Desktop Team Updates - Monday 31st January 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 24th January 2022

2 Likes
5 Likes

Installer

Subiquity client

WSL Setup

Other

4 Likes

WSL

• Merged a few PR’s to conclude the first iteration of the splash screen subproject.

Visual features will be changed once the design team delivers their final design.

• Started integrating the splash with the launcher application.
  • Will continue working on that integration throughout this week.
2 Likes
  • Booked travel to sprint!!! Can’t wait to see you all again!
  • LAS website updates
  • Interviews
  • snap stuff:
    • finish eog, create pr and merged fix. tested LP build uploaded to candidate and the libportal runtime issue has been fixed but there’s still no desktop icon. still, i promoted candidate to stable so we’re not shipping super broken shit, and now it is less broken. local build investigation to find out what’s happening to the desktop icon
    • gnome-calculator. all updates were already there and pr was already open. i tested it in a focal vm and ken reviewed and merged. published release and new LP build in --stable after testing.
    • quadrapassel. no code changes needed but needed building, testing, and publishing so i did all that.
    • gnome-2048 made a release and saw that all is good.
    • gnome-chess. was already at gnome-3-38 extension and core20 but needed newer upstream branch. launched local build but fails… needs investigation. opened pr and asked ken for help
    • gnome-dictionary. put it into github and working on updating it to gnome-3-38 and core20. opened a wip pr because i’m stuck
    • cherrytree - working with a community member to build a newer release that is based on core20.
  • Had the first Indaba of the new year!! It was on theming and went relatively smoothly :slight_smile:
3 Likes
  • Set up accounts, filled out paperwork, etc as part of new hire process :heart_eyes:

• Booked my tickets to the sprint too. Will be wonderful to see friends I haven’t seen in a long time and get to meet others for the first time.

• Split the sysprof Debian/Ubuntu package into separate binary packages. The most useful benefit is that you will be able to install GNOME Builder without the sysprof app. GNOME Builder will able to use the sysprof library instead. Uploaded to Debian’s NEW queue so it will take a few weeks for this to get into Debian and Ubuntu.

• Started a discussion about selecting Ubuntu’s default remote desktop app

11 Likes
  • I will work for more 2 weeks from Brazil (UTC-03)
  • CUPS Snap: Waiting for @ijohnson’s pull request on snapd for the cups printing interface to get merged by the snapd team. We get even closer to the merge. The PR got approved by @pedronis and all but one of the tests have passed. I also got asked for doing further testing and this was successful. According to @ijohnson only a security review is needed.
  • cups-filters: Continued testing and bug-fixing to approach the 2.x release. Removed some stderr message leaks (output of messages directly to stderr instead of to log function, remainder of the time when filters were external programs), working on a way of putting pointers to log function into per-thread global variable, to create a function replacing the remaining fprintf(stderr, ...) and perror calls without needing to carry the pointers to the log functions through all function calls. Also worked with GSoC contributor candidates on their assignments we have given to him: Add input-page-ranges option to pstops() filter function, and Add input-page-ranges option to pdftopdf() filter function (merged).
  • HPLIP Printer Application: Continued to work with the reporter of Issue #2 on the problem that the firmware file does not get loaded into his HP LaserJet P1005 when it is turned on. Problem seems to occur on all architectures and it seems only to occur when the printer is turned on while the Printer Application is already running and not with the Printer Application starting while the printer is already turned on.
  • CUPS: Version 2.4.1 got released upstream.
  • Google Summer of Code 2022: For the mentoring organization application of the Linux Foundation created the front page with stubs for each sub-organizations project ideas pages, and the project ideas page for OpenPrinting. Contributor candidates continue to get CUPS and cups-filters GitHub issues as assignments and are working on them, mainly under my mentorship.
  • Bugs.
1 Like
  • Uploaded software-properties and update-notifier to jammy with new Ubuntu Pro features.
  • Fixed tests locking up when building fwupd.dart against the latest dbus.dart.
  • Released dbus.dart 0.7.0.
  • Backported patches in gnome-control-center upstream.
2 Likes

GNOME (and friends)

Packaging

6 Likes

adsys

• Script support demanding even more refactoring.

Misc

• MIR and AA work.
1 Like
  • Changed ubuntu-advantage-desktop-daemon to use /usr/libexec as requested on the MIR review
  • Updated accountsservices to correctly add admin users to the same groups as the initial user
  • Submitted a patch to upstream accountsservice to not fail adding admin users when one of the default groups doesn’t exists
  • Helped the OEM team with sponsoring of new packages,
  • Backported openssl3 compat fixes for freerdp
  • Backported a deja-dup fix for glib 2.71
  • Set up a new project on github to generate the snaps cve report using a github workflow since the machine building the versions report is a bit old for that job
  • Reviewed and accepted suggested change to add systemd-oom to the default desktop
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• prepared 91.5.1 update and handed over to the security team

chromium22 chromium

• updated beta to 98.0.4758.74
  • updated dev to 99.0.4844.11

snapcraft24 snaps

flutter24 Ubuntu Desktop Installer

3 Likes

xdg-desktop-portal:

snapd:

• Wrote up a proposal for a “private shared memory” feature in snapd. When enabled this would remove the naming restrictions for shared memory segments created by a snap, but remove the ability to see shared memory segments of other snaps or the host system. For many apps where they are only using shm for communication between different processes within the sandbox, this trade-off is worth it.
  • Created snapd PR #11312 (since merged), fixing a small bug in some file mode constants in snap-update-ns that I noticed while working on the private shared memory proposal.
4 Likes