Desktop Team Updates - Monday 11th April 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 4th April 2022

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Installer

Flutter

2 Likes

GNOME HUD

• Added RAM/CPU percentage used
  • Implemented overlay toggle, settings, and disable buttons
  • Added many settings
  • Made the overlay look a bit nicer
  • Added translation support
4 Likes

firefox24 firefox

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 100.0.4896.75

package24 other

4 Likes

:palm_tree: Reinstalled Ubuntu 22.04 because I failed trying to fix a Windows boot issue on my computer
:palm_tree: Verified that os-prober works correctly when installing Ubuntu 22.04 alongside Windows
:palm_tree: Submitted a bunch of osinfo-db merge proposals to improve the Ubuntu guest experience with GNOME Boxes. I’m waiting for review before uploading these changes to Ubuntu 22.04 this week.
:palm_tree: Updated libarchive to 3.6.0, allowing us to drop some revert commits from evince.
:palm_tree: Uploaded a paprefs update to 22.04 for compatibility with 22.04’s PulseAudio
:palm_tree: Cherry-picked fixes from the freerdp2 stable branch to improve Windows compatibility.
:palm_tree: Cherry-picked shotwell patch to also set dark wallpaper
:palm_tree: Cherry-picked pango patch to fix RTL navigation between lines
:palm_tree: Added a trivial autopkgtest for gnome-bluetooth3 in hopes that we can use the new gnome-bluetooth for 22.04’s GNOME Shell
:palm_tree: The extra GNOME Shell extensions have been removed from Ubuntu 22.04’s.
:palm_tree: Fixed a minor issue affecting install of ubuntu-desktop from a minimal Ubuntu install.
:palm_tree: Removed the old libgweather version from Debian
:palm_tree: Switched Debian GNOME’s default text editor to gnome-text-editor

3 Likes
  • CUPS Snap: The promotion of snapd 2.55.2 into the stable channel has actually taken place, but been withdrawn again within hours (minutes?), so quickly that due to the progressive releases some people (like @kenvandine) did not even see it. The problem was regression. @mvo has already fixed the bug and issued 2.55.3 which is in beta now. I tested 2.55.3 and principally it works. As the Pull request #11616 got merged before the release now the CUPS_SERVER environment variable get only set to /var/cups/cups.sock if the cups interface is actually plugged, detected by the bind mount on /var/cups. Thanks @mvo! But there is still another bug, changes in the environment of the Snap’s sandbox do not get applied immediately when snapd is updated, but require running snap-discard-ns on each installed Snap. See my tests in my snapcraft.io thread starting from this post and the conclusion. @mvo is working on this currently.
  • cups-filters: continued with fixes and enhancements towards the cups-filters 2.x release: This time I renamed all functions to get a consistent API and to easily distinguish between public API functions and internal functions, following the Coding style guidelines of CUPS, to extend this style to the whole OpenPrinting in the future. Silenced all remaining warnings, removed unused Kolor Manager/Oyranos support code, in pdftops() identified HP LaserJet printers more precisely to apply the correct PostScript interpreter bug workarounds (also backported to 1.28.15, included in Jammy, to have this bug fixed), let filter functions not load or modify PPD file data, added new API function to load the PPD data before running a filter chain, and let Ghostscript (9.56.0 and newer) directly output Apple Raster.
  • Retro-fitting Printer Application Snaps: Updated the code of pappl-retrofit and the patch for the c2esp printer driver (commit, commit) for the new cups-filters 2.x API. Tested all the 4 Printer Application and all is working correctly with the new API.
  • GUADEC 2022 in Guadalajara, Mexico: Submitted my proposal for a 40-minute in-person talk “The New Architecture for Printing and Scanning - What GNOME/GTK Developers Need to Know”.
  • Google Summer of Code 2022: The contributor application period at Google has opened. Helped the candidates to write their proposals and reviewed them, some proposals are already submitted now. Also coordinated that all important projects get covered. Continued mentoring the early starters.
  • Bugs.
2 Likes

4 days week

WSL:

• Worked on renaming followup for both Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and prepared 22.04 LTS.
  • Removed for now systemd experimental support from TUI, let the API for making it back later
  • More and more reviews on WSL and subiquity
  • Fix/merge livecd-rootfs changes

ADsys:

• Align refresh timer to windows one
  • Fix linting issues found by new golangci-lint
  • Released 0.8.4 with those changes
    Misc:
  • Candidate interviews, technical reviews
2 Likes
  • submitted a mp for ubiquity to update the stock installer icon with the new yaru one, thanks to the yaru team for the nice icon and for providing the needed svg images!
  • bisected mesa for the recent webkitgtk regression where views are empty under wayland, turned out that’s a bug in the webkitgtk wayland compositor when building without wpebackend which the Ubuntu package is doing. Upstream strongly suggest using the wpebackend which is default upstream and is other distributions and better tested, we will report a MIR for the corresponding packages next cycle but we need a simpler fix for this cycle. It’s worth noting that it is likely that the breakage on arm64 is also specific to the build without wpe.
  • opened a FFe to include a new webextensions portal which will be needed for confined browsers to be able to use native messaging clients
  • reviewed some translations on launchpad
  • rebuild gnome-session with the new domain set on launchpad to restore its translations
  • updated the thunderbird snap to 91.8.0
  • submitted a logo update for gnome-boxes
  • fixed a translation issue in our gnome-control-center patch for the appearance settings
  • updated the settings screen sharing to set the new gnome-remote-desktop vnc enable key
  • Tried to refresh the upload packageset but ended up with some questions
2 Likes