Desktop Team Updates - Monday 17th February 2020

Hi everyone, below you will find the updates from the Desktop team from the last week.

If you’re interested in discussing a topic please start a thread in the Desktop area of Discourse.
We also have our weekly meeting on IRC. We meet on Tuesday at 13:30 UTC in #ubuntu-desktop on Freenode. There will be an “Any Other Business” section at the end where you are welcome to raise topics. These topics might be discussed during the meeting, or afterwards depending on the time, depth of conversation, topic and so on.

Last week’s notes are here: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/desktop-team-updates-monday-10th-february-2020/14260

1 Like
  • Released simple-scan 3.34.4, 3.35.91
  • Released gnome-control-center 3.34.4
  • Updated simple-scan in focal to 3.35.91-0ubuntu1
  • Updated gnome-control-center in focal to 3.35.91-0ubuntu1
  • Tidy up and merge changes for gnome-control-center 3.36
  • Worked on snap login dialog for GNOME Software.
2 Likes
  • Zsys:
    • Added more commands: “List” machines and changed the output of “dump”
    • Started work on garbage collector
  • SRU verification.
  • Some stats.

:desktop_computer: Gnome Shell:

:chart_with_downwards_trend: Backlog tracking

2 Likes

libreoffice24-margin LibreOffice

• Released 1:6.4.0-0ubuntu4 to focal.
    • Finally unblocked, amongst others, the python3-defaults update.
  • Prepared and uploaded 1:6.4.0-0ubuntu5/6 to focal-proposed.
    • Added transitional packages for -gtk2 and -kde4.
    • Fixed ppc64el build - rebuilt for icu soname change.
  • Continued mentoring @hellsworth in LibreOffice packaging.
    • Tied up a few loose ends on bugs and the 6.4.0 release.
    • Will be more hands-off and allow Heather to take the lead now.

Snapcraft Snaps

• Continued snap startup speed investigation.
  • Some work on 20.04 snap2deb transitions.
1 Like

firefox24 firefox

• prepared 73.0+build3 update, published to bionic, eoan and focal, but xenial update still blocked on the new C++17 requirement

chromium22 chromium

package24 other

3 Likes
  • Vac, only one work day
  • Catching up with the backlog
  • Sponsoring (vala, indicator-datetime)
  • Reviewed the proposed-migration blocked items, did some pinging about issues
  • Fixed the dee/focal build
  • More work on the OEM installer support. I think the ubuntu-drivers part is more or less good now so I’ve been working on the installer side. It’s still super janky but hopefully I’ll get it finished this week.
  • Done and sponsored a few GNOME updates: glib, gobject-introspection, etc.
  • Fixed e-d-s which had an i386 change accidentally dropped

Zsys:

• Added more commands: “List” machines and changed the output of “dump”
  • Started work on garbage collector
  • Continue some refactoring/cleanup of code

Misc:

• Started some MIR reviewed
  • Yaru team support
1 Like
  • fonts-urw-base35: MIR got solved and so the package into Main.
  • ghostscript: With the MIR of fonts-urw-base35 being solved the new Ghostscript 9.50 package made it into 20.04. Only delta to Debian is the exception to not build with -O3 on ppc64el.
  • ghostscript: The “cups” and “pwgraster” output devices did not correctly generate CMY raster output, causing messed up printouts in most cases but also segmentation faults sometimes, breaking the autopkg tests of the printer-driver-c2esp (Kodak printer driver) package which prevents the migration of CUPS from -proposed. Uploaded 9.50~dfsg-5ubuntu2 with the CMY output upstream bug fixed, which should solve the problem.
  • hplip: After Python 3.8 having made it from -proposed into the release, merged the newest HPLIP package from Debian (3.19.12+dfsg0-4ubuntu1), containing lots of patches from Red Hat.
  • SANE: Created debdiffs to update SANE to 1.0.29 on both Debian and Ubuntu. The package is needed in 20.04 to get the new “escl” backend for AirScan (driverless scanning) to get rid all these nasty driver problems, including users messing with HPLIP. So I need someone to upload it before Feature Freeze.
  • ippusbxd: Received contributions for ippusbxd to DNS-SD-advertise both the printer and the scanner parts of multi-function devices. I will release 1.34 soon.
  • cups-filters: Released 1.27.1 with many bug fixes, especially all filters support zero-page jobs now, PPDs are generated in a way that a CUPS bug messing up IPP attribute names is worked around, … Thanks for all the GSoC student candidates for their conntributions.
  • Printer Application Framework: Moved the GSoC project into the OpenPrinting GitHub, cleaned up the code, evaluated what is needed to convert driver packages.
  • ipp-usb, pyppd: Moved also these projects into the OpenPrinting GitHub
  • Avahi: Finally! Trent Lloyd has merged the patch for localhost support (after 3 (!) years)!
  • OpenPrinting: Monthly phone meeting and OpenPrinting News for February 2020.
  • Google Summer of Code 2020: Continued to let student candidates work on assignments (like cups-filters bugs) to evaluate them for this year’s GSoC.
  • Bugs.
3 Likes

snapd pull requests:

• I’ve been finishing off the updates to my user daemons branch (PR #5822). I’ve got the call outs to the session agent in place, but am still have a bit of work to complete on the tests. I hope to have something ready to review tomorrow.

20.04 ibus/snapd incompatibility

• Yesterday I spent some time tracking down why keyboard input had broken for desktop snap apps on 20.04. It turned out the underlying cause was a backport of a change to the ibus socket location, which was not covered by the AppArmor profiles generated by snapd. It turned out that jdstrand had put together a fix on Friday (PR #8139). There is a new snapd package containing the fix in focal-proposed.
1 Like

Fingerprint

• Some RFC for improve ability for drivers to use the quick-match path [MR]
  • Fixed some more memory leaks in fprintd [MR, merged]
  • fprintd CI and tests improvements [1, 2, 3]
  • Some contacts with OEM

GNOME 3.36 packaging (see trello board)

• Got mozjs68 packaged and new gjs
  • Prepared mutter 3.35 (all done, MRs coming)
  • Gnome shell under works as waiting for gjs
1 Like

GNOME Software/Snap Store snap

• Debugging issue with installed debs not showing in the installed page. This looks like a problem in the snapd appstream-metadata interface. I’m working on a fix still.

GNOME Build Snap/Extension

• Setup some LP builds using the gnome-3-34 extension for further testing

GTK Theme Snaps

3 Likes

Libreoffice

#1797373: Investigated if bug has been fixed in 6.4.0. Short answer is: half of it is still an issue
#1862331: looked into it but wasn’t sure how to move forward so thanks @oSoMoN for helping sort this one out
#1862027: worked on reproducing to file bug upstream. setup kerberos server/client scenario but ran into issue setting up AFS but i think I know what’s wrong and just need to try again.
#1862855: assisted user in finding files in the LO snap
#1863282: reproduced an issue about the missing menu bar in the LO deb for kde and I believe this issue will go away when the next kde plasma iso comes out (based on 20.04) because it will have libreoffice-kde5 rather than libreoffice-kde4.
#1862707: assisted user in finding hidden files
• Responded to users that reached out with libreoffice questions

Build snap

• Worked towards adding sigc++, mm-common, glibmm, pangomm, cairomm, gtkmm to the build snap. Currently just fixing up pangomm and cairomm builds then the whole thing should build. current snapcraft.yaml
◇ building glibmm with NOCONFIGURE has a possible race condition and doesn’t build balancedtree.cc all the time which took @kenvandine and myself down a rabbit hole. i also emailed upstream about this (and ping’d them on #gtk irc) but no response. we found a workaround though
• experimented with modifying the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the snapcraft extension that uses the build snap, to investigate failures building epiphany
• started building gnome-system-monitor with the gnome-3-34 extension to test gtkmm in build snap but found issue that led to further iterations on build snap

Other stuff

• USN refreshes: cherrytree, glimpse-editor, libreoffice
• LAS organization
• Reviewed snapcraft PR 2930

2 Likes