Desktop Team Updates - Monday 23rd March 2020

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: Desktop Team Updates - Monday 16th March 2020

Snap Store:

  • Imported launchpad translations during the build MR
  • Stage libegl-mesa0 in the platform snaps, this is needed for apps that require EGL
1 Like
  • Worked on adding new descriptions for snap interfaces in gnome-control-center. Wrote forum post on snapd for feedback on a scalable solution for this.
  • Patched settings to enable selecting the default (i.e. Yaru) sound effect.
  • Rebased snap-store on gnome-software git master.
  • zsys
    • Lot of fixes to the state removal and garbage collector
    • Added test suite for the garbage collector
  • ISO testing

:desktop_computer: Gnome Shell:

:house: House keeping:

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlog tracking



  • Lot of fixes to the state removal and garbage collector
  • Starting test suite for the garbage collector
  • Found many issue with dependencies, removal and GC, continue investigation (still not fully done, too many corner cases)


  • Pre-New review on pydrive
  • Some (more?) work on getting appstream-generator updated in the staging environment, should be ready to switch over the main instance later this week.
  • Helping to get gnome shell 3.36.0 ready to push, is prepared…
    • but before that can be done, need to clear some transitions out of focal-proposed, so I helped with that a bit.
  • Updated gnome-shell packaging to move the “Extensions” app to a different package, so as not to install it by default for everyone who it’s not useful for.
  • Had some discussions with release team members and others about how to best manage release week and the period leading up to it - usually we’d be together in person, but not this time.
1 Like
  • Snapcraft: Regarding the interface through which snapped apps can print via the CUPS snap scheduled a meeting between me, @ijohnson, @jdstrand, and Samuele Pedroni on Tuesday, right after the Desktop Team Meeting.
  • libmtp: The UDEV rules of this support library for USB-connected audio and video players test positive on many printers setting the group ownership to “audio” making the printers inaccessible for printing software (Bug 1863239). Provided a patch/debdiff to solve this problem. Only needs a friendly core-dev to upload.
  • gsfonts: My bug report asking to remove the dependencies on this package which is unmaintained for more than a decade was successful. In the packages python3-reportlab and libwmf the dependency got replaced by fonts-urw-base35. Thanks @seb128.
  • HPLIP: The FFe for version 3.20.3 got accepted, so the newest HP printers are supported (if they are not supported anyway thanks to driverless printing and scanning).
  • cups-filters: Released 1.27.3 upstream to off-load the pending bug fixes to make way for the feature development to support Printer Applications, as mentioned here last week.
  • CUPS: I got the first sign of life from Apple after Michael Sweet has left. I got answers on my two bug reports, one about mangling IPP attribute names, and one about cupsctl corrupting the cupsd.conf file.
  • SANE: Explained the IPP Scan/Scanner Application concept to the author of the “airscan” backend. Succeeded to stop the dispute between the maintainers of the two eSCL/AirScan backends, “escl” and “airscan”, also successfully revived the request for inclusion of the “airscan” backend and made the two maintainers of the “escl” and “airscan” join their projects!!.
  • Google Summer of Code 2020: Continued to prepare the student candidates for writing their proposals and reviewed incoming proposals together with the mentors. Especially Michael Sweet helped in explaining PAPPL and Alexander Pevzner explained how SANE works to the IPP Scan student. Deadline for the proposals is March 31.
  • OpenPrinting: Monthly phone meeting and OpenPrinting News for March 2020. Zdenek Dohnal, printing maintainer of Red Hat, thanked me (and also Michael Sweet) for the “detailed description of the Printer Applications behavior” in this post.
  • Bugs.

firefox24 firefox

  • spent some time looking into an NSS issue to understand the proposed solution and its implications, and asked the security team to comment

thunderbird24 thunderbird

chromium22 chromium

package24 other

  • investigated and fixed a bug in ubuntu-themes that caused an unhandled error in librsvg that caused a crash in ubiquity
1 Like
  • Focal
    • Continued on GNOME 3.36 updates, we are mostly done now
    • Sorted out some translations teams access and reviewed pending templates
    • Started a transition ppa for the new poppler, fixed some builds
    • updated packages to use fonts-urw-base35 instead of gsfonts to demote
    • updated gamemode to address the MIR review comments
    • packaged pydrive, needed for deja-dup google drive’s integration
    • updated plymouth to a new git snapshot including some improvements and fixes
    • set up translations for snap-store
  • Proposed migration
    • Debugged webkitgtk failed on ppc, upstreamed and tested fixes
    • Debugged/fixed gcr failing to build (due to -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions)
    • fixed the libnotify autopkgtest on i386
  • Other
    • Canonical HR reviews
1 Like

Shelly stuff

  • Fixed one more issue with appindicator extension
  • Dash to dock, fixed various issues:
    • Fixed an infinite loop we had during allocation (revealed by a correct upstream change)
    • Fixed an issue causing the windows go offscreen in the activity overview (LP: #1834967)
    • Fixed an issue causing the icons emblems not to show again on unlock (LP: #1756837)
    • Various more cleanups and upstrem merges
  • Upstream fixes:
    • Fixed an issue causing the chat messages not to be notified (!1112)
    • Some telepathyClient cleanups
    • Few updates to the gjs fix to support inout parameters in callbacks (will be needed by the dock) (!404)
    • Don’t make gjs crash if a vfunc doesn’t return an expected array of values (!405
    • Make minijasmine (gjs test tool) to list and run a single test (!406)
  • Yaru:
    • Use gresource file to theme the whole shell (allows to theme all the icons)
    • Make gdm3 to use the gdm3 theme from gresource file [commit 1, 2] and released in 20.04.3
    • Update the gresource icons to have higher priority than Humanity icons causing a buggy on-screen-keyboard experience and relased in 20.04.4
  • Few reviews on the desktop-icons extension


  • Moved all the ubuntu-desktop packages git repositories to salsa (longer description)
  • mutter:
    • Prepared update to 3.36 [MR, bileto]
    • Updated the xrandr-scaling patch to work with new upstream code
    • Cherry-picked few patches by @vanvugt
  • gnome-shell:
    • Prepared update to 3.35 [MR, bileto]
    • Use yaru gresource file for both normal and gdm3 modes (needs some breaks and transitions from ubuntu-session)
    • Include few patches from @vanvugt
  • gnome-session:
    • Don’t make it install gdm3.css symlink alternative anymore (we do it all in the shell now) [MR]
  • mozjs68: prepared debian update to new upstream version 68.6.0


  • Some tests on XPS13 driver
  • Looking into fixing gnome-control-center issues (visual and not) with many enroll stages
  • Few updates to the tod example driver (to include udev rules files)
  • Some contacts and triaging to OEM drivers authors

snapd portals support:

  • Further testing of Firefox’s support for xdg-desktop-portal w.r.t. snaps.
  • As well as known the previously known problems, I ran into a new one where Firefox was relying on the user’s choice of a filter in a “file save” dialog to control behaviour. However xdg-desktop-portal provides no information about what filter the user chose. I’ve filed xdg-desktop-portal bug #458 to track this.
  • To improve behaviour of applications that use the sandbox’s /usr/bin/xdg-open proxy, I’ve been working on a patch to have it prefer xdg-desktop-portal over snap userd: snapd PR #8289. For opening links, this should be invisible. If used to open local files, it should result in a much nicer UI to the existing ugly Zenity dialog. This is close to being ready to land, with the spread test succeeding on most systems.

snapd dbus activation support:

  • There were some race conditions in some of the session agent spread tests. I was asked to look into it, and put together snapd PR #8318 to try and address it. Sometimes the session agent socket was not available when the test body started running, leading to a test failure. The fix was to wait for the unit to finish starting before running the tests.
  • I’m fixing up the last issues with the user daemons branch. I’ve added some more test coverage, but need to turn some warnings into hard errors.
1 Like
  • USN refreshes: cherrytree, glimpse-editor, libreoffice
  • build new libreoffice 6.4.2 release in ppa, got all autopkgtests passing
  • 360 review
  • Updated gnome-3-34-1804-sdk snap to use gtk 3.24.11 instead of 3.24.10, which meant adding a wayland-protocols part too. This included a side investigation into all of the upstream bugs fixed between 3.24.10 - 3.24.14 to see if we wanted to make the full upgrade but we decided to leave that for the gnome-3-36 build snap
  • Started a gnome-3-36 build snap and updating all of the parts