Desktop Team Updates - Monday 4th April 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 28th March 2022

2 Likes
2 Likes

WSL

• Make the launcher buildable directly from Visual Studio or MSBuild without requiring to run prepare-build. It’ll be much easier for first time contributors to start on the project.
  • Testing 22.04LTS images
  • Fixed livecd-rootfs to create missing groups.
3 Likes
4 Likes
  • Additions to the Jammy Release Notes
  • Testing and reporting of the webkit/mesa bug affecting my Intel graphics
  • Wrote a blog post about how to easily install a bunch of .deb’s like I needed to do to verify the mesa regression
  • Ended up taking Seb’s advice to reduce parallel builds for webkit2gtk on amd64 since 2.36.0 hadn’t built successfully for a week.
  • Completed the libgweather4 transition in Debian.
  • Removed the GNOME Documents app from Ubuntu 22.04
  • Filed a Feature Freeze Exception for libarchive 3.6.0
  • Packaged the GTK4 library of colord-gtk (needed for gnome-control-center 42 which Simon has uploaded to Debian experimental)
  • Looked briefly at gnome-control-center 42 and realized the Snap permission integration for the Applications panel no longer builds after the GTK4 switch. I believe Ubuntu is currently the only distro to enable this but I think it would be useful for at least Debian. (It does not add a dependency on snap.)
  • Mentoring a new Debian contributor with packaging libshumate (which is a map display library, basically libchamplain modernized for GTK4)
  • Misc. bugfixes and package updates
4 Likes

Desktop Installler

3 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

WSL

• Updated the slide show according to the assets delivered by the design team.
  • Tested 22.04LTS images together with @jibel
  • Implemented some small enhancements around rebooting the distro and extending CLI options.
  • Pushed a PR to enable the CI build system to include the slide show build artifacts in the app bundle.
  • Pushed a new PR to finally complete the integration between WSL Launcher, OOBE and the slide show application.
  • Those are subject to further refinement upon further testing.

Ubuntu Desktop Installer

• Review a couple of PR’s.
  • Investigated alternatives for keeping the installer window non-closable while Subiquity is still working in the background for WSL thanks to this PR
2 Likes
  • did some extra fixes for use of the new logo
  • bisected mesa to figure out why gl softwares were crashing under x11
  • rebuilt intel-media-driver seems a libva update was ABI (incompatible](https://launchpad.net/bugs/1966571)
  • reviewed the status of the GNOME translations on launchpad for outdated templates or import issues
  • spent quite some time on launchpad doing bugs triaging
  • debugged upgrades to 22.04 failing due to the graphical session closing during the upgrade which turned out to be a dbus packaging issue
  • updated the gnome-initial-setup desktop override to use the right icon in ubuntu sessions
2 Likes
  • This week was mostly about finishing the AD Whitepaper changes, which are all done and on to marketing.
  • LAS: made the talks schedule, put the schedule in indico, other website updates, requested travel.
  • 3 interviews
  • hit a gnome-shell bug with xwayland. Thanks @vanvugt for all of your help :slight_smile:
3 Likes

firefox24 firefox

• prepared and tested 99.0 RC2, due for release later today
  • investigated the regression with drag’n’drop in the snap in jammy
    • it’s a snap-specific issue (although I’m not seeing the denials I would expect)
    • only affecting Wayland sessions (the default in jammy)
    • it also affects other snaps although it’s most visible in firefox
    • I tested a few downgrade/upgrade scenarii to confirm that the regression started happening when upgrading gnome-shell/mutter from 41.3 to 42
  • native messaging portal integration
    • rebased my test portal packages on the latest version in jammy
    • reworked the implementation to be fully asynchronous (but I still need to figure out some issues with objects’ lifetime when passed back and forth from JS to C++)

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• preparing updates for the 91.8.0 RC (already uploaded to jammy)

chromium22 chromium

• updated beta then stable to 100.0.4896.60
  • updated dev then beta to 101.0.4951.15

snapcraft24 snaps

• submitted a pull request to allow the system-packages-doc interface read access to Xubuntu docs, which prompted a conversation on allowing more general access to all documentation under /usr/share/*-doc{,s}/
3 Likes