Difficulty logging in since site update

@gunnarhj1 @gunnarhj. this happened to me too. I should have posted about it once I resolved the matter but I was busy doing other things. :blush:

Like you I was forever being prompted to create a new account no matter which browser and device I was using. Frustrating. I thought the problem affected only me.

I eventually found that there was a mismatch between my Ubuntu SSO email address and my Discourse email address. Obviously that was something that didnā€™t affect the previous Discourse release but does now.

So I changed my Ubuntu SSO email address to match that in Discourse and logged in successfully.

As I hadnā€™t posted with my paulw2u1 account I changed the Ubuntu SSO email address back, logged in to the duplicate account and deleted it. Then I changed the email address back again and continued with my original paulw2u account.

My account preferences show a SAML email address which was the email address that I had changed in Discourse but itā€™s not the one that I have set to use in Ubuntu SSO.

I hope that helps you restore your account and that Iā€™ve explained in sufficient detail what you need to do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, @paulw2u . That helped me log in to my normal account (from which I post now). I deleted the other account.

In my case the ā€œSAMLā€ account is my Ubuntu alias gunnarhj@ubuntu.com. I temporarily changed my preferred Ubuntu SSO email address to that one to be able to log in to my discourse account. However, having an alias as the preferred Ubuntu SSO address - as opposed to a ā€˜realā€™ address - does not feel as a good idea. I think Iā€™d like to change that ā€œSAMLā€ address in discourse instead, but it does not seem to be editable.

1 Like

It is a workaround, not a solution. Especialy not for those who might have removed the old address from their account and also do not have access to add it again. Whoever set up this discourse installation did a terrible job by locking anyone out of their account who had used a different e-mail-address before, and by using just that for authentication instead of some unique account id.

Yes, if I change my email address in Discourse I also have to change my Ubuntu SSO email address to match to retain access to this account. I thought about doing that but I decided not to as I didnā€™t know what problems I might encounter with other Ubuntu related sites such as Launchpad. :confused:

You canā€™t even change the e-mail address in discourse, as you wonā€™t get the verification message. The only thing you can do is delete your discourse account, then create a new one using a different address. The thing is, if the e-mail-address is used as the only identifier, you donā€™t need a sso system at all. Even someone who gains access to any previously registered e-mail address (e.g. some recycled free mail address) could steal your account by just adding it to HIS ubuntu one account. No need to hack a password. People might think they are safe, if they remove any old address from their ubuntu account, but as long as the system is such a mess, they are not. The purpose of Open ID is to authenticate users by any means, then use a randomly generated, account-specific key to connect with a client site, not to use the e-mail-address AS that key.

As far as I can see, launchpad did not have any problems with it. Snapcraft needed a login with the old address first, but after logging out and back in with the new address immediately afterwards, it got the message.

So I just encountered this issue today. What happened for me was, I had changed my email address to my new one over on login.ubuntu.com, ad wasnā€™t signed in on this computer to discourse yet, and when it was trying to log me in via SSO, it was picking up my new email address that I had just added to login.ubuntu.com, and thus telling me to create an account.

How I fixed it though, is kind of confusing. I went back to my login.ubuntu.com account, and changed my email back to the one that discourse was expecting, logged into discourse and the changed my email address to my new one. I then went back to login.ubuntu.com and changed it back to my new one also.

Problem solved (at least for me)

I should like help in recovering my way back into the Ubuntu forums.
Iā€™ve been a member since 2008, and have only a few grey hairs left, so having been to the resolution center for help, I asked then to sort out my problem, as of yesterday.
Today, when I try to log in, the details that are saved for me take me to the next page, the Forum page, but Iā€™m still not logged in.
I got messed up trying to transfer all my details onto a new laptop, and in the process seem to have created a new identity, which one of the Admin staff merged. This created the same problem, and the only way I could get to the resolution center was to create a completely separate identity. This seems to have created a Gordian knot that I am unable to unravel. The last ditch idea is to get all my identities deleted, and start from scratch, abandoning any hope of getting my original one back.

In my despair, Iā€™ve come here as a last attempt to get it sorted. At 82yo, the problem is becoming urgent, as I donā€™t know where else to turn for help.
John aka grey1beard aka fanmaker

1 Like