Desktop Team Updates – Monday 30th January 2023

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates – Monday 23rd January 2023

3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Azure AD Authentication

• Started the rewriting of the NSS module in Rust;
1 Like
  • Wrote tests for and organized (1, 2) the Apport changes which will allow WSL and snap bug reporting to Github.
  • Merge WPA and XDG desktop portal from Debian.

Ubuntu Pro

Chromium

1 Like
  • Packaged gstreamer 1.22 for Ubuntu 23.04 and Debian Experimental. The Debian uploads are temporarily blocked because I uploaded the -good package to the NEW queue for the new qt6 support. There’s a good chance we can get gstreamer 1.22.0 in to Debian before the next freeze deadline.
  • The -bad set is blocked in Ubuntu while I figure out the i386 dependencies.
  • Packaged the new version of editorconfig-core for Debian and Ubuntu 23.04. This includes a security fix identified by the Ubuntu Security Team during the MIR review
  • Forwarded some Debian patches for editorconfig-core upstream where they were quickly applied.
  • Created Debian/Ubuntu package for xdg-terminal-exec. Will upload soon.
  • Sponsored trompeloeil-cpp, the final dependency needed for corectrl
  • Got text-engine into Debian after finally getting more details why the ftpmasters insisted that debian/ be specifically cited in debian/copyright. This package is required to update gnome-shell-extension-manager to a newer version.
  • The Unicode 15 emoji font update was finally accepted as a proposed update for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
  • Miscellaneous package updates
4 Likes

Desktop Installer

Software

Other

3 Likes

Software

appstream.dart

Firmware Updater

other

3 Likes

WSL

Windows Subsystem for Linux

• Implemented functionality to download the Lunar rootfs every night instead of at every CI run. WSL #345

GoWSL

A module to interface with WSL via Go

• Implemented functionality to get the distro’s UUID from the Windows registry GoWSL #30
  • Made distro-name a private field with a getter for the Distro class GoWSL #31
  • Bugfix: The WSL Windows API has a bug when attempting to redirect stdout to a file, sticking a pipe between WSL and the file fixes it GoWSL #29
  • Bugfix: When testing, I was reseeding the RNG every time I needed a random number GoWSL #33
  • Fixed my grammar in readmes and similar files GoWSL #34
2 Likes
  • sponsored update-notifier fix for a new issue due to invalid translations
  • reviewed and accepted the new cups-filter-split source packages in Lunar
  • emailed ubuntu-release to get feedback on replacing the telegram-desktop deb by a snap installer in stable series. The client needs to keep up with the service which is not the case of the deb.
  • continued testing the ubuntu pro changes
  • uploaded the software-properties B/F/J and gnome-initial-setup SRUs of ubuntu-pro changes
  • tested the update-manager ubuntu-pro SRU, fixed an issue due to client format change. Robert worked on UI glitches fixes.
  • fixed our scritps around snap to handle glimpse-editor not existing the store anymore
4 Likes

WSL

• Deactivated the hybrid OOBE from all the Ubuntu WSL apps. Since then only the Windows-only version of the installer is available. #344
  • Made the Ubuntu 22.04 app available for the wsl --install command. ms/WSL #9469

UDI

Subiquity

• Investigated the requirements to support AD joining on installation.
2 Likes

Steam Snap

• Fixed GPU detection script
    • Can use --list to list available GPUs, and --gpu <id> to select a GPU to run Steam with. This just sets the DRI_PRIME env variable and other NVIDIA variables if an NVIDIA card.
  • Troubleshot some issues
  • Started spec for Steam tool
    • Messed around with creating a Flutter app

Gaming Graphics

• Fixed various package issues among the graphics branches, example
2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

• worked around failing builds for firefox snap beta 110
  • rewriting the new version check script to be simpler and more robust (ongoing)
  • further testing of patch against 109.x for crash when [screen-]sharing a window on Wayland (Bug 1790496)
  • set up development environment and built firefox trunk in preparation for hacking on the firefox code base in the near future

thunderbird24 thunderbird

• tried investigating new issue with incomplete thunderbird 102.7.0 translations, no concrete conclusions so far
3 Likes

I will return to Vienna (UTC +01) tomorrow

• cups-filters: Zdenek Dohnal from Red Hat removed some unnecessary dependencies (Avahi, GLib, zlib, Freetype) from libcupsfilters which got overlooked during the separation. Thanks a lot!
  • PAPPL: Posted the MIR for the Printer Application library. The package synced already from Debian.
  • OpenPrinting: Improved GitHub web UI by adding templates for issue submissions to the CUPS and cups-filters repositories. This adds a selection page when the “New Issue” button gets clicked, not only allowing to select the template (“Bug report”, “Feature Request”) but also providing a button for a private security bug report. Shortly after Zdenek Dohnal already refined the one of CUPS and added a REPORTING_ISSUES.md file. We will soon add this on the remaining repositories of OpenPrinting.
  • Linux App Summit 2023 in Brno: Started planning my contributions. For now I will submit a talk to report about the state of the art of the printing part of the GNOME Control Center and about the addition of Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB) support to the print dialogs (GTK, Qt, browsers, …), around 30 min talk and 15 min AMA/Q&A and I will also submit an OpenPrinting BoF. I talked already with Zdenek Dohnal (Red Hat printing maintainer) and Marek Kasik (GNOME/GTK printing maintainer, also Red Hat), both living in the Brno area and they will both attend LAS and be present in my 2 sessions, to participate in the discussion and answer questions. I will soon submit the session proposals.
  • Google Summer of Code 2023: Continued assigning GitHub issues and other work items to contributor candidates and mentored them on working on the issues.
  • Bugs.
2 Likes