily canary
- opened and merged PR 1493 to address it
- includes a new mechanism to configure behavior of dry-run executions
- coordinated with desktop team to fix the issue in the desktop installer
- investigated Subiquity installing server flavor of drivers (i.e., GPGPU) of nvidia chips on desktop. Opened PR 1505 to address it
- testing of Ubuntu Pro (magic-attach) with demo environment
(short week, was off Friday and Monday)
- Investigated LP#1997797 (CT-96): vd* devices have no by-id links, we probably should use by-uuid in grub-multi-install
- Reproduced LP #1396379 as part of the previous item; need to reinstall with patched installer to validate merge proposal.
- python-apt 2.5.0 and SRUs for AcquireFile large file support LP#1998265
- Investigated bionic blockers, retried with new unattended-upgrades
- sponsored sysvinit merge for @ogayot
- installed new ThinkPad T14 G3 AMD and filed and reproduced bugs
- Opened PR to update to latest snapd. This fixes a bug with using defaults in the gadget definition and the --cloud-init flag together
- Investigated issue with non-sequential partition numbers, need to do some upstream library work
- Spec review for using new ubuntu-image for official image builds
- Mostly focused on Perl
- Restarted lots of tests
- Queued some migration-reference/0 tests
- Queued some --all-proposed tests
- List of blocking tests reduced from 2,000 to < 1000
- Also looking into the golang-github-containers-psgo dependency chain
- Uploaded new golang-github-opencontainers-runtime-tools
- Looked into FTBFS for golang-github-containerd-stargz-snapshotter
- This requires some new dependencies to be packaged
- Lots of take home tests
- Busybox merge (waiting on build queues)
- brltty merge (completed)
- As part of my work with the Accessibility Guild, working on snapping nerd-dictation speech to text software
- a lot of catch-up after being OOO
- several candidate code packet reviews
- casper - verify LP: #1986781, @mfo plans to SRU it
- Create a repo for the Desktop Autoinstall documentation. This outlines a process for using Subiquity to automate a desktop installation. In later releases we will improve this process.
- Start plans for next Subiquity stable build, want to do it next week.
This covers a couple of weeks or so as I was out.
- Added soapdenovo2 to big_packages for amd64 because it OOM’ed
- Replaced lxd-armhf11 due to file system / database corruption
- Merged a branch providing more details about adding the new release.
- Provided an example of how to use run-autopkgtest when opening a new release.
- Submitted an MP removing the blacklisting of virtio_rng for kinetic as the bug has been fixed for a bit.
- Cowboy’ed the above change on the cloud workers.
- Added multiple packages to the never_run list after looking at Debian’s reject_list.
- After getting some help from the Juju and IS teams I resolved (worked around) an issue with the autocert failing to upgrade in the staging and production versions of the autopkgtest environment. I submitted an MP with the changes I cowboy’ed in production and staging.
- Rebuilt the autopkgtest-cloud readthedocs documentation.
- Updated the autopkgtest-cloud-worker charm and updated the staging version of the proposed migration environment.
- Update the errors code switching from Kinetic to 22.10 in staging and production.
- Updated the daisy and errors code for Lunar and updated the servers in staging and production.
- Updated the whoopise and jasper-initramfs bzr branches to point at the git branch which @bdrung created.
- Submitted an MP which adds retracer configuration for Lunar.
- Merged and uploaded an MP from @enr0n removing the firefox deb quirk and fixing an apport package hook crash.
- Submitted a pull request adding contact information to the ubuntu-desktop-installer snap which will fix bug 1979845 regarding not being able to use ubuntu-bug w/ the snap in the “Try Ubuntu” environment.
- Updated phased-updates report to point to the source code in git instead of bzr which was a 404.
- Submitted, merged an MP adding a release team task to notify the Ubuntu QA team about submitting an RT to create autopkgtest images.
- Investigation into the missing command-not-found indexes for Lunar. I ended up performing a manual build of them because the Jammy builds are ending a Traceback. Well the Lunar build ended up with a Traceback too.
- Reported bug 1998265 regarding an OverFlow error in apt when trying to build the command-not-found indexes.
- Cowboy’ed a try except into the cnf-extractor so that we can at least generate indexes for Kinetic and Lunar.
- Merged and uploaded an MP for ubuntu-release-upgrader which adds a dist-upgrade quirk for Focal (B to F upgrade) fips systems.
- Reported bug 1998365 regarding a crash in subiquity when installing the Lunar canary daily image.
- Reported bug 1998376 regarding NVIDIA server drivers being installed after using the new desktop installer from the Lunar canary image.
- Submitted an MP add Canoncal Ubuntu QA team to the list of teams in ubuntu-archive-tools.
- Reviews of candidate essays.
- Administrative work.
- Merge systemd 252 from Debian
- Opened PR https://code.launchpad.net/~enr0n/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+git/systemd/+merge/433823
- PR for various upstream test fixes: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/25508
- PR with Debian for firstboot /etc/default/locale handling: https://salsa.debian.org/systemd-team/systemd/-/merge_requests/185
- Fixed failures in new upstream tests
- PR to fix oomd in unprivileged LXD containers: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/25509
- Looked into systemd/udev involvement in LP 1991552
- Review PR for upgrade quirk from bionic for FIPS enabled systems
- Restore reboot required notification to update-notifier
- Prepared another two rounds of SRU for jammy
- Link Debian bug to https://launchpad.net/bugs/1982523
- Merged latest change from Debian and uploaded 3.129ubuntu1 to lunar
- Marked Ubuntu bug #1982523 as fixed by 3.129ubuntu1
- Forwarded support for encrypting home: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/adduser/-/merge_requests/70
- Started discussion about default DIR_MODE on debian-devel: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/11/msg00251.html
- tzdata: Updated to 2022g (LP: #1998321)
- glibc-doc-reference: Synced 2.36-1 from Debian unstable
- Looked at the most occuring crashes on https://errors.ubuntu.com/?package=apport&period=month
- fix: Catch various malformed problem reports:
- Still working on the Rust toolchain upgrade:
- rustc 1.63 and cargo 0.64 have been uploaded to lunar-proposed
- rustc 1.62.1 and cargo 0.64 are currently building for kinetic, jammy, focal and bionic in the dedicated security PPA, with 1.63 waiting for those builds to finish.
- Code reviews:
- Sponsored s390-tools SRUs for a whole range of bugs on Focal, Jammy and Kinetic
- Hiring interviews & take-home tests
- Merged bogl from Debian
- Implemented a (hacky, image-specific) means of ensuring the Pi desktop image leaves space for LUKS on root
- Responded to initramfs-tools merge review from @vorlon; ready for re-review/sponsorship (LP: #1988418)
- Finished sbuild merge (LP: #1998479), but one test to fix; @bdrung has kindly offered to review+sponsor
- Sponsored u-boot-nezha for @xypron (LP: #1998197)
- u-boot verification on Pi
- Pi meetings
- Finished with strace update to 5.19
- Sent the crypto configuration spec and started the review-answer loop
- Starting on the openssl merge
- cryptsetup: fixed autopackagetests, they should run again except cryptroot-lvm and cryptdisks.
working on getting cryptroot-lvm running again.
- gmp: starting on merge