Desktop Team Updates - Monday 25th July 2022

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week. If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse .

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 18th July 2022

1 Like
1 Like

Desktop installer

WSL OOBE

Subiquity (client)

Flutter

P.S. I’ll be on vacation for the next two weeks. :tent:

4 Likes
2 Likes

WSL

Ubuntu-release-upgrader

Apport

2 Likes

firefox24 firefox

chromium22 chromium

• updated stable to 103.0.5060.134
  • updating beta to 104.0.5112.57
  • updating dev to 105.0.5191.2
  • per request from Opera, updated chromium-ffmpeg to 105.0.5176.3, and published to the candidate channel, pending validation on their end
3 Likes

I had a wonderful week at DebConf and am on my way back home now.

:airplane: I led one discussion (Debian GNOME metapackages #286) and gave two other talks (Ubuntu & Debian GNOME working together #60 and What’s New in GNOME since the last Debian Stable release #186). You can download the videos at https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2022/DebConf22/ . They will be mirrored to YouTube later.

:airplane: This was my first DebConf and I had many useful conversations with people I had only interacted with remotely before. But many of the great conversations were with others who were also attending their first DebConf.

:airplane: I mentored someone’s first official Debian package where it’s now in the Debian NEW queue.

:airplane: Completed the complicated phodav/spice-gtk/etc transition for Ubuntu 22.10 and wrote up some notes in case they help other distros.

:airplane: Added some useful keywords to the .desktop for the new GNOME Text Editor for improved discoverability from the Activities Overview.

:airplane: Helped a bit with coordination of the libnotify 0.8.1 release which fixed an accidental compatibility break especially with Python apps that used that library.

3 Likes

WSL

Refactoring and developer experience improvements in preparation for implementing the support for the Windows OOBE:

Also, reviewed PR’s 227 - to prepare metadata for release of 22.04.1, 222 - better testing for the launcher source code, and 221 - interprocess synchronization.

Working now on the integration of the Windows-only OOBE with the launcher.

UDI

Reviewed PRs 992, 1004, 1009, 1014, 1013, 1012, 1011, 1017, 1016 and 1024

2 Likes
  • Joined the Canonical mid-cycle review sprint
  • Reviewed a subiquity spec for post installation hooks, needed for the new desktop installer
  • Fixed speech-dispatcher prompting about a conffile change on upgrades
  • Fixed the gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders directory information being wrong in the gdk-pixbuf .pc
  • Investigated pdf rendering issues in the firefox snap. Turns out to be because so /etc/fonts/conf.d fontconfig configuration entries point to /usr/share/fontconfig files not available in the snap environement
  • continued poking a getting vulkan working in the chromium snap
  • tweaked the installer only session on the desktop canary image
  • merged the current ell which iwd was depwaiting on
  • verified the french langpack candidate updates for the LTS .1 and unsure that the new gtk translations were correctly included
3 Likes

Sorry for the delay, yesterday was holiday.

• Migrated Gnome Contacts, Gnome Calendar, Gnome Recipes, Gnome Klotski, Gnome Mines, Gnome Chess, Gnome 2048, Quadrapassel (and fixed it) to Core22/Gnome42 snaps.
  • Updated versions in Gnome42 SDK
  • Fixed several libraries in Gnome42 SDK
  • Fixed several broken links in Gnome42 Contents and SDK
  • Several space updates in Gnome42 SDK and Contens
  • Added -Doptimization and -Ddebug to all parts in Gnome42 SDK
2 Likes

Steam Snap

• Fixed issue on HiDPI screens and not displaying the correct cursor
  • Fixed missing locale
  • Added more details to the README
  • Triaging/testing bugs and fixes for other issues
1 Like

Enterprise

• Finished my on boarding tasks;
  • Got to meet my team and talk a little with some other members of the Desktop Team (Nice talking with you guys!);
  • Started contributing with some functionalities for the AAD:
    • Added options for overriding homedir and shell;
    • Added some tests;
    • Working on making the configuration overridable per domain;
4 Likes

Azure Active Directory:

• Fix error handling in pam/nss
  • Handle cache creation/minimizing the number of cache hit and miss
  • Reset a test environment locally
  • Present the project to Gabriel and Denison

Active Directory:

• Multiple reviews of Gabriel’s fixes (thanks!)
  • Release of adsys with Gabriel + prepare SRU. Still an issue building the package on some archs though, so blocked in proposed for now

Misc:

3 Likes